Arimidex

Options
ACD57
ACD57 Member Posts: 9
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi there,
This is my first time posting. I had a mastectomy with tissue expander on my left breast 4 weeks ago and my oncologist wants me to start on Arimidex when I'm ready to return to work in about 2 weeks. I was wondering if anyone can give me some insight on what it's like to be on the drug. (The side effects I've read about are not too enticing).

Thank you. A

Comments

• sure_hope
    sure_hope Member Posts: 60
    Options
    personally
    I didn't have any side affects. None what so ever.

sheri
  • sure_hope
    sure_hope Member Posts: 60
    Options
    correction
    I mean, I did not have any side 'effects'. :)
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    Arimidex
    Last Saturday, I finished 5 years of Arimidex...the only "side effect" I had was that I did NOT have a recurrance of cancer! Definitely worth it, doncha think??!! Good luck to you!

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • Derbygirl
    Derbygirl Member Posts: 198
    Options
    I'm taking Femara which is
    I'm taking Femara which is in the same group of drugs as Arimidex for post-menopausal womenn. My Oncologist mentioned common side effects as muscle aches, hot flashes, vaginal dryness and osteoporosis. After taking Femara for three months I have lower back aches and vaginal dryness. Glucosamine/chondroitin was added by my Onc at the same time as Femara. We all react differently to meds so don't expect to feel a certain way. There are side effects with all meds, but for preventing recurrence of breast cancer, the potential benefit outweighs the side effects for me.
  • kay48
    kay48 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Arimidex-aromatase inhibitor
    I have taken Femara for 2 years now and didn't have any significant side effects until about 6 months after I started. I have muscle and joint pain especially in my wrists and fatigue but main thing has become bone loss because I cannot take Fosamax or Boniva because it gives me chest pain. Everyone is different and my oncologist said that if you have had some of the side effects that an aromatase inhibitor can give you in the past, you will probably get them again because the medicine aggrevates them.
  • CHERYL25671
    CHERYL25671 Member Posts: 20
    Options
    kay48 said:

Arimidex-aromatase inhibitor
    I have taken Femara for 2 years now and didn't have any significant side effects until about 6 months after I started. I have muscle and joint pain especially in my wrists and fatigue but main thing has become bone loss because I cannot take Fosamax or Boniva because it gives me chest pain. Everyone is different and my oncologist said that if you have had some of the side effects that an aromatase inhibitor can give you in the past, you will probably get them again because the medicine aggrevates them.

arimidex
    ive been on it since dec 04 no side effects just great news still in remission its worth every pill love nprayers ull be ok
  • ACD57
    ACD57 Member Posts: 9
    Options

arimidex
    ive been on it since dec 04 no side effects just great news still in remission its worth every pill love nprayers ull be ok

Arimidex
    Thank you all for your comments, they are greatly appreciated. My onc said that 1 out of 5-7 women do get the joint and bone pain and that if you have a history of arthritis then you will more than likely experience this side effect. He also said that it may increase hot flashes, but should diminish over a few months time. He's a wonderful onc who often puts a positive spin on everything and I had just wanted to hear it from women who are actually taking the drug. A good side effect of it for women like myself who had infiltrating lobular carcenoma where there is a risk of it returning in the other breast, Arimidex cuts that risk by 50%! Well, I'll find out in a couple of weeks how it works on me.

Again, thank you!
    A
  • raclea
    raclea Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Arimidex
    I just had a lumpectomy in Feb. 09 and just had my first appt with my medical oncologist. My diagnosis was Stage 1, clean lymph nodes (Thank God). However, I will start radiation in a couple of weeks. I'm otherwise a healthy 72. My oncologist prescribed Arimidex, which the pamphlet states is "for postmenopausal women with hormone receptor-positive early breast cancer." I have not started it yet. Like you, the side affects listed really scare me as I do have arthritis and am not looking forward to additional joint problems or any of the other side affects that go with it, but I'm willing to put up with whatever I have to in order to avoid a recurrence.
  • LyndyD
    LyndyD Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Armidex - Side Effects
    Greetings,

Just read your message on CSN---------I just signed-up for it. I have been on Armidex
    for about 9 months. I was apprehensive too about going on it-------but since I am
    estrogen positive with my breast cancer I feel I need to go on it to stop the
    estrogen from fueling any tumors. When I first started I had some
    insomnia, but that went away in a month and maybe not related to
    the drug. I have talked with several gals in a support group I am
    in and they say they are having some memory problems, but not big
    enough to stop it. They also talked about concentration had become
    a bit difficult. Some have some joint pain, that is listed as one
    of the side effects. I try to get enough calcium, since as you know
    this drug effects the bones resulting in some bone lost.
    Anyway, e-mail me at Lyndy1111@hotmail and we can discuss what you
    have heard.
  • LyndyD
    LyndyD Member Posts: 5
    Options
    chenheart said:

Arimidex
    Last Saturday, I finished 5 years of Arimidex...the only "side effect" I had was that I did NOT have a recurrance of cancer! Definitely worth it, doncha think??!! Good luck to you!

Hugs,
    Claudia

Armidex Question
    Claudia,

Did you just stop after five years? How about the estrogen not being
    blocked? Did you go on anything else? I am menapausal-
    Thanks, LyndyD
  • libmama
    libmama Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Arimidex
    I joined CSN tonight and have enjoyed reading everyone's stories so much I feel I know you all. You are great the way you support each other and really care. I hope to join you and be part of the great cancer family of supporters. I didn't know how it would feel to hear others talk of the same things I've been feeling, now I do. I have taken Arimidex for one month, almost month and a half. Have trouble sleeping, don't know if its the coffee. HA. There's so many different sides of taking this stuff, I don't know what to do, just go with my Dr. and hope its the right thing, I guess. GOOD LUCK, everyone, and God Bless.
  • ohilly
    ohilly Member Posts: 441
    Options
    libmama said:

Arimidex
    I joined CSN tonight and have enjoyed reading everyone's stories so much I feel I know you all. You are great the way you support each other and really care. I hope to join you and be part of the great cancer family of supporters. I didn't know how it would feel to hear others talk of the same things I've been feeling, now I do. I have taken Arimidex for one month, almost month and a half. Have trouble sleeping, don't know if its the coffee. HA. There's so many different sides of taking this stuff, I don't know what to do, just go with my Dr. and hope its the right thing, I guess. GOOD LUCK, everyone, and God Bless.

hair thinning/insomnia
    I take Femara, which is a cousin of Arimidex. I have had a lot of hair thinning and severe insomnia. But it's worth it to keep the Beast away.

Ohilly
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    side effects
    I'm on exemestane, also known as aromasin. It is a cousin of arimidex and works about the same way. I definately have had some hot flashes and a little dryness. The joint pain that this stuff is famous for went away as soon as I was tested for vitamin D deficiency and put on prescription strength vitamin D3. I was quite sure my level would be okay before I was tested. However, in spite of calcium+D supplements, a multi with D, and 4 glasses of milk with added vitamin D each day, I was way low. As soon as that problem was remedied, the joint pain in my feet disappeared. This was after a year of "ouching". Moral of the the story: if it hurts, get to the right doctor and get help. This board is a great place to come to for advice if things aren't working for you on a given drug. We are all different and may have different concerns on any given drug, but if you have a problem, it is likely that someone else with the same problem may have found a solution that works.
  • peggy65
    peggy65 Member Posts: 100
    Options
    cabbott said:

side effects
    I'm on exemestane, also known as aromasin. It is a cousin of arimidex and works about the same way. I definately have had some hot flashes and a little dryness. The joint pain that this stuff is famous for went away as soon as I was tested for vitamin D deficiency and put on prescription strength vitamin D3. I was quite sure my level would be okay before I was tested. However, in spite of calcium+D supplements, a multi with D, and 4 glasses of milk with added vitamin D each day, I was way low. As soon as that problem was remedied, the joint pain in my feet disappeared. This was after a year of "ouching". Moral of the the story: if it hurts, get to the right doctor and get help. This board is a great place to come to for advice if things aren't working for you on a given drug. We are all different and may have different concerns on any given drug, but if you have a problem, it is likely that someone else with the same problem may have found a solution that works.

arimidex
    yes, i have joint pain but i thought it was because i was getting old! but with reading your entry, i am going to check with my doc, whom i see next week, about the D3. thanks so much. i so have insomnia which is a pain. i guess i have just sort of accepted the fact that i am not going to feel as good as i did before cancer. so with you info, i am on a new mission! hope you are feeling better. hugs, peggy
  • JoMama54
    JoMama54 Member Posts: 78
    Options
    Now an arimidex girl.
    ACD57,
    I was on Femara for 6 months after my mastectomy and I hurt all over especially in my legs feet and hands. My oncologist changed me to Arimidex 3 weeks ago and I already feel a big difference. The only thing I hate with it is my trigger thumb I get once in awhile. Thank heavens it's in my left hand and not in by BINGO dobbing right hand!
    Hugs..........................JoMama