skin after radiation

Options
neda
neda Member Posts: 36
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I guess some of you have ben through radiation. I am wondering if I survive, is there any way to get red of effected skin after radiation ? for example by plastic surgery?

Comments

• seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    skin heals
    I had radiation, as have many BC survivors. While you are going through it, it can seem like your skin will never be the same again, but if you follow the Drs. orders and keep it moisturized, it will heal up once the radiation is finished. I used Aquaphor, which is an over-the-counter ointment much like Vaseline Petroleum Jelly (same active ingredient). Keep it slathered on liberally twice a day...wear loose clothes...drink lots of water. It will get better. For me the skin was back to normal within three months(with just a faint tan line left where the radiation was). They use tiny tattoo marks, like freckles, to let them know where the rads need to go or not go. Those are permanent, but barely visible, even though I know where they are.

Best Wishes, seof
  • neda
    Options
    seof said:

skin heals
    I had radiation, as have many BC survivors. While you are going through it, it can seem like your skin will never be the same again, but if you follow the Drs. orders and keep it moisturized, it will heal up once the radiation is finished. I used Aquaphor, which is an over-the-counter ointment much like Vaseline Petroleum Jelly (same active ingredient). Keep it slathered on liberally twice a day...wear loose clothes...drink lots of water. It will get better. For me the skin was back to normal within three months(with just a faint tan line left where the radiation was). They use tiny tattoo marks, like freckles, to let them know where the rads need to go or not go. Those are permanent, but barely visible, even though I know where they are.

Best Wishes, seof

Thank you so much for
    Thank you so much for advices. Can you please tell me how many weeks of Radiation you had?

I am going to have 6 weeks. Can I have enegy to move at home since there is no one around me?

Thank you, Neda.
  • base61ball
    base61ball Member Posts: 125
    Options
    Radiation
    Radiation was a cake walk compared to chemo. I did not experience the fatigue that so many have posted. The only aggravating thing was it gets old after awhile going every day for six weeks. My skin is pretty much back to normal - my last rad was in November, 2008. I'm alone, too, so understand your concerns. Be sure to use the creams after every treatment whether you have redness or not - believe that is what kept me from blistering toward the end. I went to Walgreens and got PURE aloe. Its in a tube in the suntan lotion section. It worked perfectly for me and was not too expensive.
  • Derbygirl
    Derbygirl Member Posts: 198
    Options
    I finished 25 days of
    I finished 25 days of radiation on Christmas Eve 2008 and the skin color may be slightly different, but not that noticeable. At the end of the third week of radiation my skin became red and tender and Aquafor was started. It progressively got a little worse and I was given Silver Sulfadiazine to use instead. These products cause a mess on the bra so non-adhesive guaze was used. One week after treatment was finished nothing was needed. Others on this network will share their experiences and hopefully you'll see that it's not that bad. Good luck.
  • neda
    Options

Radiation
    Radiation was a cake walk compared to chemo. I did not experience the fatigue that so many have posted. The only aggravating thing was it gets old after awhile going every day for six weeks. My skin is pretty much back to normal - my last rad was in November, 2008. I'm alone, too, so understand your concerns. Be sure to use the creams after every treatment whether you have redness or not - believe that is what kept me from blistering toward the end. I went to Walgreens and got PURE aloe. Its in a tube in the suntan lotion section. It worked perfectly for me and was not too expensive.

Thank you so much for your
    Thank you so much for your uplifting note. You know sometimes I think I don't have to be so much worry. the good thing about it is that I have become closer to God. I believe he is watching me. the other thing I learned in this site is that many people continue being positive. I Have been in bed since christmas. But, I want and I wish I can get back to my normal life, or let say close to that.

Which state do you live? I am in Iowa. very cold. I wish I could go and have a walk. however, it will get better soon.

one more question; what about the planning? when they put those dots, or tatoos on your skin? is that painfull?

Have a peacefull day and thank you so much.
  • jakeca
    jakeca Member Posts: 92
    Options
    neda said:

Thank you so much for your
    Thank you so much for your uplifting note. You know sometimes I think I don't have to be so much worry. the good thing about it is that I have become closer to God. I believe he is watching me. the other thing I learned in this site is that many people continue being positive. I Have been in bed since christmas. But, I want and I wish I can get back to my normal life, or let say close to that.

Which state do you live? I am in Iowa. very cold. I wish I could go and have a walk. however, it will get better soon.

one more question; what about the planning? when they put those dots, or tatoos on your skin? is that painfull?

Have a peacefull day and thank you so much.

Tattoos
    I was mapped and tattooed two weeks ago. Nothing to it. I felt a little tiny prick with each tattoo, but very insignificant. Don't be frightened. I begin radiation tomorrow. Yea! One step closer to being finished with treatment and getting back to normal.

You should also know that they may take pictures. I was glad that I read that on the boards before that day, because then I was prepared. It is a little unnerving. They do it to document their work. They avoided my face in the pictures and assured me that the pictures would never be seen by anyone other than what was necessary for my treatment. I guess I'm "Miss Modesty" because I did not particularly care for that. Had I not known in advance, I might not have reacted very well.