my turn

Options
johnnybegood
johnnybegood Member Posts: 1,117 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
i guess its my turn now just got a call i go monday to have my port put in [yeehaw] i am so scared but i know i can count on my friends here. i had a bad day yesterday after my onc told me 12 rounds in 6 months but i just have to cowgirl up and do it. hope everyone is having a good day......God bless johnnybegood

Comments

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Options
    Port
    I am sure that things will go just fine. It seems like this board has a lot of posts on ports and most people say that it is a breeze. I haven't gotten to that point in my process yet, but you will get through it.

Good Luck and
    God Bless!
    Kim
  • glinka65
    glinka65 Member Posts: 132
    Options
    your port
    dont worry the procedure is a breeze but you will be sore afterwards!! i just got mine done on wed, everyone here was a huge help!!!!! anything i can do just give me a shout!! Tommy
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Options
    Port Surgery.......
    Here is how it will go...........

Try to be the first in the morning so that you can eat something quicker the day of surgery.
    It will be the easiest thing you do throughout this whole ordeal.
    It is a 30-45 minute operation. Simple task...
    It gives your kids (if you have any) a button to turn you on and off with like a robot.
    They normally give you a chest exray afterwards to make sure that they did not get into a lung in which is just precautionary.
    They will keep you in recovery for approx 2 hours then its all over.
    I never was the least bit sore and have never had any problem with it.
    Plus they will give ya a little feel good before it all starts.
    There is absolutely nothing to worry about and the hardest thing that you will do is let them put the IV in for the feel good and the anesthesia.
    Relax and enjoy the ride...............
  • johnnybegood
    johnnybegood Member Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Buzzard said:

Port Surgery.......

Try to be the first in the morning so that you can eat something quicker the day of surgery.
    It gives your kids (if you have any) a button to turn you on and off with like a robot.
    They normally give you a chest exray afterwards to make sure that they did not get into a lung in which is just precautionary.
    There is absolutely nothing to worry about and the hardest thing that you will do is let them put the IV in for the feel good and the anesthesia.

thanks
    thanks to all.your support is really uplifting.tommy we will probably be right together on our treatments. thats why i love this site it makes you feel not so alone.on the lighter side i went to walmart today and saw 2 men with their carts full of toilet paper at the checkout i wanted to go up to them and say save some of that for us semi-colons.take care and God bless.......johnnnybegood
  • pamysue
    pamysue Member Posts: 105
    Options

thanks
    thanks to all.your support is really uplifting.tommy we will probably be right together on our treatments. thats why i love this site it makes you feel not so alone.on the lighter side i went to walmart today and saw 2 men with their carts full of toilet paper at the checkout i wanted to go up to them and say save some of that for us semi-colons.take care and God bless.......johnnnybegood

I didn't even
    have to have a general for the port, got the wonderful verset (sp?) demerol drip. Don't remember a thing and it was not even sore afterwards. When he took it out, he cut in the exact same place and now it's still sore. That and I still don't heal well. But going in was the easy part. Good luck to you, hon.
  • CherylHutch
    CherylHutch Member Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Buzzard said:

Port Surgery.......

Button?
    Hey Buzz,

You have me curious... what button do you mean when you said "it gives your kids a button to turn you on and off with like a robot"?

When I had mine put in, it was put in just below the collarbone, and then I was sewn up (about a 4-5" wound) with staples. They let me heal for a good month before it was actually used for chemo... although I think after about 10 days I went to my GP and he took out the staples. But there was no button or anything... just a small scar from where the surgical cut was to put the device in.

Yes, I was given an IV for the feel good drugs... but alas, they do nothing for me. I didn't get to "feel good" nor did I get sleepy, nor did I go off into la=la=land... but that's just me. Hahaha... they pretty much have to give me a general anesthetic to make me go to sleep :)

But Johnnybegood... even if you are like me and the drugs don't put you in la-la-land... don't worry. The procedure is still not a biggie. If anything, it's kind of boring because you have to lie there and there's this tent like thing in front of you so you can't see what the surgeon is doing... but you haven't eaten since the night before and you realize you are hungry . But you can't have anything to eat until the surgeon is finished the procedure ;)

After it was all over, they keep you in recovery until they feel you are awake and alert enough to go home... although you have to have someone there to take you home (you can't go on your own). My friend came to pick me up, but I had driven myself to the hospital so we had to walk to the car since she didn't know where I parked. Hahaha... I, of course, wasn't thinking and when I drove to the hospital in the morning, I ended up parking 4 blocks away!! Hahahaha!! But, it was a gorgeous day and the walk was lovely (this was before the goofy leg problem I have now). But seriously, I could walk the 4 blocks with no problems and I could have driven home but since my friend had come to drive me home, I let her drive :) I think we went out for lunch before going home :)

Hugggggs,

Cheryl
  • glinka65
    glinka65 Member Posts: 132
    Options

thanks

thanks
    i start march 9th, let me know when you start we can kick this thing in the ****......no pun intended..... together!!!!