expanders

Options
tommaseena
tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had expanders put in when I had my double mastectomy and I find that one breast is not shaped like the other one. Is this normal. I was told that it could be because the pec muscle on one side is developed more and that is why it looks different. I had my first fill at the time of surgery of 120cc and then in the doctors office 2 wks after surgery of 90 cc in each. My left breast tissue expander looks nice and round and that is the breast that had the cancer but my right breast tissue expander does not seem to be shaped like my left one.

Is this normal? My plastic surgeon told me that she may have to put a smaller one in the left side to match the right side. Has anyone heard of stopping the saline injections on one side so the other side matches?

Margo

Comments

• gemsa
    gemsa Member Posts: 22
    Options
    Normal!
    Hi Margo,
    Sounds normal to me, especially because of the surgery and radiation you may have had on one side as opposed to the other. Many of us have different sized implants in an effort to make them match.

Good luck!
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I think
    I think it sounds normal. I do not know how long ago the surgery was, but swelling from the surgery could affect the shape, if they took out more tissue on the side with cancer it would affect it. Muscles may be stronger or weaker on different sides....It is quite common to fill each side differently with the expanders. That is actually one of the advantages of having expanders because it is relatively easy to make up the difference in the 2 sides as you go. I had a bilateral mastectomy and have expanders in until I have reconstruction this summer. Mine were filled the same amount, but I had a second surgery to have some extra tissue removed on one side to look more symmetrical. Talk to your Drs. to be sure, but I think your experience is common.

Take care, seof.
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    seof said:

I think
    I think it sounds normal. I do not know how long ago the surgery was, but swelling from the surgery could affect the shape, if they took out more tissue on the side with cancer it would affect it. Muscles may be stronger or weaker on different sides....It is quite common to fill each side differently with the expanders. That is actually one of the advantages of having expanders because it is relatively easy to make up the difference in the 2 sides as you go. I had a bilateral mastectomy and have expanders in until I have reconstruction this summer. Mine were filled the same amount, but I had a second surgery to have some extra tissue removed on one side to look more symmetrical. Talk to your Drs. to be sure, but I think your experience is common.

Take care, seof.

normal--thank you both
    I'm glad this sounds normal. I had double mastectomy with tissue expanders on 2/2/09.
    I have not nor will have radiation. I will be having chemo treatments starting 3/10. I will ask the plastic surgeon when I see him on 3/3 for my next fill.

Thank you both for your response.

Margo
  • NYGMom
    NYGMom Member Posts: 34
    Options
    I Have Same Problem
    I have the same problem. Double mas, right breast cancer, left breast precautionary mas. My right side is perfect but my left is lower and a crooked. My Plastic Surgeon is not concerned. He has assured me that this is just the expansion of skin and not to worry. He has promised the end project with implants will be high, even and beautiful. So no worries!