golf

Options
tommaseena
tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Lili,
You had said in a previous post that you haven't played golf since June 2007. I am curious is is because of the treatment or you didn't feel like getting out there.

I want to be able to commit to not only my treatments but also my extra curricular activities like golf and doing things with my 5 1/2 year old son.

If anyone else has any input please input--I would love to hear everything.

My echo that I had yesterday went fabulous.

Margo

Comments

• mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Options
    great!
    Happy about your echo. That is good news. I have no info. on golfing, but I applaud your desire to continue living your life and getting outside. Exercise is key.

Mimi
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    Hi Margo: I didn't get out
    Hi Margo:

I didn't get out there because between treatments and then reconstruction issues I couldn't get out and swing. My shoulder froze so I had to go for therapy, and my reconstruction seems like it took forever. I had the tram flap reconstruction so recuperation was longer than expanders and implants. I just finished the nipple in December and may need one more surgery to complete it all. I go back to the plastic surgeon on Monday and we'll decide. In the middle of all this going on I developed a thyroid problem which the doctor seems to think was from the diagnosis and chemo. So, it has been a long haul for me, seems like Murphy's Law was my shadow for a while there. LOL.

In the meantime, I joined the gym in November on the advice of the physical therapist and have started cardio and weight lifting to strengthen arms and upper body. I will try out the clubs as soon as the weather gets warmer. I will probably have to take a lesson or two since my swing has to change. I had a right mastectomy and am right handed but I am really excited about getting out there. This year I am determined to take control of my life again and not let cancer dictate to me. Make sure you exercise the arm and walk the wall with your finger tips. Go as high as you can to keep your shoulder flexible.

Keep me posted on how you make out. Hugs, Lili
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    Options

Hi Margo: I didn't get out
    Hi Margo:

I didn't get out there because between treatments and then reconstruction issues I couldn't get out and swing. My shoulder froze so I had to go for therapy, and my reconstruction seems like it took forever. I had the tram flap reconstruction so recuperation was longer than expanders and implants. I just finished the nipple in December and may need one more surgery to complete it all. I go back to the plastic surgeon on Monday and we'll decide. In the middle of all this going on I developed a thyroid problem which the doctor seems to think was from the diagnosis and chemo. So, it has been a long haul for me, seems like Murphy's Law was my shadow for a while there. LOL.

In the meantime, I joined the gym in November on the advice of the physical therapist and have started cardio and weight lifting to strengthen arms and upper body. I will try out the clubs as soon as the weather gets warmer. I will probably have to take a lesson or two since my swing has to change. I had a right mastectomy and am right handed but I am really excited about getting out there. This year I am determined to take control of my life again and not let cancer dictate to me. Make sure you exercise the arm and walk the wall with your finger tips. Go as high as you can to keep your shoulder flexible.

Keep me posted on how you make out. Hugs, Lili

Hi Lili
    I don't know if it is only because they took just two lymph nodes on one side or not but I was able to raise my arms above my head right after surgery and I continue to do my arm raising.

Having the port put in on Monday scares me more than the surgery I just had--I don't want to feel anything that they are doing. Chemo will start on 3/10.

I don't know when I'll be able to swing a golf club with all this snow here in Maine.

Hugs back at you.
    Margo
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options

Hi Lili
    I don't know if it is only because they took just two lymph nodes on one side or not but I was able to raise my arms above my head right after surgery and I continue to do my arm raising.

Having the port put in on Monday scares me more than the surgery I just had--I don't want to feel anything that they are doing. Chemo will start on 3/10.

I don't know when I'll be able to swing a golf club with all this snow here in Maine.

Hugs back at you.
    Margo

Margo: The frozen shoulder
    Margo: The frozen shoulder was my fault. I babied the arm so much that I wasn't walking the wall. I had 7 nodes removed but it really shouldn't be an excuse. I am now much more flexible and can raise my arm way over my head. I live in NJ and we've had very cold weather also. I am looking forward to the warm weather. My son & daughter already went out to the driving range but it was way too cold and windy for me. He's on the golf team in school so they start practice next Monday already.

I had a port Margo and as scary and nervous as we get because it is one more procedure to endure, it does make it much easier when going for chemo. At least you won't need to get an IV every time you go. You will be sore for about 1 week but then it will be OK. They will then use the port for both chemo and blood draws. Let me know what meds you will get. Hugs, Lili