bag back on

Options
tiny one
tiny one Member Posts: 465 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Has anyone here made the decision to have an ileostomy or colostomy bag put back on? If you did what lead you to this decision?

Comments

• pamysue
    pamysue Member Posts: 105
    Options
    I did not and hope not to every have to but...
    I spent a lot of time on this board

http://www.healingwell.com/community/default.aspx?f=33

when I had my illeostomy. They were a HUGE help and knew way more than my in-home nurse did. She now give this site to her ostomy patients. Many people there have opted to have a bag to make their life easier for a variety of reasons. I hope this site will be helpful to you.
  • Moesimo
    Moesimo Member Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I made the tough decision
    I had a colostomy done about 18 mos. after my reversal. My quality of life was horrible. I was in so much pain from the constant trips to the bathroom. My bottom was always sore and it felt like razor blades. I was afraid to go out because I was incontinent sometimes. I would be at work and have to run to the bathroom and didn't always make it. I wore a pad but that didn't always help.

It was one of the toughest decisions I have ever had to make.

I do not regret my decision. I haven't looked back. I went on my first cruise when I was 7 weeks post op. We are going on our 3rd cruise this summer which is a cruise to Alaska.

On 3/17 it will be 6 years since my diagnosis. I had stage 3 rectal cancer and have remained NED since my first surgery.

Please feel free to email me with any specific questions.

Maureen
  • PamPam2
    PamPam2 Member Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Bag
    Hi. I hope I never have to have the bag again, as my colostomy prolapsed and gave me lots of trouble. I had terrible elimination problems for a couple years, pain,bleeding, very bad hemmorhoids, constipation/diarheah, then I met a gentleman who runs a natural nutrition store, by the way his wife died from cancer, he sold me milled flax seed, you can cook with it, put it on cereal,salads, soup, yogart. I just put it in water and kind of drink/chew it, it has a pleasant nutty flavor, It has been a miracle for my bowels and it is natural, kosher, and fortified. The brand is Omega-Life, Inc. 1 800 328 3529 PO Box 7 Muskego WI 53150-0007 It also helps me with hot flashes and night sweats. High levels of naturally occuring antioxidants Omega-3 Omega_6, fortified with B-6, C and E. Phyto-nutrients. www.fortifiedflax.com is the e-mail on the bag I have. It is worth a try if you are having problems, a tablespoon a day is all I need.
    Pam
  • tiny one
    tiny one Member Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Moesimo said:

I made the tough decision
    I had a colostomy done about 18 mos. after my reversal. My quality of life was horrible. I was in so much pain from the constant trips to the bathroom. My bottom was always sore and it felt like razor blades. I was afraid to go out because I was incontinent sometimes. I would be at work and have to run to the bathroom and didn't always make it. I wore a pad but that didn't always help.

It was one of the toughest decisions I have ever had to make.

I do not regret my decision. I haven't looked back. I went on my first cruise when I was 7 weeks post op. We are going on our 3rd cruise this summer which is a cruise to Alaska.

On 3/17 it will be 6 years since my diagnosis. I had stage 3 rectal cancer and have remained NED since my first surgery.

Please feel free to email me with any specific questions.

Maureen

not a piece of cake
    I didn't know how hard it would be when they reversed my ileostomy. It's been 14 months. I had very little trouble with my ileostomy. I managed it very easily but absolutely hated it being on me. I also never experienced diarrhea from chemo because of it. My surgeon advised me to wait to reverse after chemo was done. Thank God I did. Things are alot better now if I take lomotil. I still get sore very quickly, this is from the radiation. If I eat larger meals and some foods will keep me in the bathroom. I can travel but I worried alot that I would have accidents. The days when I have alot of pain are getting alot less. Did you have radiation and did you know before they reversed your ostomy how tough it would be?