survivors of Terminal Stage 4 lung cancer

Comments

• PreciousFox15
    PreciousFox15 Member Posts: 3

There are miracles
    My mom was diagnosed in 2006 with stage IV lung cancer that spread to her brain. No breathing problems, no lung problems at all, just small specks in the lungs.. One brain tumor. She's had a surgery to remove the tumor in her brain. Chemo, and radtiation on brain and lungs.
    I will tell you that she is doing awesome concidering all shes been going through. Although the tumors are back in the brain as of 2009, with the radiation they treated her with on her brain and the fact that shes been doing Creative VISUALIZATION the tumors finally shrunk in her brain AGAIN!
    Lung cancer is sneaky so keeping on top of it is key. PET scans are key.
    Focus on the positive and get rid of worries. Sometimes stepping outside of the box and using inner strength can work miracles. Not saying my moms a miracle, but the attitude is what will keep anyone going in the proper direction.

Small Cell Lung Cancer (SCLC) NOT Non Small Cell Lung Cancer
    I'm a bit lost here. My husband (45) was diagnosed on Aug.27,2009 with Small Cell Lung Cancer stage IV(SCLC)......NOT Non Small Lung Cancer(NSCLC).

I read here of people that have small cell lung cancer, but when you read there post they are talking about NSCLC.

I need to know if there is anyone out there that is a survivor of Small Cell Lung Cancer stage IV and if so how long since you were diagnosed, and what is the treatment you are getting and why.

He had fluid removed from the lining around his right lung (the tumor is in the right lung)and was told that they are almost sure there is cancer cells in it(sometimes cancer cells are so small they can't see them). They have also said there is a spot on his liver that is cancer.

He has had one cycle of chemo, Carboplatin and Etoposide. He said that he could breath better and his cough got better just after the first day of chemo.

He goes again for chemo on the 16th,17th and 18th of this month. He has been feeling fine, You would never know he has cancer. I'm the one that is a wreak.

I have been reading and reading and reading everything I can find on the internet about this. But so far I can't find anyone that has had SCLC :-(

I'm not going to give up or let him give up. I don't care what the doctors say about how long he might have. I just keep doing my research.

I know this is an agressive cancer and that is why time is of the essence. We meet with the doctor tomorrow and I am going to tell her I want a scan done before his next round of chemo.

I don't want to find out later that something else could have been done or his chemo changed because of what they find after the second cycle.

He has taken all his records,lab slides and scans to the Northwestern University of Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center, where they have an oncologist that specializes in the lungs.

I'm going to call the number they have here for help with finding clinical trials, after I find out more from the doctor tomorrow or after his next chemo.

If anyone can suggest anything else that I should be doing or know of a doctor or trial we can try, let me know, or if you think that a PET scan and or radiation of the brain should be done now.

God bless everyone on this site, you and my husband are all in my prayers.

Sherry :-)
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    derrald said:

stage IV nsclc
    the stats are killing me! 3 weeks ago wife went to doc for rib pain and persistent cough. the cough started in nov. of 08, she strongly suggested a chest x ray. after the x ray they called for a ct (stat) after which they said "we are so sorry, you have cancer" and then basically gave here a good luck, god bless attitude. sent to pulmonoligist who said "I don't give survival odd's" and after his tests told us it was nsclc IV. non operitive. go see this doc. so I started researching and everythin said has said "no cure" survival rate "5 to 10 percent" I am flipping out. can anyone give me facts? I can battle anything if I have them.

thanking you in advance

Derrald

Major Cancer Center?
    Hi Derrald,

I don't know where you live, but I would keep looking for docs who can use creative or perhaps get her into a study. I'm in a support group and one of our members was in a similar situation and was put into a study and his cancer is in remission. Even the docs were surprised. He's doing great! There is another Stage IV women in our group who had a biopsy done to find the right chemo to hold her cancer back as much as possible. Time may be what you are buying but where there is life there is hope. They keep coming up with new drugs and treatments so keep in the game. One of our members who had prostrate cancer 4 years ago went to Yale, Sloan, and ended us with a new treatment in Atlanta.

Good bless you both during this difficult time.

Roseann
  • maricusa420
    maricusa420 Member Posts: 2
    Nic3241 said:

Tarceva and my dad
    my Dad has just started this drug after receiving chemo (he has stage IV NSCLC) he couldn't finish the chemo so they decided to put him on Tarceva....i'm wondering also if anyone has any comments (good or bad) about being on it.He was Rx in JAn/09

tarceva
    my husband has supposedly been in stage 4 since dec.07..he was doing chemo and radiation and i think even though he was getting sooo nauseas and loss of appetite, he should have continued with chemo via i.v six months of tarceva and it just didnt do nothing. but everybody is different. the only side effect he got from the tarceva was a bad rash.my husband is a fighter and we will not give up.god bless you.if in 2-3 months , you see its not working...move on to the next treatment option, dont wait, like some doctors do.!!!
  • maricusa420
    maricusa420 Member Posts: 2
    seanslove said:

watching the pain
    Nubis,

Our story is about the same. My husband went from perfect health to down with what seemed like the flu. That was the 1st of April. Due to not having insurance or extra pennies for doctors,he tried to fight what he thought was a really bad cold. On May 18th he could fight no more,could not breath,and finally gave in to trying the emergancy room. Of course they took him. Within a few hours he had a tube in his left pluerl sack to drain the fluid which was causing him not to be able to breath. For the next 12 days he stayed there and they did what they said they never do:sent him home with his chest tube. On May 21st they told us he may have cancer,on May 26th they told us it was mesatitic adrenocarsinmoa,stage four.
    From there we have walked a path filled with PET Scans,MRI's,Ultra-sounds,enough blood work to drain a cow,EDG and Colonoscopy,which the colonoscopy had to be stoped because of the omental mestasis at the thrid sigmoid of the colon. From there,two weeks ago this Thuresday he had his medi-port,much to our displeasure placed,as we would have rather went for the IV's instead,however,the doctors refused our request.
    Now we sit and wait for answers to the day when chemo will start and if it will really do anything at this point. He has lost over 40 pounds since April,is in non-stop pain. The doctors answers:take this take that,however,they do not offer a schedule which works. This brings us to today;his birthday. Today I have done more research and we are going through trail and error phase of managing pain,pain meds,all in a hope for relief and his desire to eat to return. Has anyone else faced anything like us?

appetite
    my husband had no appetite at all, he was losing sooo much weight, then they gave him the strongest dose of megace, this is an appetite stimulant...it reallly works...he has his complete appetite back. he was down to 112. and now he is up to 120.thank god. i hope you know about this, if not ask your oncologist to prescribe it. god bless..also ask for a pain management doctor. cuz nobody should have to suffer like that. my husbands doctor was having my husband go thruogh the same darn pain and recentely when he was in the hospital a social worker recommended a palliative care doctor(pain management) and they switched his meds and added some...some are extended release and others are for breakthruogh pain(for when pain comes on strongly and all of a sudden) thats when you need to take something that will relieve the pain at that moment. i hope my info helps, because i really feel for people that are going thruogh that kind of pain, when it isnt necessary.
  • stayingcalm
    stayingcalm Member Posts: 650 Member

tarceva
    my husband has supposedly been in stage 4 since dec.07..he was doing chemo and radiation and i think even though he was getting sooo nauseas and loss of appetite, he should have continued with chemo via i.v six months of tarceva and it just didnt do nothing. but everybody is different. the only side effect he got from the tarceva was a bad rash.my husband is a fighter and we will not give up.god bless you.if in 2-3 months , you see its not working...move on to the next treatment option, dont wait, like some doctors do.!!!

Thank you maricusa
    Luckily, my doctor, like most, doesn't belong in that category; he's always looking out for the next treatment for me, and we keep an eye on the scans to see what works and what doesn't :) I think of Tarceva as a holding drug - it may not kill the cancer, but it keeps it from growing (well, I hope so anyway). In the meantime, who knows what new thing will come down the pipe!
  • freddyfox
    freddyfox Member Posts: 10

Small Cell Lung Cancer (SCLC) NOT Non Small Cell Lung Cancer
    I'm a bit lost here. My husband (45) was diagnosed on Aug.27,2009 with Small Cell Lung Cancer stage IV(SCLC)......NOT Non Small Lung Cancer(NSCLC).

I read here of people that have small cell lung cancer, but when you read there post they are talking about NSCLC.

I need to know if there is anyone out there that is a survivor of Small Cell Lung Cancer stage IV and if so how long since you were diagnosed, and what is the treatment you are getting and why.

He had fluid removed from the lining around his right lung (the tumor is in the right lung)and was told that they are almost sure there is cancer cells in it(sometimes cancer cells are so small they can't see them). They have also said there is a spot on his liver that is cancer.

He has had one cycle of chemo, Carboplatin and Etoposide. He said that he could breath better and his cough got better just after the first day of chemo.

He goes again for chemo on the 16th,17th and 18th of this month. He has been feeling fine, You would never know he has cancer. I'm the one that is a wreak.

I have been reading and reading and reading everything I can find on the internet about this. But so far I can't find anyone that has had SCLC :-(

I'm not going to give up or let him give up. I don't care what the doctors say about how long he might have. I just keep doing my research.

I know this is an agressive cancer and that is why time is of the essence. We meet with the doctor tomorrow and I am going to tell her I want a scan done before his next round of chemo.

I don't want to find out later that something else could have been done or his chemo changed because of what they find after the second cycle.

He has taken all his records,lab slides and scans to the Northwestern University of Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center, where they have an oncologist that specializes in the lungs.

I'm going to call the number they have here for help with finding clinical trials, after I find out more from the doctor tomorrow or after his next chemo.

If anyone can suggest anything else that I should be doing or know of a doctor or trial we can try, let me know, or if you think that a PET scan and or radiation of the brain should be done now.

God bless everyone on this site, you and my husband are all in my prayers.

Sherry :-)

WE ARE ALL TERMINAL. MY
    WE ARE ALL TERMINAL. MY MOMMY MADE HER TRANSITION JULY 10 from lung cancer. I am 22. I have seen my brother murdered and the only good thing left in this world left me. SHE IS STILL HERE THOUGH!!!!! GOD BLESS EVERYONE....CANCER IS HARD LIFE ISNT. WE ARE BORN 2 DIE. MY ONLY WISH?PRAYER is that when i leave this hellhole i will see my mommy again. APPRECIATION IS THE KEY. LIVE ONE DAY AT A TIME. MOMENT TO MOMENT. WE WERE ALREADY BLESSED.
  • indydorsey13
    indydorsey13 Member Posts: 38
    andiques said:

Stage IV NSCLC already in remission!
    We're ALL terminal in the end! Don't let the statistics scare you (even though I did!)... I was dx Stage IV NSCLC adenocarcinoma (inoperable) in Jan 2009. Underwent three rounds of chemo ( Carboplatin/Taxol /Avastin ) and then had a CT scan for assessment last week. I'm in remission already and I have to say that the chemo wasn't bad either -- so MUCH better than in the past. SO ... call it a miracle or call in modern-day progress, but whatever it is, I'm happy as a clam! I attribute it to not only my treatment, but also to BIG support in the form of prayers from lots of folks. STAY POSITIVE by all means because. no matter what, we all need to enjoy whatever days we DO have on this earth. We could be hit by a Mack truck tomorrow! BTW, I also highly recommend The Lung Cancer Alliance for great support and discussion. They are under the umbrella of the "Inspire" network. Check them out! Best of luck!

Stage IV NSCLC already in remission
    andiques Thanks for that GREAT encouragement...My husband has just been diagnosed with stage IV NSCLC..We are waiting for our meeting with oncologist to discuss the facts about his cancer and treatment....It's also in some lymph nodes but no major organs (?) Was your's in you lymph nodes to ? His tumor is 56mm x 46mm. I actually hand wrote ALL of your story of encouragement for him to read... The Dr. said his prognosis was poor, and this kind of cancer is difficult to treat !!!! I't most difficult to deal with...
  • RunnerCPA
    RunnerCPA Member Posts: 8

survivors
    Stardust, there are indeed survivors of Stage IV lung cancer, some of them on this very site. I am not sure, however, that any of them were told that their particular 'version' was 'terminal'.

The only exception to that that I know of is me, and my story is sort of strange, as I really didn't have stage IV; they just thought I did due to the spread.

Still, I have at least a couple of friends on this site who are stage IV survivors, one with both small and non-small cell, and the other with small cell, if I am not mistaken.

One recently received a proclamation of NED (No Evidence of Disease) and the other is in at least his third year of college (you CAN teach an old dog new tricks, it seems :) ).

But I would not want to falsely raise your hopes.

If docs are providing treatment (radiation) then they at least have hope of extending life, quality life, for the person we are talking about it here. I would advise that since that time cannot be precisely measured even in the worst case scenario, that it be lived as if every day were the last, spent enjoying life, friends, family, spent loving and laughing.

Life IS precious.

I know this does not help much, but please know that we are getting closer and closer to actually finding ways to reverse cancers; it is just a matter of hanging in there, in my opinion.

Incidentally, and I do not say this flippantly, birth is a terminal disease.

Take care,

Joe

Joe...thank you for the encouraging words...
    My dad was just diagnosed with Cancer Unknown Source - Adneocarsinoma. It has metastisized. It is in his lungs, mediastinum and right femur. Someone asked me if his cancer is terminal? I said, "Aren't we all terminal?" I don't like that word really and choose not to refer to my dad's cancer as that...he just was diagnosed and started three types of chemo this week. They can't operate so I am praying the chemo slows this type of cancer down...I hope you have a very nice day.
  • nrn33
    nrn33 Member Posts: 2

stage IV lung cancer survivor
    Stardust: Iam a survivor of stage IV lung cancer. I was diagnosed in Dec 2003 and had both chemo and radiation for 6 months.with my last month of radiation twice a day. I was also told there wasn't much hope as mine is a pancoast tumor that sits on the outside of my right lung and was inoperable. The tumor was so large that it was pushing my esophogus to the side in the front and growing into my spine in the back. My Doctors saved my life, treatment was very aggressive and painful at times, but you get through it and wait for the next treatment. Ihave started my 6th year of remmission on june 30, unheard of with this type of cancer.I plan on making the medical books, so remember theres no place like HOPE. Don't give up and don't believe it when they say terminal, I here and I'm supposed to be terminal. Hsope I helped alittle, will be checking on you. Diana

Finally....someone with my cancer
    Hi,

I was diagnosed in Feb.2009 with stage 3b Pancaost tumors with Horners Syndrome. Surgery wasn't an option. Been doing chemo(carboplatin & taxol)for the last couple of months,no bad side effects.Mine is also on the right side and has invaded the lymph nodes of arm , neck and heart. So what has life been like for you ? are you still doing treatments ?
    I would love to talk with you more and compare treatments and what goes through our brains with this crazy disease.
    Thanks for the posts of HOPE !!!!!
  • nancy shaw
    nancy shaw Member Posts: 1
    LUNG CANCER STAGE FOUR
    i was told in june my lung cancer was at stage four, it is small cell, i had 12 doses of chemo i got back this month for more test...there is some days i need to talk my husband has just retired ,but i dont bother him...
  • msdixie56
    msdixie56 Member Posts: 3
    seanslove said:

watching the pain
    Nubis,

Our story is about the same. My husband went from perfect health to down with what seemed like the flu. That was the 1st of April. Due to not having insurance or extra pennies for doctors,he tried to fight what he thought was a really bad cold. On May 18th he could fight no more,could not breath,and finally gave in to trying the emergancy room. Of course they took him. Within a few hours he had a tube in his left pluerl sack to drain the fluid which was causing him not to be able to breath. For the next 12 days he stayed there and they did what they said they never do:sent him home with his chest tube. On May 21st they told us he may have cancer,on May 26th they told us it was mesatitic adrenocarsinmoa,stage four.
    From there we have walked a path filled with PET Scans,MRI's,Ultra-sounds,enough blood work to drain a cow,EDG and Colonoscopy,which the colonoscopy had to be stoped because of the omental mestasis at the thrid sigmoid of the colon. From there,two weeks ago this Thuresday he had his medi-port,much to our displeasure placed,as we would have rather went for the IV's instead,however,the doctors refused our request.
    Now we sit and wait for answers to the day when chemo will start and if it will really do anything at this point. He has lost over 40 pounds since April,is in non-stop pain. The doctors answers:take this take that,however,they do not offer a schedule which works. This brings us to today;his birthday. Today I have done more research and we are going through trail and error phase of managing pain,pain meds,all in a hope for relief and his desire to eat to return. Has anyone else faced anything like us?

watching the pain
    Dear Seanslove,
    I'm so sorry that you are having to watch your husband go thru this horrible ordeal. I can completly understand because my daughter was diagnosed in Aug. of '09 with stage 3b lung cancer. The doctors told her at that time she had probably had it for about 8 months which it means that while she was pregnant she had gotten this cancer. She was first mis diagnosed with pnuemonia until her 3rd visit back to the dr. when he sent her to a plumanary dr. She had 2 thorasentesis & then the news of cancer. From there she was put in the hospital to get a chest tube cause she could'nt breath cause of all the fluid she had. While in the hospital she had a lung biopsy & a few days later she had a talc prodedure done which was suppose to inflate in lung & stop the fluid from building. Well her lung inflated but she still has the fluid. Now she had a plurex catherer put in which she will always keep unless the fluid stops building on its own & we have to drain her lung every night. The dr. put her on Tarceva. She started having back pain and now has a large mass on her tailbone which she had radation for. We had to rush her back to the hospital 3 weeks ago because of severe diarreah & a stabbing pain in her bell. Well she now has a few "spots" on her liver & brain. She spent 2 1/2 weeks in the hospital cause she lost so much weight & was very week. While in the hospital she had a seizure & thats when they discovered the brain cancer. She is having radation on her brain & after she is a strong enough she will start chemo. Before she got sick again she had been excepted to Memorial Sloan Kettering in New York but that has to be put off till she is strong enough to travel. We are hoping to go soon as we feel NY might have the magic bullet.All I can tell you is keep the faith & question everything & make suggestions.If your dr. gets pissed find a new one.I kept pushing on Jennifer's dr. to put her on TPN, which is a feeding full of calories & vitamins & nutrients to help put the weight on, well he finally put her on this and she gained everything she lost plus.I also pushed them into putting a pick line in. Jennifer's veins were virtually non-exsisent so this makes it better for IV's & blood draws, she would have needed one for the chemo anyway. Her pain is being controlled with heavy doses of morphine. She is on a 12hr pill of 60mg plus she has a 30mg morphine which she takes for her break thru pain. This seems to be working well for now. I know the anguish you are going thru & also your husband. Having to stand by & watch & being helpless is very difficult. I'll include you & your huband in my prayers.Just remember you almost have to be your own health advocate. Don't be shy about asking your doctor anything or keep pushing them on his pain meds. He should'nt have to be in pain. We also had to push for the thing we thought our daughter needed. Jennifer has 2 young girls ages 5 months & 3 years. We have now moved in with her & Her husband to help take care of the house & kids. Ask for help. You'll find they are more than willing to help. GOOD LUCK!
    Keeping you in our Prayers
    Sharon
  • mcbriz
    mcbriz Member Posts: 14

LUNG CANCER STAGE FOUR
    i was told in june my lung cancer was at stage four, it is small cell, i had 12 doses of chemo i got back this month for more test...there is some days i need to talk my husband has just retired ,but i dont bother him...

Nancy - Talk is good
    Please find someone you can share your struggles with. You'd be amazed at how your friends and family are willing to listen. Your husband probably would be too if you let him know how much you need the support. As family/caregivers we all want to do something, and if being a sounding board is what the patient needs, then I guarantee you we're happy to be there. Sometimes a listening ear is all we can do...

From another Nancy
  • pbr
    pbr Member Posts: 1
    Confused
    My husband has stage 4 lung cancer. The first three treatments of chemo have given mixed results. They are going to do a second phase treatment next time.
    They said that he is not a candidate for radiation of the lungs. (He had a brain tumor the took out and used radiation for that). He has two tumors on each side of his lungs and in his lymph nodes.
    He had a cold and got bronchitis and is now on breathing treatments.
    What can I expect?
    Do other places have different treatments?
    We went to MGH and the prognosis was grim.
    I don't even know what to ask.
    Help.
  • Skybuf
    Skybuf Member Posts: 143

survivors
    Stardust, there are indeed survivors of Stage IV lung cancer, some of them on this very site. I am not sure, however, that any of them were told that their particular 'version' was 'terminal'.

The only exception to that that I know of is me, and my story is sort of strange, as I really didn't have stage IV; they just thought I did due to the spread.

Still, I have at least a couple of friends on this site who are stage IV survivors, one with both small and non-small cell, and the other with small cell, if I am not mistaken.

One recently received a proclamation of NED (No Evidence of Disease) and the other is in at least his third year of college (you CAN teach an old dog new tricks, it seems :) ).

But I would not want to falsely raise your hopes.

If docs are providing treatment (radiation) then they at least have hope of extending life, quality life, for the person we are talking about it here. I would advise that since that time cannot be precisely measured even in the worst case scenario, that it be lived as if every day were the last, spent enjoying life, friends, family, spent loving and laughing.

Life IS precious.

I know this does not help much, but please know that we are getting closer and closer to actually finding ways to reverse cancers; it is just a matter of hanging in there, in my opinion.

Incidentally, and I do not say this flippantly, birth is a terminal disease.

Take care,

Joe

me too
    Hi Soccerfreak, remember me Skybug.....was on the breast cancer chat and well.....now here I am again, lung ca.....just diagnosed as secondary....on meds and having to do chemo rada again.....like a rollercoaster eh!
  • DONCARLOS
    DONCARLOS Member Posts: 66
    SURVIVORS
    Someone said "WE ARE ALL SURVIVORS" I am convinced of that. However, I cannot get my head straight and had to go from Xanax to Prozac (taking both) and am doing a little better. I had my surgery back in June 30, 2009 and I have not idea what level I was but except for my stupid head I am feeling well and breathing OK. I have lost interest in everything but I must do something about that. However, take every day as a new day and yu will go on as long as God wants you to.

God Bless you

Don Carlos
  • Laura88
    Laura88 Member Posts: 47
    pbr said:

Confused
    My husband has stage 4 lung cancer. The first three treatments of chemo have given mixed results. They are going to do a second phase treatment next time.
    They said that he is not a candidate for radiation of the lungs. (He had a brain tumor the took out and used radiation for that). He has two tumors on each side of his lungs and in his lymph nodes.
    He had a cold and got bronchitis and is now on breathing treatments.
    What can I expect?
    Do other places have different treatments?
    We went to MGH and the prognosis was grim.
    I don't even know what to ask.
    Help.

To Confused
    Dear Confused -- I am sorry you are having such a hard time. I am surprised that MGH did not give you a whole list of options. I believe they are known especially for their drug trials. Have you asked about a trial for your husband? There are amazing things I have seen done at MGH (I get my treatment there, also). There are so many different chemo drugs and drug trials that your head will spin if you do not have an oncologist you feel comfortable asking questions of. Please ask about trials or different chemo treatments. Please, please do not give up. There are many things out there. Best wishes to you -- let us know how your husband is doing. Laura
  • phampleman
    phampleman Member Posts: 16
    my mom
    hi,i would like to share with you my story..my mother was told in april this year she had stage 4 primary lung cancer.she never smoked ever never even took a drink so of course i didn't belive this her dr had said that it had spread to her abd. and pelvic and she was very sick he asked if i would like to bring her home for easter of course i said yes. he looked me in my eyes and said just know this isn't going to change anything.then after easter she will start chemo as a comfort measure,not understanding what he was saying i said ok..i am very scared at this point and totally confused.i have been in the medical field for a very long time and have takin care of alot of sick people but always understood the medical terms for everyone one i took care of, well i still am confused with all this cancer talk,after 3 months of chemo we seen a big improvement with my mom her dr. ordered a ct scan at this point when my mom came out from taking the test she looked at me as we where walking out the door and said they are not going to find anything all i could say is i hope and pray you are right, i come from a family that belives and always have faith and hope .i never could belive she had cancer but it was time to get the results i asked if the dr. could call my baby brother in tenn.and give him the results i was so wore down and scared even though i have faith sometimes it does get weak, her dr wanted to see us ...my mom looked at him with a smile and said you didn't find anything did you?he said no sign or even a trace of the cancer my mom had told him she knew there wasn't any cancer he asked her how she knew ..as she was getting the scan done she was praying and i had been praying but a black ball had left her body and went away from her,he looked at her and just gave her a big hug.she has had a pet scan and another ct scan still no sign of the devil that tried to take my mom.....have alot of faith and you will find a spirtal part of life that is beautiful and kind people .god bless you and never give up our god is more powerful than kind of demon that ..god bless and i hope my mom's story helps you .........patty
  • phampleman
    phampleman Member Posts: 16
    Fran83 said:

avastin
    hi joe,

thanks for your reply.

my mom's doctor has prescribed her cisplatin or carboplatin (depending on her choice) with paxitol as a 1st line treatment and she only added avastin or another targeted drug for her 2nd line treatment.

I am a bit worried about this.... perhaps my mom should get a 2nd opinion but she seems to trust her oncologist...

I am glad that people like you (who has survived this) exist to give us all hope.

regards,
    Fran

avastin
    my mom was on this avastin as well she had stage 4 lung cancer i think this was a big help for us she no longer has signs of cancer thank god for our grteat dr. and our god......god bless,patty
  • Hauslohn
    Hauslohn Member Posts: 2

appetite
    my husband had no appetite at all, he was losing sooo much weight, then they gave him the strongest dose of megace, this is an appetite stimulant...it reallly works...he has his complete appetite back. he was down to 112. and now he is up to 120.thank god. i hope you know about this, if not ask your oncologist to prescribe it. god bless..also ask for a pain management doctor. cuz nobody should have to suffer like that. my husbands doctor was having my husband go thruogh the same darn pain and recentely when he was in the hospital a social worker recommended a palliative care doctor(pain management) and they switched his meds and added some...some are extended release and others are for breakthruogh pain(for when pain comes on strongly and all of a sudden) thats when you need to take something that will relieve the pain at that moment. i hope my info helps, because i really feel for people that are going thruogh that kind of pain, when it isnt necessary.

Cancer = Appetite Loss and exhaustion
    My husband has Lung Cancer, stage 4, spread to some lymph nodes, collar bone and one adrenal gland. It is in an inoperable part of the lung.... he is finishing 6 weeks of radiation, and at the same time has also been doing Chemo ( 3 sessions done... more to go till the end of January 2010). Thank you for mentioning an Appetite Stumulant "Megace" ... he really needs that and I will ask the doctor for it. He is so exhausted, without energy and "down".. doesn't want to be around people, etc
    Many Thanks for your help - Truly from the heart!
  • nanaof7
    nanaof7 Member Posts: 127
    suebloom said:

surviving stage iv lung cancer
    Hey Joe.....what is different about your "version"? I was diagnosed 7/08 with stage iv lung cancer due to one metastatic site in some lymph nodes under my arm. Just wondering what your story is?

what was the symptons of the lymph nodes under the arm
    thanks for any help you can give my dr. is not very effective