Pet/CT shows a 1.8 cent spot on liver

Options
Glv49
Glv49 Member Posts: 206 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi,
we got my hubbys results today.. dx June 08 colon cancer in transverse colon.. 18 in removed 1 pos node. 6 mos of folfox. Now a spot on his liver! Going to see a oncology surgeon, prob full work up, biopsy, surgery. We are in shock, because the onc told him in July his chemo was only a precaution, and apparantly this spot grew while he was taking chemo! I just wonder if this has happened to anyone else.. we were hoping for good news today. Onc did say sometimes things show up that aren't cancer. So we just have to wait. I was Stage IV 5 yrs ago, and have been blessed to be NED since.

Comments

• kimby
    kimby Member Posts: 797
    Options
    Liver
    I was diagnosed stage 3 with 3 of 21 lymph nodes positive August 17, 2007. I had a colon resection and six months of folfox. During that time I developed liver mets. It is treatable. Dont jump to any conclusions until you get the test results. Also, if he only has one tumor he will most likely be a good candidate for a liver resection which is the best likelyhood of a cure.

Congrats on your own survivorship! 5 years is an incredible milestone.

Kimby
  • colon2
    colon2 Member Posts: 183
    Options
    hello
    Well I must say your post kind of scared me a little. It sounds a lot like my story. 24 inches removed on Jan 7, and 1 positive lymph node. I just did my first day of folfox treatment today. Thats the story they are telling me too. A precaution, to kill any cancer cells that might be remaining. Hopefully whatever is showing up on the liver is not cancer. We will pray that it is not that serious. But if you were stage IV and have been NED for 5 years then you already know that we never can give up. We just keep fighting. Congrats on yours and we will pray that your hubby is ok soon.
    Carletta
  • CherylHutch
    CherylHutch Member Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Totally understandable...
    ... that when you get news you weren't expecting, it becomes very scary. Like the others have said... don't automatically jump to conclusions that this is really bad news. Obviously, having a totally clear scan would have been the best news, but as the doc says... one doesn't really know what it is until they do more tests, etc. Worst case scenerio... let's say it is a cancer tumour. If it's a single met, then it does sound like he would be an ideal candidate for surgery to get rid of the little beastie.

The message I'm hearing over and over again is that, for the most part, when/if something is found, then it is treatable. Oh sure, you hear those words Stage IV, incurable, no cure, terminal, etc. and it's enough to give you the worst nightmares. Been there, done that, have had the nightmares (and daymares) to prove it! I don't think we ever really get over the "But...what if..." scenerios in our minds.

But then I look at you and your story where you were Stage IV 5 years ago and here you are NED today... that is the hope we all have!! Your hubby will be able to look at you every day and say, "See... I've seen it with my own eyes!" Stage IV is just a number... the fight is on and it's no where near finished.

Although I'm not happy that the two of you have had such a scare, I am happy to see you posting here... and hope that you will now hang out with us :) We'd love to know how your hubby is doing... and of course, the more often we are reminded that Stage IV is just a stage... the better off all of us will be :)

Hugggggs,

Cheryl
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Hoping for better news
    I'm so sorry you got scary news. I'd be a little crazy with it, too. Hopefully you'll get better news soon. You have our prayers.

*hugs*

Gail

P.S. That's awesome that you are 5 years NED with a Stage 4 diagnosis!
  • Glv49
    Glv49 Member Posts: 206 Member
    Options

Totally understandable...
    ... that when you get news you weren't expecting, it becomes very scary. Like the others have said... don't automatically jump to conclusions that this is really bad news. Obviously, having a totally clear scan would have been the best news, but as the doc says... one doesn't really know what it is until they do more tests, etc. Worst case scenerio... let's say it is a cancer tumour. If it's a single met, then it does sound like he would be an ideal candidate for surgery to get rid of the little beastie.

The message I'm hearing over and over again is that, for the most part, when/if something is found, then it is treatable. Oh sure, you hear those words Stage IV, incurable, no cure, terminal, etc. and it's enough to give you the worst nightmares. Been there, done that, have had the nightmares (and daymares) to prove it! I don't think we ever really get over the "But...what if..." scenerios in our minds.

But then I look at you and your story where you were Stage IV 5 years ago and here you are NED today... that is the hope we all have!! Your hubby will be able to look at you every day and say, "See... I've seen it with my own eyes!" Stage IV is just a number... the fight is on and it's no where near finished.

Although I'm not happy that the two of you have had such a scare, I am happy to see you posting here... and hope that you will now hang out with us :) We'd love to know how your hubby is doing... and of course, the more often we are reminded that Stage IV is just a stage... the better off all of us will be :)

Hugggggs,

Cheryl

hubby cancer
    Thanks to all of you that replied.. I will keep you posted. His appt is scheduled for March 12th. But may be able to be seen sooner. I just can't understand how he can have a normal cea level, and normal bloodwork, and this be a cancer spot? The onc told us it is very unusual but can happen. He just finished his folfox on Dec 31st. I am praying its nothing, I have heard that other things can light up on a PET and not be cancer, but if it is he will fight. fight. fight. The pic of me is holding our two beautiful grandchildren, we have been married 35 years, and this beast WILL NOT DESTROY OUR LIFE. I hope I am an inspiration to everyone that is a Stage IV. They told me in 2003 It didn't look promising for me, and the chemo regimine that I took 5FU, oxil,and leucovorin was brand new.. and thank God I am alive and well. So all of you never ever give up!

Love,
    Gail
  • lizbiz
    lizbiz Member Posts: 120
    Options
    Wow!
    This sounds exactly like my situation. I finished my 12th FOLFOX treatment on Jan 2, 2009, had a CT scan and it showed a 2 cm liver lesion. I had another CT scan and a PET scan and found not only the liver lesion but 2 "walnut-sized" intra-abdominal mets (presumably). These were obviously growing while I was on FOLFOX. My onc. said that this isn't that uncommon, that 50% of those who receive FOLFOX respond and the other 50%...well, it just doesn't work for them.

My CEA is also relatively low at 3.6. The good news is that all of my new growths are easily resectable. It's scary, but you are living proof to never give up. Personally, I find that very inspirational!

Hugs and Hope,
    Elizabeth
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator