ok, what happened???

Options
sunnygirl
sunnygirl Member Posts: 57 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My first infusion was tues. feb 17th. AC with a neulasta shot the day after, emend caps 2 days after and steroids for three days--everything was finished--med wise--on Fri. I felt ok, not good, but ok.

I totally fell apart over the weekend. Weepy, achy, tired both Sat and Sun. I was ready to swear off any more chemo. Today is better. Anyone else experience this and is the pattern likely to continue with future infusions?

SG

Comments

• Derbygirl
    Derbygirl Member Posts: 198
    Options
    We all react differently to
    We all react differently to the meds and unfortunately there are side effects with chemo and neulasta. My problems during chemo were like clockwork and continued throughout the course of treatment, but I found this to be very helpful in planning other things in my life. Be sure to drink plenty of water, eat small frequent meals and rest often. Neulasta is notorious for causing flu-like symptoms of fever and aches. Over-the-counter meds gave me relief. I finished treatment on Christmas Eve 2008 and survived. Hope that you'll do everything possible in fighting cancer because whatever the side effects, the potential benefit is greater. Look forward to hearing from you soon.
  • jakeca
    jakeca Member Posts: 92
    Options
    Side effects
    My infusion day was always on a Tuesday. Friday was always my bad day--aches and fatigue mostly. The weekends were usually pretty "rocky" and by Monday I was beginning to feel better. I am a church organist and it was always an effort to go to church on Sunday and do my thing, but I was always able to do it. I am fortunate that other than my organist job, I am a stay-at-home wife, so Sunday was my only "push myself" day. I know many women continue to work through chemo and I guess if I had to, I could have, but I'm grateful I didn't have to. Fortunately I only had to have four treatments, so I am now recovering from my last one and preparing to start radiation.

It's hard--this has been the longest winter of my life--and sometimes you just want to give up. But I think we all know that chemo is in our best interest and the only way to get to the end of it is to go through it. Once you've started, you might as well finish. Best wishes to you as you continue your journey.
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Options
    Sunnygirl
    I had my 3rd infusion feb 18 and can say i almost forget how awful it is by the time i am to get it again. If this is like the last one it could last up to 7-10 days and then day by day i start to feel more like myself until the next one. Sure will be glad when this is over. I think the problems though are pretty predictable and some can be prevented as we learn what we need to do to keep them from arising..Thank God for ativan!!!
    I also was depressed and tired this weekend. Sorry you were too. I bet this will get better as the days go on. And we WILL get through it. My best to you for better and better days!!
    God bless
    Jackie
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    First Infusion Worst; Others Not so Bad
    Sunnygirl, my first infusion was the worst (well, so far out of 3, the third one being on Friday). For that one, changing my anti-nausea med helped, and really, time. You have heard of taking it one day at a time? During the first few days of the first infusion, I would pray, Lord, just let me make it through the next hour or minutes. And I did. The advice others have given is great; the only thing I can add is that it will get better.
  • Joycelouise
    Joycelouise Member Posts: 482
    Options
    Yes, that sounds like a
    Yes, that sounds like a pattern I went through. Looking back, chemo was like getting eight bad flues in one year. That doesn't sound all that bad. But the emotional component was huge. I think part of it is that when we are scared (no kidding) about having C and then we feel aches and pains it feels like the beast is coming for us. But NO, it is the chemo, it is the cure that is making us feel bad. I needed to tell myself that over and over, but still my naive little brain kept saying "panic, panic, you are in bad trouble Joyce". The best thing about being a wimp is that after you live through it and you tell someone else that they can too, it means something. You CAN get through this! I did. love, Joyce (the wimp)
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Options
    Chemo pattern
    Sunny Girl, my pattern was a lot like yours, except that I got my chemo on Wednesday. The first 4 were AC. I was still a little out of it (tired) on Monday, but able to go to work. The last 4 treatments were paclitaxol, or taxotere? which weren't as debilitating on the weekends. I did have some side effects, but I got through it.. me an anxious, neurotic maniac. You can do it. Be sure to come here with your questions and worries. We're all here to hold each others hands. Lynn
  • Mikes Sunshine
    Mikes Sunshine Member Posts: 129
    Options
    lynn1950 said:

Chemo pattern
    Sunny Girl, my pattern was a lot like yours, except that I got my chemo on Wednesday. The first 4 were AC. I was still a little out of it (tired) on Monday, but able to go to work. The last 4 treatments were paclitaxol, or taxotere? which weren't as debilitating on the weekends. I did have some side effects, but I got through it.. me an anxious, neurotic maniac. You can do it. Be sure to come here with your questions and worries. We're all here to hold each others hands. Lynn

Chemo Pattern
    Hi I don't know yet if I have a pattern. I had my first infusion on Feb. 6 and I am going on Friday for my second. All I can tell you is that I cried so much after the first one I didn't think I would have any tears left. But, it does get better. That lasted about a week and little by little each day I felt better. I posted about having a bad day at that time and the sisters-in-pink got me through it. You will find so much support here. If I can do this I know you can. I will keep you in my thoughts. Love, Nancy
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Options

Chemo Pattern
    Hi I don't know yet if I have a pattern. I had my first infusion on Feb. 6 and I am going on Friday for my second. All I can tell you is that I cried so much after the first one I didn't think I would have any tears left. But, it does get better. That lasted about a week and little by little each day I felt better. I posted about having a bad day at that time and the sisters-in-pink got me through it. You will find so much support here. If I can do this I know you can. I will keep you in my thoughts. Love, Nancy

Good luck Nancy
    Hi Nancy, just wanted to tell you good luck on Friday, and that i loved your post on hobbies and pastimes.. i could almost see the waves of the beach and you and Mike on the bike with the warmth of the sun on your face. Thanks for sharing.
    God Bless
    Jackie
  • Mikes Sunshine
    Mikes Sunshine Member Posts: 129
    Options
    rjjj said:

Good luck Nancy
    Hi Nancy, just wanted to tell you good luck on Friday, and that i loved your post on hobbies and pastimes.. i could almost see the waves of the beach and you and Mike on the bike with the warmth of the sun on your face. Thanks for sharing.
    God Bless
    Jackie

Thank You
    Thank You Jackie,
    I hope you are having a good day today. I always like reading your postings. Maybe you will have to give me a lesson on canning those veggies from the garden. I don't have a clue.
    Love, Nancy
  • redriverartist
    redriverartist Member Posts: 54
    Options
    Sunnygirl - I've just
    Sunnygirl - I've just finished 4 rounds of A/C and 2 rounds of Taxol. I've experienced all of the roller coaster rides with the emotions and the physical side effects. And we're all different and our bodies react differently to the meds. I didn't think I'd make it with the A/C. But I did. The taxol is better even with the aches and pains that go with it. I never thought I'd say this, either, but it really does get better. I almost exhausted myself with all the anger - first at the cancer and then at my oncologist. He just seemed to hate women in general. But I've come this far and I have 2 rounds to go. I'm on the downhill side, now.

The folks on this discussion board are wonderful, amazing people. You'll gain knowledge and strength and new friends. We're all with you, girl. Teresa
  • sunnygirl
    sunnygirl Member Posts: 57 Member
    Options

Sunnygirl - I've just
    Sunnygirl - I've just finished 4 rounds of A/C and 2 rounds of Taxol. I've experienced all of the roller coaster rides with the emotions and the physical side effects. And we're all different and our bodies react differently to the meds. I didn't think I'd make it with the A/C. But I did. The taxol is better even with the aches and pains that go with it. I never thought I'd say this, either, but it really does get better. I almost exhausted myself with all the anger - first at the cancer and then at my oncologist. He just seemed to hate women in general. But I've come this far and I have 2 rounds to go. I'm on the downhill side, now.

The folks on this discussion board are wonderful, amazing people. You'll gain knowledge and strength and new friends. We're all with you, girl. Teresa

it's better
    Thanks, Teresa, and everyone. I'm so-o-o-0 much better today, and I don't have to face another infusion until next Tuesday. I actually thought this morning, hey, I feel NORMAL!! I sure felt the anger and resented how easily the med. community gives you this stuff. I thought, "Boy, if they ever had chemo, they wouldn't be so *#** casual about it."
    Hopefully, I'll get through it and I appreciate all the support from everyone. Being a newby isn't easy, but having lots of sister survivors as mentors is the best. Sunnygirl
  • divablu
    divablu Member Posts: 75
    Options
    Me too
    When I went through the first 8 weeks of treatment ... Well here's how it went. First one, not so bad. Nausea and lived on yogurt smoothies. By the 3rd and 4th treatment I was on the couch all day with a headache. Couldn't move, blinding headache. Would just stay in bed all day. It got so yucky one weekend that I curled up in a ball and cried. Was miserable! Swore I would never go through this again. At that time it was hard for me to believe that I could make it through any more treatments period! The next 8 weeks of treatment on Taxol were much more tolerable. And now I've just had my first radiation treatment.

Hard to believe, but you are probably going through the worse of it right now. Time does click by and there is an end to all this coming!

Stay strong, be kind to yourself. You are not alone, I've been there too.

P.S. My smoothie recipe ... Organic yogurt, a berry mix of blue berries (very cancer fighting), boysen berries, black berries, powdered milk, powdered soy protein, and sometimes I cracked an egg into the smoothie.

Also, for nausea ... I took everything the doctor gave me but what really helped me was hot water with honey, lemon and a slice of ginger root. Boil the ginger root, add honey and lemon to your cup. I would sip on this all day and it helped my nausea.