Hi I am new here

Options
verlina
verlina Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi I am Verlina and I just got diagnosed with breast cancer last week and I am scheduled for a double mastectomy on March 18th. I am scared and looking for help. Thank You!

Comments

• RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Options
    Glad you found us!
    Hello Verlina,

I am sorry you have to go through this, however I am so glad you found this site as the people here are very informative and supportive. Please feel free to come here and ask any questions you have or just vent if you are feeling a bit stressed.

I remember the first month being so stressful as you are being subjected to a ton of tests and then waiting for all the results. Please get yourself a note book and start to write down all of your questions for your doctor because this illness is so overwhelming you will most likely forget what you wanted to ask when you see him. Also it is helpful to have a loved one or trusted friend attend your appt. with you because they will hear things you will miss due to the stress of it all.

Please know that we are here for you! My Best to you and a ton of (((((((BIG BER HUGS))))))

RE
  • EveningStar2
    EveningStar2 Member Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Welcome

I echo that I'm sorry for the circumstances that brought you here but there are good people with lots of empathy and information here.

And I suggest you also use the suggested notebook for names, phone numbers, appointments, information. In the beginning it is rather overwhelming.

Maureen
  • courageous1
    courageous1 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi Verlina
    I too am sorry you are having this experience. I believe in prayer so I'll send some up for you. I am a breast cancer survivor for 8 years and do however have a different cancer now that is totally unrelated.

Something that has been helpful is what I call my "Medical Journal". It's just a beautifully decorated binder with tabs. I take it to all my doctor appointments and enclosed are: doc appts, questions for the doc (I always write these prior to the appts), list of current medications, and any side effects that I encounter along the day. I also recommend you get a 2 inch (or larger) 3-ring binder so you can organize and house the paperwork, booklets, and copies of tests/exams which you will accumulate. Oh yeah, I always get 2 business cards for every doctor that takes part in my care; 1 for my business card file and the other to keep somewhere in my purse/wallet.

I hope this helps. Take care and don't forget to smile to yourself in the mirror everyday!
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    Welcome Verlina to the club
    Welcome Verlina to the club no one wants to join. LOL. I am so sorry you are here with us because it means you too are fighting the beast. You will find a great group of survivors and caregivers on this board. We've all walked in your shoes so we know the fear and anxiety of the unknown. I'm so glad you found us because we will try to help in anyway we can.

Since you have just been diagnosed my advice to you is the following:

1) Buy a small notebook and write down all your questions so that you won't forget when you go to the doctor.
    2) Bring someone with you. 4 Ears are better than 2 and you will be so overwhelmed with the information they are giving you that you will not hear everything.

As you go along, you will have more questions, so feel free to post them and we'll try to answer them. Hugs, lili
  • Jadie
    Jadie Member Posts: 723
    Options
    Hi Verlina and welcome
    I'm

Hi Verlina and welcome

I'm just sorry that you had to join us. Of course you are scared. We have all been there and we are living proof that it is all doable. You have a long hard road ahead of you. We are here to support you all the way. Take one step at a time. Live in the moment.

The journal and notebook ideas are very good ones. You will be overwhelmed with everything because it is all so new to you. Try to take someone with you. They might hear something that you miss. Keep us posted.

Hugs
    Jadie
  • Derbygirl
    Derbygirl Member Posts: 198
    Options
    One of the most frightening
    One of the most frightening things to hear is the cancer diagnosis, but as you will soon find out there are survivors on this network ready to help you through this. Feel free to visit 24/7 and you'll always find someone willing to share their experiences. You'll be anxious, worried and exhausted, but you can survive. In the beginning I read and learned all that I could about cancer and treatments on the internet. Be sure to visit reliable websites like Mayo Clinic, Johns Hopkins and ACS for information. I had a lumpectomy so I can't say much about the mastectomy, but there are people on this network that can offer their experience. Looking forward to hearing from you soon. Good luck.
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Options
    Hi Verlina
    I am sure you are frightened. The emotions and fear are out of control at first. Just try to concentrate on one step at a time..sometimes one minute at a time. Thats what we are here for.. support and answers, compassion and understanding. You have come to the right place. Keep us informed and my prayers go out to you. You will make it!!
    Hugs
    Jackie
  • Joycelouise
    Joycelouise Member Posts: 482
    Options
    I was scared too. When I
    I was scared too. When I found this site, and had people write back to me, it helped a lot. Let us help you as much as we can. Just think of all the fingers, typing all the letters, as fingers linked with yours like holding hands. One of the scariest things for me to consider is all the women who have to get though this alone. You are not alone. Love, Joyce (1 and 1/2 years away from DX)
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    Options

I was scared too. When I
    I was scared too. When I found this site, and had people write back to me, it helped a lot. Let us help you as much as we can. Just think of all the fingers, typing all the letters, as fingers linked with yours like holding hands. One of the scariest things for me to consider is all the women who have to get though this alone. You are not alone. Love, Joyce (1 and 1/2 years away from DX)

Scared?
    Blimey I was terrified! As are you. Nice to meet you and sorry our paths crossed too. Glad you found us though, It's the best place to be at the moment. Huge Hugs Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx