Newly diagnosed

Options
shooshee
shooshee Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had a suspicious mammogram on Dec 16,2008, A repeat was done on Janurary 9th and was diagnosed with cancer. I had a double mastectomy on Feb 2,2009, There was no lump so thank God for the mammo. Anyway I have had the drains removed and am going to plastic surgeon for draining the fluid 2 times a week. I have to go again on Tuesday and at last appt he said that I may only have to go 1 time a week. The surgeon is scheduling an appointment for the oncologist sometime this next week. Meanwhile I am sore, but healing well. I have trouble sleeping because of the pain in upper chest. I was told to take tylenol for the pain after the more aggressive pain meds ran out. That takes the edge off and I can usually go to sleep. Tonight is the exception. I had not had trouble sleeping until the last couple of nights. Will mention it to doctor when I go again.

Comments

• tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    welcome
    I have not been a member long but wish to welcome you to this fantastic site.
    I had a double mastectomy on 2/2/09 as well with tissue expanders.
    I'm sorry but I had no problem sleeping and had no pain.
    Before my appointments with the plastic surgeon before my saline injections I take Motrin and that seems to help with the discomfort.

Yes you should mention it to your doctor when you see him/her.

Margo
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    Welcome to the club no one
    Welcome to the club no one wants to join. LOL. You will find a wonderful group of survivors and caregivers on this site. When I had my mastectomy I also built up fluid which the surgeon had to remove with a syringe. I found that as the fluid was building up it would cause me discomfort to the point where I couldn't sleep comfortably either. Once, the fluid build up stops, you should be able to rest better. Even though, I honestly have not had a full nights sleep since being diagnosed. Keep us posted, Hugs, Lili
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    Welcome
    I did not have your exact experience, but I do want to welcome you to our group. I am sure you will find us to be well-informed, nurturing, and the best Cyber-huggers on the planet!

Keep us posted! We're with you, sister!

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    not the same but what worked for me
    I didn't have fluid build up and didn't have pain, usually I had no trouble sleeping but a few nights I did. I found a glass of milk put me right to sleep. It wasn't warm either.
  • shooshee
    Options

welcome
    I have not been a member long but wish to welcome you to this fantastic site.
    I had a double mastectomy on 2/2/09 as well with tissue expanders.
    I'm sorry but I had no problem sleeping and had no pain.
    Before my appointments with the plastic surgeon before my saline injections I take Motrin and that seems to help with the discomfort.

Yes you should mention it to your doctor when you see him/her.

Margo

Have not been on lately, but
    Have not been on lately, but want to relate to all of you. I am still having the fluid withdrawn, but am down to once a week. I still have not seen the oncologist, but it is being worked on. Sleeping better and not really having pain, just some tightness in the upper chest due to the implants. I am scared that I might have to have chemo, but guess I will live through it if I do. Hopefully, I will find out this week. Thanks for the reply.
  • shooshee
    Options
    chenheart said:

Welcome
    I did not have your exact experience, but I do want to welcome you to our group. I am sure you will find us to be well-informed, nurturing, and the best Cyber-huggers on the planet!

Keep us posted! We're with you, sister!

Hugs,
    Claudia

Thanks for the reply. From
    Thanks for the reply. From what I have read, this is the place to be.\Hugs, Phyllis
  • shooshee
    Options

Welcome to the club no one
    Welcome to the club no one wants to join. LOL. You will find a wonderful group of survivors and caregivers on this site. When I had my mastectomy I also built up fluid which the surgeon had to remove with a syringe. I found that as the fluid was building up it would cause me discomfort to the point where I couldn't sleep comfortably either. Once, the fluid build up stops, you should be able to rest better. Even though, I honestly have not had a full nights sleep since being diagnosed. Keep us posted, Hugs, Lili

Thanks for you reply. I am
    Thanks for you reply. I am resting better, but have nights of restlessness when I cannot sleep, but get up and read or watch tv until I can. I am still having fluid removed, but it is getting better. I only go once a week now. I am waiting now to see when my appointment with the oncologist is. I am trying to stay busy so as not to think about the cancer too much. Love to you all. Phyllis