New to Group

Options
gerrico1216
gerrico1216 Member Posts: 41
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hello, I have so many questions and emotions. I will start with 1/13/2009 biospy stated Invasive Ductal Carisoma possible lymhnodes. Had surgery 2/5/2008 report showed sized 2.5 in 4 lymphnodes (2.4 in sixeto 1.5) Grade III ER/PR posiive. Port cath is scheduled for Tuesday 24th. 2nd Onocologists is Wednesday.

I have questions. Since lumpectomy and nodes removed I have an infection and swollen and arm hurts is this related to surgery?

One problem I have is that I'm tired about 3 months prior of finding lump. Mammo wouldn't have picked this lump up.

I just had courage to actually express myself.

Thank you for listening. I think this site is wonderful from I have seen.

Darlene

Comments

• EveningStar2
    EveningStar2 Member Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    welcome

Sorry for all that you have been through. My situation is different than yours so I can't really speak to your questions except that I suspect the arm swelling is related to lymphodema caused by the removal of the lymph nodes. I'm sure that our sisters in pink will have more information for you.

Maureen
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Options
    Glad you came to us Darlene
    If you have to have this dreaded desease at least you will be blessed with many answers, much support, understanding and prayers from all the courageous women and men here. Please don't feel all alone and come here for any questions you might have. This is a wonderful support group!
    I also was dx with stage 111 ER/PR pos. lump size 2.5, 6 pos. lymph nodes out of 21 taken. I had a masectomy Left side Dec.2nd and am a couple days past my 3rd chemo treatment. I will be on Herceptin for a year and have 6 wks. of radiation to follow the chemo.
    I was dx with lymphodemia. and have several apts. with PT. which hasn't turned out beneficial as yet.. but i'm sure your PT will be more on the ball than mine (I have former posts on this) I guess lymphodemia can come and go any time..They have sleeves you can wear and excersizes you can do. It helps to keep your arm elevated above your heart on pillows and squeeze a ball with your hand. Stetches are good too. Most of this i have learned on my own. Oh yeah..cut down on salt and carbonated soda's. They have a machine i haven't got to try yet but it works kinda like a blood pressure machine that massages the fluid back to the lymphs where it belongs. There are also mannual massage therapy you or your husband or friend can help you with. They say it gets worse when you fly..haven't tried it yet but i'm sure i will since i love to fly. They say this condition never goes away but can come and go at any time. They did an ultra sound first to rule out blood-clots.
    I am praying for you and i know how painful and frustrating it can be when you have to sit with your arm in the air instead of doing all of the other things you want to do. I have to remind myself that this is the price we have to pay for our lives and that i guess is worth whatever we must do. Please keep us informed as i also would like to learn more about lymphodemia and what your DR. suggests.
    May God bless you and your family Darlene,
    Jackie
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    Hi Darlene, it was nice
    Hi Darlene, it was nice seeing you in the chat room last nite. I'm sorry you are having to go through this too. You'll meet a wonderful group of ladies and gents on this board who are either fighting the beast, have finished treatments or are caregivers. They are insightful, funny, resourceful and most of all understanding of what we are all going through. Please post any questions or concerns you may have and we will all try to help out in any way we can. Hugs, Lili
  • gerrico1216
    Options

Hi Darlene, it was nice
    Hi Darlene, it was nice seeing you in the chat room last nite. I'm sorry you are having to go through this too. You'll meet a wonderful group of ladies and gents on this board who are either fighting the beast, have finished treatments or are caregivers. They are insightful, funny, resourceful and most of all understanding of what we are all going through. Please post any questions or concerns you may have and we will all try to help out in any way we can. Hugs, Lili

mmontero
    It was a plearsure in talking last night. You guys on here are beautifuland wonderful. Everything I have seen on here has been Very helpful to me. Atleast I have somewhere to vent if need be. I will looking forward to speaking again. I can now have a face to our conversations. Thank you
  • gerrico1216
    Options
    rjjj said:

Glad you came to us Darlene
    If you have to have this dreaded desease at least you will be blessed with many answers, much support, understanding and prayers from all the courageous women and men here. Please don't feel all alone and come here for any questions you might have. This is a wonderful support group!
    I also was dx with stage 111 ER/PR pos. lump size 2.5, 6 pos. lymph nodes out of 21 taken. I had a masectomy Left side Dec.2nd and am a couple days past my 3rd chemo treatment. I will be on Herceptin for a year and have 6 wks. of radiation to follow the chemo.
    I was dx with lymphodemia. and have several apts. with PT. which hasn't turned out beneficial as yet.. but i'm sure your PT will be more on the ball than mine (I have former posts on this) I guess lymphodemia can come and go any time..They have sleeves you can wear and excersizes you can do. It helps to keep your arm elevated above your heart on pillows and squeeze a ball with your hand. Stetches are good too. Most of this i have learned on my own. Oh yeah..cut down on salt and carbonated soda's. They have a machine i haven't got to try yet but it works kinda like a blood pressure machine that massages the fluid back to the lymphs where it belongs. There are also mannual massage therapy you or your husband or friend can help you with. They say it gets worse when you fly..haven't tried it yet but i'm sure i will since i love to fly. They say this condition never goes away but can come and go at any time. They did an ultra sound first to rule out blood-clots.
    I am praying for you and i know how painful and frustrating it can be when you have to sit with your arm in the air instead of doing all of the other things you want to do. I have to remind myself that this is the price we have to pay for our lives and that i guess is worth whatever we must do. Please keep us informed as i also would like to learn more about lymphodemia and what your DR. suggests.
    May God bless you and your family Darlene,
    Jackie

Thannk you Jackie
    Your information was great. God Bless to your family as well.

Darlene
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    Welcome Aboard
    Although our circumstances may not be exact~ I am glad that you found us, and that we can share the journey to Life After Cancer with you! As you have already seen, we are an amazing group of survivors who will be with yu every step of the way.

Welcome to the group...you are not likely to find a better place to be!

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Options
    Welcome and congrats on
    Welcome and congrats on being a survivor. You will be ok and we are all here to support you. Hugs, Eil