Robert Schimmel book *Update

Options
kimby
kimby Member Posts: 797
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I promised that I'd post a review of Robert Schimmel's book "Cancer on $5 a day, *Chemo Not Included" when I got it from the library, so here goes:

It is a very quick read. It made me laugh (out loud) to the point that I was freaking people out in the infusion room. And it made me cry. It was one of the better 'canzer' books I've read. BUT, it certainly isn't for everyone. It is NOT spiritual in any traditional sense. He curses ALOT and has a Howard Stern quality to it. Although I'm not a Stern fan, he is edgy like that. Lot's of sex references.

Schimmel had Non-hodkins lymphoma and had a son die of brain canzer at the age of 11 (3 at diagnosis). It is really about how humor got him through his canzer journey and how he used humor to touch other lives.

Sooo, I liked it but I was schooled in raunchy humor by my father. :)

Kimby

Comments

• tiny one
    tiny one Member Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Robert Schmillel
    My husband and I saw him at the Jukebox Comedy Club Feb 13th. Part of the proceeds went to the cancer society. He's a little raw but when he starts talking about wigs for private parts that was hilarious. I didn't call it what he calls it, I didn't want to offend anyone. I should buy his book. He showed pictures to the audience when he was receiving treatment. He showed pictures of his family and said that's what made it worth it.
  • jenben59
    jenben59 Member Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Kimby
    I'm going to go and get that book. I need a good laugh and am trying to stay positive. Thanks for the info.
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    Options
    jenben59 said:

Kimby
    I'm going to go and get that book. I need a good laugh and am trying to stay positive. Thanks for the info.

I don't know why...
    I thought he had colon cancer at first, but watch his show on showtime or rent his DVD, I love a raw sense of humor, and he is absolutely funny.
  • SandyL
    SandyL Member Posts: 218
    Options
    Shayenne said:

I don't know why...
    I thought he had colon cancer at first, but watch his show on showtime or rent his DVD, I love a raw sense of humor, and he is absolutely funny.

What is the name
    of this book, please? I would love to laugh at cancer.
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    Options
    SandyL said:

What is the name

I believe...
    ...It's called "Cancer on $5 A Day", try watching some videos with him on youtube as well :)
  • kimby
    kimby Member Posts: 797
    Options
    SandyL said:

What is the name

Sandy
    The name of the book is: "Cancer on $5 a day, *Chemo Not Included".

Kimby
  • jenben59
    jenben59 Member Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    kimby said:

Sandy
    The name of the book is: "Cancer on $5 a day, *Chemo Not Included".

Kimby

The Book
    Kimby, I was so excited about the book you wrote about, so I contacted the book stores and they are "out of stock". I got online and ordered it. I can't wait to read it. I need something to laugh about. I appreciate you letting everyone know about it...I've never heard of it until I read your post. Thanks again.