Krista

Options
tiny one
tiny one Member Posts: 465 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Just wondering how did it go yesterday? You've been in my thoughts. God bless.

Comments

• kristasplace
    kristasplace Member Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Hi Tiny
    Hi Tiny! The procedure was actually pretty well. The doc was able to dilate me to 18mm, and my surgeon wanted 20. I think that will do, so now i'm just waiting until she gets me in to do the reversal. I'm expecting it to happen around Wednesday. I still was not able to get my colonoscopy because there was so much bleeding. They scoped me orally too. What an experience that was. It's unfortunate that i always remember so much of the procedures! They found more things wrong with me, and i'm beginning to wonder why my health is deteriorating so much?

Anyway, i will let you know if they are able to give me the reversal this week.

How are you doing? After the dilation, i had a few 'accidents', and thought i was going to have to start wearing diapers. After a couple of days, i was able to control it better. How are you doing with control?

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
    Krista
  • tiny one
    Options

Hi Tiny
    Hi Tiny! The procedure was actually pretty well. The doc was able to dilate me to 18mm, and my surgeon wanted 20. I think that will do, so now i'm just waiting until she gets me in to do the reversal. I'm expecting it to happen around Wednesday. I still was not able to get my colonoscopy because there was so much bleeding. They scoped me orally too. What an experience that was. It's unfortunate that i always remember so much of the procedures! They found more things wrong with me, and i'm beginning to wonder why my health is deteriorating so much?

Anyway, i will let you know if they are able to give me the reversal this week.

How are you doing? After the dilation, i had a few 'accidents', and thought i was going to have to start wearing diapers. After a couple of days, i was able to control it better. How are you doing with control?

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
    Krista

I'm glad the dilation went well. I didn't experience any loss of control when they did my dilation. My control is pretty good, the lomotil I take really helps with that. I had my reversal done on Dec 21, 2007. I had no pain from that procedure at all. I was released on Dec 23,07. I thought at this point this is a piece of cake. Boy was I wrong. After a few days, I had no control and didn't for at least a couple of months. Some people don't have any problems from theirs. I would be in the bathroom right at first as many as 15 to 19 times a day. I would go small amounts and my stool was very small and still is now. You feel like you have to go ASAP but it takes awhile to go. Sometimes I would be on the throne for 30-40 minutes and think I was done and I wasn't. Each time I would go I was getting more sore. No one prepared me for this. Here's what will make it easier on you. Soft toilet paper or wipes. Barrier spray or cream for tushy. When they talk about butt burn their not kidding. Sitz baths and showers make the tushy feel better. Loose clothes or robes and quick access to the bathroom. What you could eat before you might not be able to now. Have something to do while your on the potty. I used to do word search. Keep a journal. Be forewarned. When I had alot of pain I experienced depression and I got help for it. I wear a pad at all times it saves your clothes and makes you feel secure. Poise pads are good if you're going to be in the car for awhile. If the above sounds rough it is. It will get better, it takes awhile. I would do the reversal again even if I knew it was going to be tough. Don't get discouraged. I just hope your Dr prepares you, my surgeon didn't prepare me at all. God bless, I hope this info helps you and spares you of the discomfort.
  • kristasplace
    kristasplace Member Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Again...
    Hi Tiny! Yes, that description sounds very much like old times. I was symptomatic for two years prior to my diagnosis mainly because of the bleeding, but about eight months before, i began having more frequent bowel movements until i was going about 25 times a day because the tumor had engulfed the entire circumference of the colon. There came a time when i could no longer pass stool unless it had time to turn into diarrhea, then slowly it would come out. The pain was excruciating. I'd have to lay in the bathtub with the hottest water i could stand for up to an hour in order to pass stool. This is why i'm so scared of the reversal. I would rather have the ileostomy forever, and adjust my life to that than ever go through that suffering again. I've stopped pressuring my surgeon and her assistant to get me in for the surgery. At least my life is tolerable right now. Living in the bathroom again won't be.

I so appreciate your honesty about the situation. I have asked my surgeon and oncologist if it was possible i'd have a rough time retraining my bowels, and both of them say it's unlikely. I NEVER trust it when a doctor says 'unlikely', because that means they're unlikely to be right! I really don't think i want to do it.

I will let you know if it does happen, and what goes on as a result.

Many hugs!
    Krista
  • tiny one
    Options

Again...
    Hi Tiny! Yes, that description sounds very much like old times. I was symptomatic for two years prior to my diagnosis mainly because of the bleeding, but about eight months before, i began having more frequent bowel movements until i was going about 25 times a day because the tumor had engulfed the entire circumference of the colon. There came a time when i could no longer pass stool unless it had time to turn into diarrhea, then slowly it would come out. The pain was excruciating. I'd have to lay in the bathtub with the hottest water i could stand for up to an hour in order to pass stool. This is why i'm so scared of the reversal. I would rather have the ileostomy forever, and adjust my life to that than ever go through that suffering again. I've stopped pressuring my surgeon and her assistant to get me in for the surgery. At least my life is tolerable right now. Living in the bathroom again won't be.

I so appreciate your honesty about the situation. I have asked my surgeon and oncologist if it was possible i'd have a rough time retraining my bowels, and both of them say it's unlikely. I NEVER trust it when a doctor says 'unlikely', because that means they're unlikely to be right! I really don't think i want to do it.

I will let you know if it does happen, and what goes on as a result.

Many hugs!
    Krista

I remember the day when I was again in the bathroom and having pain. Not just physical but mental pain. I called a support person from the cancer center for healthy living and she literally saved my life. I told her if the pain didn't stop I was getting in my car in the garage with my pills and I was starting the car. I came so close to death. This happened at least twice before I got help. Lomotil has helped me have a life again. On days when I don't take it I have alot of soreness.
    Right after the reversal food was not fun anymore. I only ate to stay alive. I knew if I ate alot I would have to be in the bathroom. This is a constant reminder to me everyday of my cancer. You may want to consider leaving your bag on. God bless.