New To Group

Options
SusieQ123
SusieQ123 Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I was dx with stage 4 breast cancer with mets to the lung and bone in oct. I have just finished with my 5 chemo treatment.I don't know what is next.My dr. says my breast tumer markers are going down,but he doesn't say anything about the lung or bone,only that they are not getting any bigger.Does anyone know what there is to expect next?Thank you for your time and will look forward to hearing from you.

Comments

• mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group
    But so sorry you have to be here. I don't have the answers to your questions, but I know that sometimes the goal of stage IV therapy is to keep things where they are, without progression. It sounds like that's working for you. I would write down all my questions and have a nice, long sit-down with your oncologist about what is next. There are stage IV women on this site who might chime in. Please keep posting with us. Good luck.

Mimi
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Options
    Mimi is right there are
    Mimi is right there are others on this site who could share their stories with you. Also remember that there are many stage 4 cancer survivors out there who are surviving and doing well. Definitely talk with your doctor. He may only feel that you need to know information about the primart breast cancer but let him know that you want the big picture as well. Good luck and prayers, Eil
  • mimivac
    Options
    Eil4186 said:

Mimi is right there are
    Mimi is right there are others on this site who could share their stories with you. Also remember that there are many stage 4 cancer survivors out there who are surviving and doing well. Definitely talk with your doctor. He may only feel that you need to know information about the primart breast cancer but let him know that you want the big picture as well. Good luck and prayers, Eil

A quick thread highjack
    Eil, I love your new picture. Your cat is so precious. Also, your hair is beautiful.

Back to the thread, any stage IV women out there to help Susie?
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Options
    stage 4
    Hi Susie,

I was dx as a stage 4 during my second cancer battle in 98. I had it in my chest muscle and in the sentinel node. I was given 18 rounds of chemo and 10 weeks of rads. Originally they left the very visible tumor (it was on my chest just above my breast) where it was and used it as a marker to see how the chemo was working. The chemo did the job and shrank it to an undetectable size, so I suppose that is was destroyed. After treatment I went regularly to my onco for check ups and blood work. MRI, bone scans and Pet scans were only given if I was having a problem. When not at dr. apt. I have continued to live my life to the fullest I can. I have problems with lymphedema due to treatments but that does not mean I cannot enjoy myself. I know this is all new to you and very scary. Remember to ask your doctor any and all questions or concerns that you have, they work for you. No question is too silly to be asked. You may want to write them down so that you don't forget them. If you do not feel well by all means go to your doctor and let them knowk, no one knows you better than yourself. Be persistent if you are taken too lightly, this has happened to me and my doc and nurses now know that although i may joke a lot with them it is my way of getting the point across that i feel something more needs to be done. I guess i am really saying be diligent in regards to your health but also don't stop enjoying your life. I wish you all the best!

RE
  • SusieQ123
    SusieQ123 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    RE said:

stage 4
    Hi Susie,

I was dx as a stage 4 during my second cancer battle in 98. I had it in my chest muscle and in the sentinel node. I was given 18 rounds of chemo and 10 weeks of rads. Originally they left the very visible tumor (it was on my chest just above my breast) where it was and used it as a marker to see how the chemo was working. The chemo did the job and shrank it to an undetectable size, so I suppose that is was destroyed. After treatment I went regularly to my onco for check ups and blood work. MRI, bone scans and Pet scans were only given if I was having a problem. When not at dr. apt. I have continued to live my life to the fullest I can. I have problems with lymphedema due to treatments but that does not mean I cannot enjoy myself. I know this is all new to you and very scary. Remember to ask your doctor any and all questions or concerns that you have, they work for you. No question is too silly to be asked. You may want to write them down so that you don't forget them. If you do not feel well by all means go to your doctor and let them knowk, no one knows you better than yourself. Be persistent if you are taken too lightly, this has happened to me and my doc and nurses now know that although i may joke a lot with them it is my way of getting the point across that i feel something more needs to be done. I guess i am really saying be diligent in regards to your health but also don't stop enjoying your life. I wish you all the best!

RE

Thank you for answering my question.You gave my morale a big boost.I'm just a little nervous about what is next.
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Options
    SusieQ123 said:

Thank you for answering my question.You gave my morale a big boost.I'm just a little nervous about what is next.

Keep Fighting
    Susie,

Just remember to keep fighting against the cancer beast, never hesitate to come here with any concerns you have. THere is such a wonderful group of supportive people here. My best to you.

RE
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    Welcome Susie to the club no
    Welcome Susie to the club no one wants to join but alas here we are. I haven't had a stage 4 diagnosis, but there are lots of women here on the board that are there with you. I'm hoping they log on and see your post so they can answer your questions and give you more support then the rest of us can. Just know we are here for you to walk along beside you as you fight the beast. Post any questions or concerns you may have and we'll all try to help. Keep fighting. Hugs, Lili
  • mimivac
    Options
    RE said:

stage 4
    Hi Susie,

RE

Questions
    I just wanted to stress RE's point about questions. I often have so many that if I don't write them down I will forget even the most important ones. I see my oncologist before every chemo treatment, and I have a notebook where I keep all of my questions and her answers. Before every treatment, I date a page and write down each and every question as well as any weird symptoms or discomfort I am experiencing. It helps keep the mind uncluttered and makes sure that you are addressing every problem and issue. Good luck and let us know how everything is going.

Mimi
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    My Best Wishes to You, Susie
    I am sorry that I don't have useful information for you, Susie, but I add my best wishes and thoughts to those of everyone here. You have come to the right place: the sisters here have so often informed and comforted me, and I am sure you will find the same comfort and companionship. Please visit often and know that we are here for you.
  • Mikes Sunshine
    Mikes Sunshine Member Posts: 129
    Options

Welcome Susie to the club no
    Welcome Susie to the club no one wants to join but alas here we are. I haven't had a stage 4 diagnosis, but there are lots of women here on the board that are there with you. I'm hoping they log on and see your post so they can answer your questions and give you more support then the rest of us can. Just know we are here for you to walk along beside you as you fight the beast. Post any questions or concerns you may have and we'll all try to help. Keep fighting. Hugs, Lili

Welcome
    Susie i am sorry I can't answer any of your stage 4 questions but can tell you that you have found a wonderful group of caring and compastonate people. You will find much support here. Love, Nancy
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Options
    RE said:

stage 4
    Hi Susie,

RE

SuzieQ
    Sorry i have no real insights but want you to know you are very welcome here..although we all wish we could be somewhere else, you will recieve much valuable information from our sweet ladies in Pink. I do know the fear and uncertainty that you feel. Let us take you under our wings. More than that i pray God surrounds you with His peace and love.
    Listen to Re she is so knowlegeable and compassionate always seems to find an answer for us.
    Re, thank you for all that you do for us..I'm still praying for your friends. And of course for you and your rconstruction (Happy news!)
    bigs hugs to you and SuzieQ..baby i love you..SuzieQ!!
    Jackie
  • GrandmaEv
    GrandmaEv Member Posts: 9
    Options
    mimivac said:

Welcome to the group
    But so sorry you have to be here. I don't have the answers to your questions, but I know that sometimes the goal of stage IV therapy is to keep things where they are, without progression. It sounds like that's working for you. I would write down all my questions and have a nice, long sit-down with your oncologist about what is next. There are stage IV women on this site who might chime in. Please keep posting with us. Good luck.

Mimi

Hi
    Hi Mimi, I had breast cancer 5 years ago. I am new to the group. I was trying to get in to the chat room. Could you help me please? I down loaded java and i still can't get in. It says sorry there was an error in the application. What does that mean? Thank you so much for your time. GrandmaEv
  • peggy65
    peggy65 Member Posts: 100
    Options
    SusieQ123 said:

welcome to the group. i send
    welcome to the group. i send you big hugs and support. i know you must be concerned, anyone would be. i do not have any answers regarding your treatment but i do know that the positiveness of this group is a huge help to us all. my thoughts are with you. let us know how you are doing. love, peggy