please someone who had a bald spot reply/going crazy

Options
ohilly
ohilly Member Posts: 441
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I know this is not normal to be obsessing this much about my hair: my hair grew back in everywhere (it's been 5 months since it started growing) but in front there is one bald spot and you can see thru to my scalp. This is very, very upsetting to me: I use Nioxin products, but am still very anxious to the point that I made an appointment to see my therapist and may need anti-anxiety medications.

It seems like everyone else had their hair grow in just fine. Did anyone else ever experience the above problem, and what did you do about it? I was thinking about getting hair extensions, and I also called the Look Good Feel Better program (they haven't gotten back to me yet) to see if they could recommend a hairstylist who specializes in chemo hair. So I am trying to be proactive, and rationally I realize I am being crazy, that to other people the thinness in front isn't that bad. I have an appointment to see a dermatologist on March 20, and am thinking maybe I should try Rogaine, but am afraid because you have to use it for life.

Please tell me your experiences and give me your advice. I don't know why this one issue is upsetting me so much. When I had the wig, I wasn't as upset as I am now because I thought my baldness was temporary, but now I am very anxious that I will have to live with the thinness in the front for the rest of my life.

Thank you.

Ohilly

Comments

• mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    Ohilly: You posted that you
    Ohilly: You posted that you had made an appt with the dermatologist. Have you gone yet? Hugs, Lili

PS> Just found the post that says you are going on the 20th. Can you comb your hair differently to hide that bald spot until you get to the dr? And you're not obsessive Ohilly. I would be doing the same thing. The image we had of ourselves pre-cancer is still in our minds and post cancer we are still trying to go back to that image. You fret about your hair and I fret about my weight. I look in the mirror and am disgusted with myself and these things affect our self esteem. I understand exactly how your feel and many times have wished I could go back in time.
  • ohilly
    ohilly Member Posts: 441
    Options

Ohilly: You posted that you
    Ohilly: You posted that you had made an appt with the dermatologist. Have you gone yet? Hugs, Lili

PS> Just found the post that says you are going on the 20th. Can you comb your hair differently to hide that bald spot until you get to the dr? And you're not obsessive Ohilly. I would be doing the same thing. The image we had of ourselves pre-cancer is still in our minds and post cancer we are still trying to go back to that image. You fret about your hair and I fret about my weight. I look in the mirror and am disgusted with myself and these things affect our self esteem. I understand exactly how your feel and many times have wished I could go back in time.

thank you, Lili
    Lili, I'm glad you can relate to how I feel. I wish someone who actually HAD a bald spot would reply and tell me how they dealt with it. I did take some proactive action today, though: first of all, I did try combing my hair differently to hide the spot and it looked better. Also, I called up a beauty salon that specializes in helping chemo patients and they agreed to look at my hair on Friday. So I will let you know what they say.

And now, please! Someone with an actual bald spot please reply!!!

Ohilly