Another post-op question

Options
VickiCO
VickiCO Member Posts: 917
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I am seeing the surgeon today, but wondered if anyone else has this problem. I feel like there is a large lump, or baseball, in my rectum. I cannot sit, or lie down with any comfort. I am awake most of the night now, as I roll over and 'hit' that spot. Ii is very uncomfortable and I am very tired! Is this temporary?

Vicki

Comments

• Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Options
    LOL.....
    Sorry, its really not funny but I now exactly what you are talking about except mine was a pair of socks that was sewn up into my rear I just know thats what happened. I will tell you everything I know from my experience....Right after surgery I did have a little swelling and fluid that needed to drain so there was slight drainage points left that eventually closed up but it would really make me sore until it pressurized enough to relieve itself, I actually thought I had peed in my drawers but it sure felt alot better when it drained. That happened twice then that was it for that but I still felt the pair of socks in my tail. It was the reason my recoup time took so long because of ther inability to sit down ...at all. I could usually stand for 3-4 hrs until I got so uncomfortable I had to lay back down, then one day in about 5 weeks I actually sat down and very gingerly but i did sit and it got easier from there on. My rear is still tender and I would hate to have someone kick me in the tail but besides that its gonna be ok. I can still squeeze my butt cheeks together and feel it. After my radiation treatments there was so much tissue destroyed that the surgeon had to take extra amounts to fold and suture together so it would hold so I assume that is where the feeling of fullness back there is coming from. It won't last forever......Hang in there hun we're on the downhill slide now.... :-)
  • VickiCO
    Options
    Thanks Buzzard...
    I saw the surgeon and he gave me the answer...I DO have something in there! He put in an expandable ring to hold together the stitches in the delicate tissue. He says it will come out on its own...eventually. Great - I can't sit for how long? But I find drugs help! LOL!

Later....Vicki
  • hollyberry
    hollyberry Member Posts: 173
    Options
    VickiCO said:

Thanks Buzzard...
    I saw the surgeon and he gave me the answer...I DO have something in there! He put in an expandable ring to hold together the stitches in the delicate tissue. He says it will come out on its own...eventually. Great - I can't sit for how long? But I find drugs help! LOL!

Later....Vicki

Love those little surprises, don't ya?
    I had a sack of fluid , like Buzzard, but they gave me a waffle cushion when I left the hospital and it really helped to rake the pressure off. Maybe you could ask your doc for one; there shaped like a slider patty and that distributes the weight better. I hope this helps.
    Glad you're home and all went well; you are always in my prayers. I hope you get some relief soon. Just keep in mind that everyday should get a little better and before you know it, the flowers will be blooming and you can get outside and enjoy some spring weather.
    Much love,
    Holly
  • Buzzard
    Options

Love those little surprises, don't ya?
    I had a sack of fluid , like Buzzard, but they gave me a waffle cushion when I left the hospital and it really helped to rake the pressure off. Maybe you could ask your doc for one; there shaped like a slider patty and that distributes the weight better. I hope this helps.
    Glad you're home and all went well; you are always in my prayers. I hope you get some relief soon. Just keep in mind that everyday should get a little better and before you know it, the flowers will be blooming and you can get outside and enjoy some spring weather.
    Much love,
    Holly

I tried cushions etc...
    I never found anything but time that took care of my rear end hurting. Even a hemarroid ring, nope don't work..but I did have mine sewn shut so that may be the difference......just time is all will take care of it...
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    VickiCO said:

Thanks Buzzard...

Later....Vicki

I found a horseshoe shaped pillow helped..
    It was my friend all the way thru rads, chemo, and post-surgery...

I put the open part to the back...under my tailbone...that way, I was sitting on everywhere but there...

Kathi
  • VickiCO
    Options
    KathiM said:

I put the open part to the back...under my tailbone...that way, I was sitting on everywhere but there...

Kathi

Oh My Gawd!
    Kathi is a genius!!! Of course, we knew that. I just had **** bring me my neck pillow - relief!

THANK YOU!!!

Vicki
  • Buzzard
    Options
    KathiM said:

Kathi

OK I see how we are now......LOL
    KathiM....where was ya when my rear was hurting......Just Kiddin !! I never thought about that, I just stood up all the time or laid down with a pillow under my lower back to hold up my hips. It was an ugly sight but whatever works...lol
  • KathiM
    Options
    Buzzard said:

OK I see how we are now......LOL
    KathiM....where was ya when my rear was hurting......Just Kiddin !! I never thought about that, I just stood up all the time or laid down with a pillow under my lower back to hold up my hips. It was an ugly sight but whatever works...lol

I was in The Netherlands...lol...freezing my rear!!!
    Sorry, I didn't think...that pillow was such a part of me for such a long time...

I'm really sorry...

Kathi
  • KathiM
    Options
    VickiCO said:

Oh My Gawd!
    Kathi is a genius!!! Of course, we knew that. I just had **** bring me my neck pillow - relief!

THANK YOU!!!

Vicki

I'm so glad...
    Mine came via a friend that suggested it after using one for her back surgery...

I'm glad it is working for you!

(I put it on the seat of my car while driving...still do sometimes...it made SUCH a difference!....My new car has heated seats...THAT is HEAVEN!!)

HUgs, Kathi
  • CherylHutch
    CherylHutch Member Posts: 1,375
    Options
    VickiCO said:

Oh My Gawd!

THANK YOU!!!

Vicki

I feel for all of you!
    I shudder at some of the stuff some of you have to endure! With my surgery, it was all done on my stomach... from the pubic bone up to the belly button (and just beyond). Now, the scar left behind is definitely not a pretty sight... on the other hand, I can't say I went through any of the problems you folk are describing.

Yikes... I sure hope it all heals up and gets better real soon!!!

Hugggggs,

Cheryl