New to group

Options
jiwink
jiwink Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My wife was diagnosed with stage 4 metastatic breast cancer in Oct.We are going to CTCA in Chicago for treatment.She just finished treatment #5. She does pretty good after we get back home but she's having trouble coping with it all.She is a very strong person,but with all the meds she has become overwhelmed.

Comments

• Aortus
    Aortus Member Posts: 967
    Options
    God bless you both, jiwink!
    I can well understand how your wife is having trouble coping with her diagnosis and her treatment. My beloved Moopy was diagnosed in November with stage 3a and had a mastectomy one week afterward; she's now one third of the way through her TAC chemo. Thank God her anti-nausea regimen is finally doing the job!

You will find here a wonderful sisterhood (and at least one brother, Bill) of breast cancer survivors who will be of great help whenever you and your wife need them. There are also a few of us caregivers who know what *you* are up against. Please take good care of yourself too, mentally and physically. And please also stop by often - to touch base, ask questions, vent, or just to say hello. There is help here.

Best,
    Joe
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    Hi JI, welcome to the club
    Hi JI, welcome to the club no one wants to join. LOL, but alas here we are a great group of people in all stages of treatment and beyond. You will find quite an insightful group here and great caring people. We have a few men who are also fighting the beast and wonderful caregivers like yourself who also post. I think a cancer diagnosis will overwhelm anyone, and don't forget we also suffer from chemo brain, which also makes us forgetful at times. But, you also need to take care of yourself. I hope that you take time to persue some hobby or interest that will help you relax and unwind. Keep us posted with your wife's progress and know that we are here to help out in any way we can. Hugs, Lili
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Options
    (((((HUGS))))) to you and your wife
    Hi Jiwink,

I am sorry this has come to you and your wife, since it has I am glad you found us. It simply is overwhelming to hear you have cancer, we have strong moments and weak moments. I hope you will come here often with any questions or concerns you and your wife may have as this is a very knowledgeable and supportive group of men and women. Please know that you and your wife are not alone, we are here for you both. Be kind to yourself and relax whenever you can as it is important that you take care of you as well as her.

My Best to you Both,

RE
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Overwhelmed....
    We all understand the "overwhelmed" part, that's for sure. Once you receive that dx, it seems that you give up control of your life to others.
    In my case, once the doctors started planning my treatment, and telling me all of the things that I needed to do to beat the beast, I went into panic mode! EVERYTHING became overwhelming to me! And I just knew that I couldn't do it! My brain went into meltdown...

But my family and my friends and the wonderful people on this board were here for me, every step of the way.
    My friends helped me to keep track of all of my appointments and gave me encouragement.
    My family got me to all of my appointments and helped me with all of my medications. Gave me the love and support that I needed.
    The caring folks here answered all of my questions and gave me the courage to go on.

With everyone's help and with God's hand on my shoulder, I have now, for the most part, finished treatment. Never thought I would get here, but I did! And you will too. Just hang in there and keep moving forward.

You will be in my thoughts and prayers...

CR
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Options
    jiwink
    Hello, i am so sorry the beast has struck in your home. Every post of someone new to this makes me angrier at this dreadful sneaky, unfair desease we have to face. That is one reason we were led to post on this board. We are a team all fighting against the enemy. There are so many caring, courageous, and supportive survivors, and caregivers here to answer our questions and concerns. We do not have to cry, vent or wonder all alone. We can even learn to laugh again!!
    I was dx in Nov. with stage 3a, had a masectomy Dec. 2nd, and am having my 3rd chemo treatment Wed. I have had alot of questions for these sweet sisters, and have recieved truly compassionate sincere answers for every single question. This is an amazingly kind and supportive group.
    Joe is one of our star care-givers and i'm sure he is happy to have other caregivers to relate with on this board. I know i have my husband read all the caregiver posts. Helps him also.
    How could your dear wife help but be overwhelmed!! There is so much to take in Emotionally and physically. It is just to much to cope with alone. So keep posting, and bless your heart for your devotion to her,
    How many more treatments does she have? How far is CTCA in Chicago from where you live?
    I will keep you both in my prayers.
    God Bless
    Jackie
  • peggy65
    peggy65 Member Posts: 100
    Options
    yes, this whole cancer thing
    yes, this whole cancer thing is overwhelming. especially when we either don't have symptoms or the symptoms are not causing us pain, etc. one day we think we are fine and the next day find that we have cancer. overwhelmed is an understatement. you probably are still feeling numb and we all send you our warm and loving thoughts today. it takes everything that you two have to get through. you will probably find things about your coping skills that you didn't even know that you had, because you have never had to face such a thing. by sticking together and knowing that you have support things will begin to ease a little bit. it is what it is and yes it is a huge challenge. love and good thoughts, peggy
  • jiwink
    jiwink Member Posts: 2
    Options
    rjjj said:

jiwink
    Hello, i am so sorry the beast has struck in your home. Every post of someone new to this makes me angrier at this dreadful sneaky, unfair desease we have to face. That is one reason we were led to post on this board. We are a team all fighting against the enemy. There are so many caring, courageous, and supportive survivors, and caregivers here to answer our questions and concerns. We do not have to cry, vent or wonder all alone. We can even learn to laugh again!!
    I was dx in Nov. with stage 3a, had a masectomy Dec. 2nd, and am having my 3rd chemo treatment Wed. I have had alot of questions for these sweet sisters, and have recieved truly compassionate sincere answers for every single question. This is an amazingly kind and supportive group.
    Joe is one of our star care-givers and i'm sure he is happy to have other caregivers to relate with on this board. I know i have my husband read all the caregiver posts. Helps him also.
    How could your dear wife help but be overwhelmed!! There is so much to take in Emotionally and physically. It is just to much to cope with alone. So keep posting, and bless your heart for your devotion to her,
    How many more treatments does she have? How far is CTCA in Chicago from where you live?
    I will keep you both in my prayers.
    God Bless
    Jackie

treatments
    they are not sure. She couldn't take the full dose of chemo,it made her to sick.We travel 438 miles one way to get her treatment,but the hospital is great. Her doctor says surgery is not an option at this time. Thank You for your support
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    CR1954 said:

Overwhelmed....
    We all understand the "overwhelmed" part, that's for sure. Once you receive that dx, it seems that you give up control of your life to others.
    In my case, once the doctors started planning my treatment, and telling me all of the things that I needed to do to beat the beast, I went into panic mode! EVERYTHING became overwhelming to me! And I just knew that I couldn't do it! My brain went into meltdown...

But my family and my friends and the wonderful people on this board were here for me, every step of the way.
    My friends helped me to keep track of all of my appointments and gave me encouragement.
    My family got me to all of my appointments and helped me with all of my medications. Gave me the love and support that I needed.
    The caring folks here answered all of my questions and gave me the courage to go on.

With everyone's help and with God's hand on my shoulder, I have now, for the most part, finished treatment. Never thought I would get here, but I did! And you will too. Just hang in there and keep moving forward.

You will be in my thoughts and prayers...

CR

Love your Maxine! Isn't she
    Love your Maxine! Isn't she great? I wonder what she would have to say about all this cancer stuff? LOL. Hugs, Lili
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Options
    jiwink said:

treatments
    they are not sure. She couldn't take the full dose of chemo,it made her to sick.We travel 438 miles one way to get her treatment,but the hospital is great. Her doctor says surgery is not an option at this time. Thank You for your support

I am sorry
    So sorry you are dealing with this. Cancer disrupts your life and body in so many ways. But know that one shining light is this support group. You can post any frustration here and someone, if not many of us, will have felt something similar. You say that chemo was toxic for your wife. How many treatments has she had? What is the next step for her? It must be difficult to travel so long to reach her hospital. If you have any questions, whether about treatment or emotional issues, we are here. In the beginning one doesn't even know what to ask the doctors. We can brainstorm with you and tell you about our experiences. The best to you and your wife.

Mimi