bald spots, cosmetic solutions

Options
ohilly
ohilly Member Posts: 441
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am still obsessing about my hair, BUT I am trying to think proactively. Have any of you had thin or bald spots on your hair that did not grow in in time, and what did you do about it? I am thinking that if the thin spots do not grow in, maybe hair weaving, hair integration, extensions or whatever they call them might be a solution. Has anyone tried this?

I know I am obsessing, but the thought that there might be something cosmetic I could do if the thin spots do not cover up in time makes me feel better.

Ohilly

Comments

• young_one
    young_one Member Posts: 67
    Options
    If you are going to do
    If you are going to do something non-surgical as a solution, be very careful what you do. Some procedures can damage hair. Anything with glue *will* damage your hair. If you are going to do extentions do your research on the various kinds. Of the people that I know that have done them, the ones with the tiny copper tubes seem to be the most sucessful and produce the least damage. They attach to the base of the hair shaft and allow your hair to grow through. I can post pics of a couple of survivor friends if you would like to see their results.

If hair will make you feel better, I say go for it. I know LOTS of women who did them and were thrilled with the results. Kind of like a shot of confidence. I hated not feeling like myself. If I could have done the extensions, I would have in a heartbeat. Location was the only thing that stopped me.
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    be careful
    I agree, if it makes you feel good and you can, do it! Just be careful and try to find a hairstylist who is experienced with cancer survivors. Chemo does have an effect on the hair that can take a few weeks to wear off. I did not research much into that. When mine came in uneven, I just kept wearing hats till it got long enough to use clippers and gave myself a burr, then it all grew out together. To each her own, though, so you do what you can live with.

Best wishes, seof
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Options
    question?
    Sorry i have no answers for you justa question for everyone like how long after chemo does it usually start to grow back in? or is it different for everyone?
    god Bless
    Jackie
  • mgm42
    mgm42 Member Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    rjjj said:

question?
    Sorry i have no answers for you justa question for everyone like how long after chemo does it usually start to grow back in? or is it different for everyone?
    god Bless
    Jackie

4 months for me...
    My last chemo was 4/19/08 and I starting going without a scarf in late August. I looked like I had a short buzz cut, but it was hair. Since then I've had 3 haircuts to shape my hair so that I have a curly pixie type cut. It's actually kind of cute and I'm going to keep it short. My bangs are growing back VERY slowly, but that's ok. It's the curls I can't get used to. As for color, I had salt and pepper and it came back with a bit more salt but still a lot of pepper. Hang in there. Good luck. Marilynn
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Options
    I understand.
    Hi Ohilly, I totally understand your concern about your hair. Hair is very important to us girls! I would think that the thin spots will fill in, in time though. Have you tried styling and or parting your hair in such a way that it covers the spots? Also have you asked your onc. about this? They see so many peoples' hair grow back in, perhaps he can reasure you.
    If I think of any other ideas I'll write. Take care, Eil
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Options
    Eil4186 said:

I understand.
    Hi Ohilly, I totally understand your concern about your hair. Hair is very important to us girls! I would think that the thin spots will fill in, in time though. Have you tried styling and or parting your hair in such a way that it covers the spots? Also have you asked your onc. about this? They see so many peoples' hair grow back in, perhaps he can reasure you.
    If I think of any other ideas I'll write. Take care, Eil

Eil
    I love your new pic!! That must be your own hair huh? It is just darling. You have such a pretty face..you would look good no-matter what but i just think it's cuter than heck!! Can't wait until i get hair back of any sort!!!!
    God Bless, hope everyone is having a good day
    Jackie
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Options
    rjjj said:

Eil
    I love your new pic!! That must be your own hair huh? It is just darling. You have such a pretty face..you would look good no-matter what but i just think it's cuter than heck!! Can't wait until i get hair back of any sort!!!!
    God Bless, hope everyone is having a good day
    Jackie

Hair
    I can't wait to get some kind of back hair back, too! I will be flaberggasted if it turns out curly as I had very straight hair before. It's sort of like emerging as a new person, isn't it?

Mimi
  • Barbie88
    Barbie88 Member Posts: 1 *
    Options

I had my last Chemo treatment Feb. 2021. My hair has several thin spots and it makes me look really bad. My hair grew back in my dark brown color and my scalp shows through in patches. Is there a chance the thin spots could grow back later?