biopsy and size of lump

Options
kmf0318
kmf0318 Member Posts: 11
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I was just told yesterday that I will need to have a biopsy on my right breast. The doctor made note that my lump is microscopic in size and can not be felt. Could this be good since it is so small that it won't be cancer. Aren't must cancerous lumps large and can be felt? I was told to wear a sports bra after the biopsy, did anyone else do that? Will the pain be that bad? I really appreciate anyones insight with this. Thank you

Comments

• EveningStar2
    EveningStar2 Member Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Everyone is different and every place does things a bit differently. My lesion was picked up on mammography--I could not feel it. It was microcalcifications. Unfortunately, it was ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) which isn't a bad kind of cancer but cancer nevertheless. The biopsy for me wasn't a problem. It was done like a mammogram but sitting in a chair, lidocaine was injected into the area and a machine popped the needle in and took the specimen-I think 3 time but I knew each time beforehand. I wasted a lot of anxiety before and it turned out to be no big deal *for me*. I know other people have had other experiences. Afterward I was a little tender to the touch but not bad and they gave me a cute little ice pack to use. They wanted to tape it to me but my skin doesn't like tape so I just but it in my bra, a regular one because I don't own a sports bra.

Good luck and please come back and let us know how it goes.

Maureen
  • kmf0318
    Options

Hi
    Everyone is different and every place does things a bit differently. My lesion was picked up on mammography--I could not feel it. It was microcalcifications. Unfortunately, it was ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) which isn't a bad kind of cancer but cancer nevertheless. The biopsy for me wasn't a problem. It was done like a mammogram but sitting in a chair, lidocaine was injected into the area and a machine popped the needle in and took the specimen-I think 3 time but I knew each time beforehand. I wasted a lot of anxiety before and it turned out to be no big deal *for me*. I know other people have had other experiences. Afterward I was a little tender to the touch but not bad and they gave me a cute little ice pack to use. They wanted to tape it to me but my skin doesn't like tape so I just but it in my bra, a regular one because I don't own a sports bra.

Good luck and please come back and let us know how it goes.

Maureen

thank you I feel better with
    thank you I feel better with that This place is the greatest everyone is so caring,It is so appreciated
  • Jadie
    Jadie Member Posts: 723
    Options
    biopsy
    Hi kmf

It is great that you found your lump when it was so small. I agree with Evening Star that everyone is different. My biopsy experience was very similar to hers and I didn't have a sports bra either.

As for the lump being felt it is according to where it is in the brest. Small lumps have been felt whereas some large lumps can't be felt.

Of course theres a chance that it isn't cancer. You wont know until the biopsy. The important thing is catching it early (which it sounds like you have, if it is) and getting the treatment you need.

Please come back and let us know how things turn out.

Hugs
    Jadie
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    lump too small to feel
    I don't know if they told you that most biopsies turn out to be benign (that means "not cancer"). That said, if it is cancer, catching it early gives you way more options. In my case, there was also no lump to feel but there was cancer that they discovered after a series of tests including a mammogram that found microcalcifications, a stereotactic biopsy that found atypical hyperplasia, and finally a lumpectomy and excisional biopsy that found the nasty beast. Thank goodness they were persistant and caught it so early! I was beside myself with panic, but looking back now I know I had it easy. I was lucky in a funny kind of way, because I had cancer, but it was caught so early that chemo was not recommended for me. I take a pill once a day as a preventative and keep all my dr. appointments. I pray yours turns out to be nothing, but rest assured that some of us are lucky enough to find cancer early before it can be felt.

C. Abbott
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    my experience
    My experience with the biopsy was no big deal. I went in with a lump like a boiled egg...I knew what it was already, but the Doc. wanted to be sure, and to know what type of cancer so Oncologist could plan treatment. The surgeon injected local anesthetic and I felt like someone was poking the area with a pencil eraser. I took Tylenol as soon as I left, but I wasn't sore at all, and I kept using my own bra.

Not all lesions are cancerous, and it is good to catch it early....treatments are usually less intense. It sounds like your Doctor is on the "better safe than sorry" camp, so I think you are in good hands.

Stay in touch. seof
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Options
    Any news?
    Just wanted to check in with you. Have you had the biopsy yet? Although a cancerous lump can be any size, the smaller it is, the better the chance that it was caught early. Also, my biopsy nurse told me that 80% of biopsies turn out benign. I had a core needle biopsy and didn't feel a thing, although I know this varies. I think I took a xanax (or a valium, can't remember) and two tylenol beforehand. You might want to ask your doctor what you can do to minimize pain and/or anxiety beforehand. Hope all went well.

Mimi
  • kmf0318
    Options
    mimivac said:

Any news?
    Just wanted to check in with you. Have you had the biopsy yet? Although a cancerous lump can be any size, the smaller it is, the better the chance that it was caught early. Also, my biopsy nurse told me that 80% of biopsies turn out benign. I had a core needle biopsy and didn't feel a thing, although I know this varies. I think I took a xanax (or a valium, can't remember) and two tylenol beforehand. You might want to ask your doctor what you can do to minimize pain and/or anxiety beforehand. Hope all went well.

Mimi

I just finally had the
    I just finally had the biopsy on Monday. I am just playing the waiting game now. The biopsy itself was not real bad. I am just a little bruised and swollen still. Thank you for writing I really appreciate it
  • sueinspringfield
    sueinspringfield Member Posts: 7
    Options
    kmf0318 said:

thank you I feel better with
    thank you I feel better with that This place is the greatest everyone is so caring,It is so appreciated

Just because you can't feel it doesn't mean it is to be ignored.
    Never felt my tumor either, was deep on the underside of my left breast. Thank goodness for my yearly mamogram. It was grade 3 and by the time surgery, 27 days after it was seen on the first mamogram, it was 1.9cm. But they got clean edges and no cancer cells in the lynphnodes. Keep positive! I agree this site is a big help!!!