do your own research before making a decision

Options
tommaseena
tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am new to this and I have found that doing your own research helps to come up with the right questions to ask your providers.

I was told that only a lumpectomy with lymph node biopsy is all that I needed but with DCIS with invasion that was not the option when I went for a second opinion.
Path report showed same and HER2+ meeting with medical oncologist 2/20/09.

I had routine mammogram on 11/10/08
Mag views on 11/17/08
Stereo static biopsy 12/3/08
breast cancer diagnosis 12/8/08

Second opinion in January.
Surgery on 2/2/09 discharged from hospital 2/4/09--double mastectomy with tissue expanders.
last pain meds 2/5/09 percocet 5 mg.

I am a strong woman and have support from wonderful people like you all.
Power of prayers--lots of them--help.

I also have a medical background and I think sometimes it scares some drs.
I found that when I saw the first dr on 12/1/08 and what he was telling me that I needed a lumpectomy with lymph node biopsy I had to do research myself and the second dr was wonderful and the ps as well--both women. I don't know if women drs are the correct people to see but in my case it was the best.

I will keep coming back to this site for answers and post my experiences as well.

It is wonderful that there is a place where people can share.

My prayers are with you all.

Margo

Comments

• Aortus
    Aortus Member Posts: 967
    Options
    Second opinions are crucial
    Our oncologist here in Springfield, Dr. Nair, recommended that Moopy receive AC with participation in the Avastin trial. Our oncologist in St. Louis, Dr. Horn, who is affiliated with Barnes-Jewish, recommended TAC. We went with Dr. Horn's opinion to go with TAC not because we were dissatisfied with Dr. Nair: on the contrary, he is obviously a well-trained and highly compassionate physician. But Dr. Horn has been in practice much longer, and is affiliated with an NCI hospital. We were able to assure Dr. Nair that our decision reflected no lack of confidence in him, and he has been wonderful in working with Dr. Horn. As has his staff at St. John's Cancer Center.

Honestly, we feel we have the best of both worlds: an NCI standard of care just 2.8 miles away from our home. But it never would have happened if Moopy had not stated at our very first meeting with the surgeon that she wanted to pursue a second opinion about the chemo. The surgeon, Dr. Ashley, went out of his way to facilitate the process. Dr. Nair was not exactly thrilled that we went with the second opinion and told us as much, but we took this as an indication that he takes his work very seriously. In fact, it made us respect Dr. Nair even more highly: he would go along with Dr. Horn, but that was not to say he was going to roll over. We look forward to working with him for many years to come. But all the same, when Moop is finished with her chemo, we will be making another appointment with Dr. Horn. Two top brains are better than one.

And may God bless you as you begin your journey, Margo. My baby sister is a pharmacist and I know for a fact that she has all the doctors in her little town terrified!

Joe
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    I had to get a second
    I had to get a second opinion because my primary care doctor sent me to a surgeon in their network who turned out to have no experience in breast surgery and had just opened the practice a year before. When I checked background I knew I'd be seeing someone else but this surgeon also admitted to me that I should see someone else and gave me referrals. It wasn't till I saw the second guy that I realized the biopsies were done wrong and had to be redone. The first surgeon had a great bedside manner but the second one didn't and didn't like to be questioned. I read an article about that also. You shouldn't choose by their bedside manner but should look at experience. So I asked questions to the oncologist who was better at answering me.
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    Marcia527 said:

I had to get a second
    I had to get a second opinion because my primary care doctor sent me to a surgeon in their network who turned out to have no experience in breast surgery and had just opened the practice a year before. When I checked background I knew I'd be seeing someone else but this surgeon also admitted to me that I should see someone else and gave me referrals. It wasn't till I saw the second guy that I realized the biopsies were done wrong and had to be redone. The first surgeon had a great bedside manner but the second one didn't and didn't like to be questioned. I read an article about that also. You shouldn't choose by their bedside manner but should look at experience. So I asked questions to the oncologist who was better at answering me.

second opinions
    The first surgeon I saw was a general surgeon and the second general surgeon I saw was a surgeon in a breast cancer center where that is what she specialized in breasts. I couldn't bring myself to have the first surgeon do my surgery since he wanted to do a lumpectomy and really was not listening to my needs and wants.

I made the right decision in my case. Did I want someone who did gallbladder surgery one day, breast another and then appendix another or did I want someone who specialized in breast surgery only--breast surgery only was my answer.

Margo
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I agree with you all
    I agree with what you have all said. I think it is important to do your own research...into your diagnosis, the procedures the Drs. are suggesting, and the Drs. themselves. It is also important to have a Dr. you can communicate with whom you respect and who respects you. That is a tall order and a lot to deal with. In my case I had not needed Drs. very much before cancer dx, so I didn't worry much who I went to, just someone competent for the regular checkups and the occasional respiratory infection, etc. I was fortunate to find an team I have been able to work with for the year and a half of my cancer journey so far.

Thanks to all of you on this site who have shared your lives with me and helped me along.

seof