Question about swollen lymph nodes in neck

Options
mk1117
mk1117 Member Posts: 46
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hello all! It's been awhile since I've been here. I've been searching on the internet for information and you guys, in my opinion, have the best input on the internet regarding colon cancer. I have a question: I am 4 1/2 years out from a cc diagnosis. It was Stage 3, with 14 of 17 lymph nodes positive. I went through 6 months of chemo after surgery, and have progressed well. I've recently discovered some swollen lymph nodes that are slightly painful just below my right ear. There isn't drastic swelling - no one else would notice by just looking at me. I haven't been sick with a cold or sinus/ear infection. I'm trying not to overreact, but of course I'm worried that the cancer has spread to the lymph nodes in my neck. I last saw my oncologist in Nov. and everything was fine. I'm not scheduled to see him again until late May.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

Thanks so much.

Emma

Comments

• CherylHutch
    CherylHutch Member Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Swollen Lymph Nodes
    Hey Emma... it's nice to see you posting again!

More than likely, it is nothing... but you will probably be on pins and needles and stressing yourself out if you wait until May. Would you feel better if you made an appt. with your family doctor and voiced your concerns... then he/she could tell you there's nothing to worry about or maybe run a test or two to ease your mind? If he/she doesn't know, then maybe see if you can get in to see your onc sooner rather than wait and fret until May?

Huggggs,

Cheryl
  • jsabol
    jsabol Member Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    swollen nodes
    Hi Emma, Just to be on the safe side and reassure yourself, I would speak to your onc's office, and not wait til May. Best of luck, Judy
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    swollen glands
    I'm with Cheryl, I would go to my family practice doctor and have him check it out. He will do some tests and possibly refer you to your onc. No way would I wait until May, you'll be a basket case by then! ;)
    mary
  • tiny one
    tiny one Member Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    peace of mind
    For your piece of mind go sooner. Waiting till May is going to be to stressful on you. I am a worrier and get myself all worked up. We're all saying prayers for you. Most likely it's not cancer. God bless, we're all here for you!
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Options
    tiny one said:

peace of mind
    For your piece of mind go sooner. Waiting till May is going to be to stressful on you. I am a worrier and get myself all worked up. We're all saying prayers for you. Most likely it's not cancer. God bless, we're all here for you!

swollen nodes
    I had them swell on each side of my neck ...one on one side then it seemed as if it swapped to the other side in about a 2 week period then it settled in my chest ..One heck of a cold...all is ok now but yeah it did worry me a bit..
  • ldot123
    ldot123 Member Posts: 272
    Options
    Buzzard said:

swollen nodes
    I had them swell on each side of my neck ...one on one side then it seemed as if it swapped to the other side in about a 2 week period then it settled in my chest ..One heck of a cold...all is ok now but yeah it did worry me a bit..

Nodes
    Hi there,

I believe if you are ever concerned about anything, that you contact either your GP or oncologist. I am no doctor but I think it could be just an infection of some sort as I had read somewhere that cancerous nodes are usually painless, but again- call the doctor(s) they are the ones who know best.

Cheers, Lance
  • mk1117
    mk1117 Member Posts: 46
    Options
    ldot123 said:

Nodes
    Hi there,

I believe if you are ever concerned about anything, that you contact either your GP or oncologist. I am no doctor but I think it could be just an infection of some sort as I had read somewhere that cancerous nodes are usually painless, but again- call the doctor(s) they are the ones who know best.

Cheers, Lance

Thanks!
    Thanks to everyone who replied! After a sleepless night, I called my onc today - who said it was probably not related to my cancer at all, but to check it out with my family doctor. Like I said - you guys are always right on target and know what to say to relieve my worries. Now - I just need to get through my colonoscopy on Friday, and I'll go to my GP about the nodes after that.

Take care!

Emma