question about port just put in

Options
irene77
irene77 Member Posts: 28
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Had port put in today. It is sore hurts to move my neck is this normal? get chemo tomorrow scared do not know how my body will react to it. I am stage 3t. will be going through chemo for 6 months every two weeks, that seems so long. Wish I can talk the doctor into a shorter time. Feel like I am to old to be going through all of this I am 69.
Would appreciate any responce to my question.
Irene

Comments

• This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • confused1
    confused1 Member Posts: 50
    Options
    About my port
    When I had mine put in it was sore. But I also didn't have to get chemo as soon as it was put in. So I can't help you there. Mine healed up real nice. They are a life saver on the old vein's. I get chemo every week and have since April 2008. So they would of ran out of veins along time ago on me. I never lost any of my hair either. So just hang in there. I will be thinking of you. Take Care Colleen
  • dorookie
    dorookie Member Posts: 1,731 Member
    Options
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

You sound like a PRO
    Gosh, it just seems like the other day that you were just coming in here, now your giving advise to other newbies, thats great! See how time flies! You go girl, before you know it you will be all done!!!

God Bless
    Beth
  • VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    Options
    Port access
    When I had my surgery last week (2/4), they changed me out to a new "Smart Port." They accessed it the next day for IV fluids and pain meds. It was sore, but worked fine. I am now home - it's one week later and my port site is still bruised and a little tender. Sometimes it just takes time.

You will do OK. I think I am too old also - 58 - and I did fine.

Hugs, Vicki
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Options
    sore port
    Hi Irene,

When I had my port put in my neck, chest, and shoulder on that side were sore for a couple of weeks. I mean so sore, it felt like I had been hit by a truck (not that I actually know what it feels like to be hit by a truck, but I can imagine!) I didn't have any chemo for about a week and a half after getting the port put in to allow for healing time- but it still would have worked if it had been sooner. Is yours on your left or your right side? They put mine on my left side & I couldn't put the shoulder belt of the driver's side seat belt over my port for the first 4 months or so- I had to put it under my armpit. Eventually, it grew less sensitive & wasn't a problem anymore. Don't worry it will heal- I was REALLY worried about the pain in my neck especially, like you complained about. It DID get better.
    Best wishes and God's blessings to you-
    Lisa
  • tiny one
    tiny one Member Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    pain in the neck
    It's normal for soreness when you move your neck, especially when they just put the port back in. This will get better each day. By day 3 I didn't have hardly any soreness. I had 6 months of chemo also, sometimes this is standard for that length of time. 69 isn't old at all. I saw a gentlemen receiving treatment who was in his 90's, but he looked like he was 60. Be strong and you will beat this. You're a survivor. The time will pass quickly. Don't forget to do things that you enjoy on you good days. I go to some good support groups also. Their so helpful. God bless