radiation question

Options
Kathleen808
Kathleen808 Member Posts: 2,342 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi,
Me again. I keep reading that FOLFOX with radiation is the traditional treatment. However, **** is not scheduled for radiation. Is that because it has spread to some lymph nodes but is not known to be on any organs? Does the radiation only take place if the cancer is on an organ and the organ has not been resectioned?
Thanks.
Kathleen

Comments

• Moesimo
    Moesimo Member Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    radiation is for rectal
    Radiation is usually for rectal cancer. It is not usually given for colon cancer.

Maureen
  • kimby
    kimby Member Posts: 797
    Options
    Radiation
    Kathleen,

It is my understanding that colon tumors are irradiated depending on location (usually very low in the colon or in the rectum) or size (to large to resect)where it is used to shrink the tumor prior to resection. Outside the colon, radiation is used to varying degrees and rarely is the preferred option. I am currently receiving radiation to my unresectable liver and systemic chemotherapy due to celiac lymphnode involvement.

HTH,

Kimby
  • dorookie
    dorookie Member Posts: 1,731 Member
    Options
    I had Radiation
    First I had surgery to remove the tumor in my colon, then my surgeon said that because he couldnt get good margins on both sides and because there were a few nodes involved I would have to have radiation with chemo. I started chemo did that for 3 months then had 28 treatments of radiation (I also took Xeloda while doing the radiation). I hope he doesnt have to have it, for me it was so horrible. The worst part of the whole thing was the radiation for me. Since the cancer came back in my right lung and the surgeon was able to get it and good margins, I was told I wouldnt have to have radiation. So that tells me it has something to do with the margins, just my observation.

God Bless
    Beth
  • Kathleen808
    Kathleen808 Member Posts: 2,342 Member
    Options
    thanks
    OK. Thanks, I get it. That makes sense. You are always so helpful.
    Aloha,
    Kathleen
  • VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    Options

thanks
    OK. Thanks, I get it. That makes sense. You are always so helpful.
    Aloha,
    Kathleen

Yep - radiation before surgery
    It's not often that you get radiation after surgery, unless the margins aren't clear. Tell **** to count his blessings! LOL! Radiation was the hardest part for me...

Vicki
  • polarprincess
    polarprincess Member Posts: 202
    Options
    VickiCO said:

Yep - radiation before surgery
    It's not often that you get radiation after surgery, unless the margins aren't clear. Tell **** to count his blessings! LOL! Radiation was the hardest part for me...

Vicki

radiation
    yep for rectal cancer only although mine was 15-20 cm from the rectsigmoid junction i was referred for it. It was an absolute hell and if i had the choice to do it again i would refuse it especially in my case since it was adjuvant in early cancer, and it has left me with serious long term side effects. Yes your hubby is very lucky he gets to avoid it.