Cancer Returns

Options
2»

Comments

• wan1135
    wan1135 Member Posts: 8
    Options

also
    Would you tell me the process that happened to show that this has developed. I know that I go in for blood test every 6 months, was it through a blood test or pain in the bones? Are you on arimidex or another hormone blocker and so forth. Angela

Breast Cancer Return response
    Sorry its taken me a minute to respond. I have been in the hospital. about a year ago I starting having pain in my hip. The doctors ran a bone scan but nothing showed. As the year progressed the pain went to my pelvis & started to radiate down my leg. My doctors ran several test. MRI, they thought it was my siatic nerve, etc. In January they decided to run another bone scan when the cancer showed its ugly head again in my pelvis bone & Hip bone. I was quite in denile and asked that they run more test. On Tuesday February 10th I had a CAT Scan in which they showed me the results immediatly. I saw the pelvis bone being eaten away by the cancer and they hip bone had some cancer as well. We dicided that another round of radiation was they way to go.

They very next day I was to see the radiologist. I was getting dress to go to that appointment sitting on the side of my bed when I heard and felt a snap that threw my back and I knew something was broke. When I got to the emergency room they discovered that the pelvis bone had cracked in two places.

I have since been released from the hospital unable to walk, using a hospital bed, walking, etc. I have had 5 treatments of radiation with a total of 10 to go (half way through...yeah).

Doctors are very optomistic that they can get the cancer under control and then we can start on the physical therapy to get me walking again.

I'm prayful I'm on my way to beating Mr Cancer once again
  • Aortus
    Aortus Member Posts: 967
    Options
    wan1135 said:

Sorry its taken me a minute to respond. I have been in the hospital. about a year ago I starting having pain in my hip. The doctors ran a bone scan but nothing showed. As the year progressed the pain went to my pelvis & started to radiate down my leg. My doctors ran several test. MRI, they thought it was my siatic nerve, etc. In January they decided to run another bone scan when the cancer showed its ugly head again in my pelvis bone & Hip bone. I was quite in denile and asked that they run more test. On Tuesday February 10th I had a CAT Scan in which they showed me the results immediatly. I saw the pelvis bone being eaten away by the cancer and they hip bone had some cancer as well. We dicided that another round of radiation was they way to go.

They very next day I was to see the radiologist. I was getting dress to go to that appointment sitting on the side of my bed when I heard and felt a snap that threw my back and I knew something was broke. When I got to the emergency room they discovered that the pelvis bone had cracked in two places.

I have since been released from the hospital unable to walk, using a hospital bed, walking, etc. I have had 5 treatments of radiation with a total of 10 to go (half way through...yeah).

Doctors are very optomistic that they can get the cancer under control and then we can start on the physical therapy to get me walking again.

So sorry to hear this!
    I'm so sorry to hear of your recurrence, but I am impressed with your positive attitude and your doctors' optimism. I am hoping and praying that they get your cancer under control and get you back up on your feet - as soon as possible!

Best,
    Joe
  • NorcalJ
    NorcalJ Member Posts: 187
    Options
    wan1135 said:

Bone mets
    So sorry to hear about the bone metasis. But it's good to hear that the Dr's are saying postive things.
    I do know that sometimes bone pain can be tough, but, suprisingly, the best thing for it is NSAIDS---Ibuprophen (Advil, Motrin). If you're having pain, ask if it's O.K. to take those. When you start using a walker and getting P.T., it might be a good thing to take something like that about 1/2 hour before the exercises.

Good luck with your progress, you KNOW we're all pulling for you and are here 24/7 for you.
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Options
    wan1135 said:

And i am praying too
    I wanted to write all sorts of ugly spiteful hateful stuff about this sneaky back-stabbing CA. but then i saw how strong and optimistic you are and your DR. and know that you are doing what you need to do and i became optimistic too. You are very inspiring and determined and i am sure you will be victorious. keep up that great optimistic attitude.
    God Bless you and your family
    Hugs
    Jackie
  • Jan_M
    Jan_M Member Posts: 116
    Options
    wan1135 said:

I too am not that far out,
    I too am not that far out, still doing chemo, but my prayers and best wishes go out to you.
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    Options

Isn't life a b****
    Isn't life a b**** sometimes? You think you have everything under control and then you get thrown a curve ball. I'm praying that everything comes out ok and that the lump is only a cyst. Please keep us posted. Love ya, Lili

Thank you
    Thank you for all being so concerned, I just hope I get a GOOD result really fast.........the waiting is the worst part innit?

Big Hugs to all Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry you are having to deal with a reoccurance. It is not uncommon for cancer to start setting up house in your bones. Bones are not really solid, though I think of them that way. When you see them under a microscope, they are more like calcified sponges with holes all over the place. As we age, those holes can get bigger (osteoporosis). You may have heard of fosamax or boniva or other drugs that act as "bone builders". Sometimes they work to stop the bone from disolving so much and sometimes they actually help to build on more bone. Either way, they often help to make the bones stronger. One treatment for cancer that is likely (or maybe already has) set up camp in your bones is to use these treatments to reduce the area that the cancer can grow and strengthen the bone that is left so it is less likely to break. Usually IV meds are used in cases of aggressive cancers, but that depends on what your doctor thinks is best for you.

Today I read of another treatment for bone mets. It was mainly about new ways to use radioactive substances embedded in bone cement to kill the cancer when it jumps to the bones in your spine. But I wonder if it would not also work in other bones. Here is the shortcut to the article: http://www.ors.org/web/documents/2009ORSPoster1827ReleaseV2 (2).doc. (Paste the shortcut in your address box). The use of radiation therapy is very common too for mets to various bones. The beams are targetted to the spot where the cancer is growing and the radiation kills the fast growing cancer cells. That gives relief from the pain that the tumors cause.

Again, I am sorry that you have to deal with this nasty beast again. I am thinking of you and hope that the doctors can give you some relief soon.

C. Abbott