Starting Chemo Tomorrow!

Comments

• daydreamer110761
    daydreamer110761 Member Posts: 487 Member
    Shayenne said:

Hey!! I DIDZ IT!!!!!!
    What wonderful advice you all gave me!! I took them all to my heart, and brought books, my favorite pillow and blanket, I did cry when I got to the dr's, and told her "I was so gonna kick this cancer's a@#!!!! and she just laughed at me and said "Now that's what I want to hear!!!"

I was taken to the 11th floor (and yes I do drive the 2 hours back and forth to the James in Columbus because I trust them and like them very much there), and that's when I lost it.. they called my name to go in, I got a private room that had a bed in it, tv, computer, a few chairs for your loved ones, and the nurses were all so wonderful. I was mainly afraid of having my port accessed for the first time, and glad I did glob on that cream, I didn't even feel the poke of the needle, she did it so gently! she then also gave me some Zofron? and Decadron for the nausea, and ativan to calm me down.

Then came the Avastin, and then the FOLFIRI, I even ate! they had menu, and crackers, cookies, hot coffee, tea, whatever you needed! I thought I would throw it all up, but was too hungry to wait and eat, I'm still waiting to eat, having had any nausea yet, and have my fanny pack buddy home with me till the nurse comes to my house and disconnects me on Friday, then I go back for Round #2 on Feb 25!

I can't believe how horrified I was to do this, and now believe I can do this, I was such a baby, and really everyone, you were all right, that I worked this up to be nothing! thank you for all your prayers, I am just going to wait on the side effects now, I am sure I'll have some, I had some lasagna when I got home, and ate well so far, so we'll see if I have an appetite in the next coming days!

Thanks you beautiful, wonderful people!

Hugggssss!
    ~~Donna

so happy for you
    that it went well. not to scare you - because mostly it is nothing (my frame of mind) but an annoyance! I cant imagine having to drive 2 hours to get to it - more of an annoyance! I was the one who wanted to make a 30 minute rush hour trip into a roll out of bed 5 second trip down the street - DON'T DO IT!! I learned the cancer center people know more what they are doing than the hospital with the new infusion center down the street just for convenience! The side effects weren't so bad the first time, however as time goes on, they seemed to last longer and be a bit more annoying. Also as I said before, my doc said I am in the 1% that has had a bit of everything, but nothing to a bad degree.

Again - glad it went well for you - see, it's not so bad.....

**hugs**

Sherrie
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Shayenne said:

Hey!! I DIDZ IT!!!!!!
    What wonderful advice you all gave me!! I took them all to my heart, and brought books, my favorite pillow and blanket, I did cry when I got to the dr's, and told her "I was so gonna kick this cancer's a@#!!!! and she just laughed at me and said "Now that's what I want to hear!!!"

I was taken to the 11th floor (and yes I do drive the 2 hours back and forth to the James in Columbus because I trust them and like them very much there), and that's when I lost it.. they called my name to go in, I got a private room that had a bed in it, tv, computer, a few chairs for your loved ones, and the nurses were all so wonderful. I was mainly afraid of having my port accessed for the first time, and glad I did glob on that cream, I didn't even feel the poke of the needle, she did it so gently! she then also gave me some Zofron? and Decadron for the nausea, and ativan to calm me down.

Then came the Avastin, and then the FOLFIRI, I even ate! they had menu, and crackers, cookies, hot coffee, tea, whatever you needed! I thought I would throw it all up, but was too hungry to wait and eat, I'm still waiting to eat, having had any nausea yet, and have my fanny pack buddy home with me till the nurse comes to my house and disconnects me on Friday, then I go back for Round #2 on Feb 25!

I can't believe how horrified I was to do this, and now believe I can do this, I was such a baby, and really everyone, you were all right, that I worked this up to be nothing! thank you for all your prayers, I am just going to wait on the side effects now, I am sure I'll have some, I had some lasagna when I got home, and ate well so far, so we'll see if I have an appetite in the next coming days!

Hugggssss!
    ~~Donna

good job!
    Hi Donna,
    I'm so glad to hear you came through it okay! I'm also jealous you got a nicer room/setup than I have! My "chemo room" is filled with about 16 chairs and you pick a chair when you come in. Sometimes all the others are full & sometimes not. The nurses are wonderful there, though. You can do this, and Yes you're going to kick cancer's ****!!!

Lisa
  • 3dogsmom
    3dogsmom Member Posts: 8
    Shayenne said:

Hey!! I DIDZ IT!!!!!!

Hugggssss!
    ~~Donna

Hi Donna! I stayed up pretty
    Hi Donna! I stayed up pretty late last night reading all about you and the many words of encouragement. I know this sounds silly, especially since I didnt post any comments in the past, but like reading a good book, I feel I know and can relate to you, the main character. Anyway, I want you to know that I'm really proud of you! Of course, chemo is terrifying! I too had a 5 day round of chemo. My oncologist hospitalized me for my first round because he thought I would become very ill. He wanted to monitor me closely for dehydration and other side effects. (I am very thin and had already lost 8 lbs from stress) Any how, I was fine and never had a problem with either round.

I was asked by a friend to record my story/journey. I really had a difficult time doing it and instead provided her with a top ten list, David Letterman style. I want to share it with you. Later, I'll give you my list of what not to say to a person going through cancer treatments. A sense of humor is needed for that one.

I'm praying for you! Leann

10. If you know someone with cancer, don’t avoid them. Sending a card, e-mail or occasional text message means more than you know, even if it goes unanswered. It’s comforting to know that people care and are thinking of you.

9. Allow friends and family to help with meals, errands, cleaning the house, etc. This is your gift to them. They love and support you and feel compelled to help in any way they can. You are not alone….remember, this is their fight as well.

8. Cancer is a very personal experience and there is justification for everything you’re feeling, whether you understand it or not.

7. Don’t think of cancer in terms of “stages”…..it’s too overwhelming. Just focus on the fight and give it all you’ve got.

6. Beware of doing too much research as it can be very scary. Researchers report on case studies and statistics and do not take li festyles into consideration.

5. Try to stay positive and keep your sense of humor. Laughter really is great medicine.

4. Your hair will grow back. In the meantime, savor the feeling of a hot shower on your bald head…..there is nothing like it and you will miss it when it’s gone.

3. You will find strength and courage in faith, family and friends.

2. Cancer is not synonymous with death, repeat it and believe it.

1. Cancer is a journey. Recognize the blessings that lay in your path.
  • Kathleen808
    Kathleen808 Member Posts: 2,342 Member
    glad it went well
    Hi Donna,
    I thought of you and prayed for you a lot today. Glad that it went well. You are strong, you will win!
    Aloha,
    Kathleen
  • CherylHutch
    CherylHutch Member Posts: 1,375
    You go, girl!
    Awwwww... sorry, Donna! I missed this thread earlier... and now, you are probably sound asleep and will be on your way before you get to read the newest notes.

Sooooo... when you come back you will see that it's not nearly as bad as your imagination will have made it out to be on the long drive there. If anything, you are going to come home tired... but that is going to be because you drove 2 hours to get there, sat in the chair for 5 hours and then 2 hours back home. That's a nine hour day, so no matter what you would be doing for 9 hours straight, you are going to be tired.

And let's hope that that's exactly how the chemo treatments go for you... that the worst part of it is how tired you are because of the 9 hours it takes you to go and get your treatment and get home. When you get home, have some yummy comfort food! Heck, you might want to think of that in the future... to have your favourite comfort food already prepared and ready to pop into the oven when you get home... even if it's just a small, light meal. Comfort food in your own home will be wonderful medicine :)

Huggggggs,

Cheryl
  • tiny one
    tiny one Member Posts: 465 Member
    Shayenne said:

Hey!! I DIDZ IT!!!!!!

Hugggssss!
    ~~Donna

chemo
    The nurses where I received chemo were very fast in accessing the port. Sometimes when you get stuck you'll get a little rush. It's kinda of like a light headed feeling. It was pretty neat. With the cream sometimes you don't even feel the stick. Everyone reacts to their treatments differently. I had very few side effects, hopefully you won't have many either. I used to call the fanny pack my Bad Buddy. It seemed like it would get in the way. I used to push mow and even painted rooms with the darn thing on. You are not a big baby. You're very brave. You may want to keep a journal of all this. I did and look back every so often to see how I was feeling. It's a good way to vent and you can keep track of how you're feeling. My second course of chemo was oxiplatin. I was one who tolerated this bad boy very well. Check out support groups, they are really helpful with questions that you may have and the people there know exactly what you're going thru. Sending lots of love and prayers to you. Stay strong and God bless.
  • VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    Shayenne said:

Hey!! I DIDZ IT!!!!!!

Hugggssss!
    ~~Donna

Good for you!
    Glad you are felling better about this. There will no doubt be side effects, but now you know you can deal with it! I am proud of you.

Vicki
  • betina61
    betina61 Member Posts: 642 Member
    2 days late to answer
    sorry Donna I'm 2 days late to answer you so your first chemo day was yerterday, I'm sure everything went fine, let us know.
  • CherylHutch

You go, girl!
    Awwwww... sorry, Donna! I missed this thread earlier... and now, you are probably sound asleep and will be on your way before you get to read the newest notes.

Sooooo... when you come back you will see that it's not nearly as bad as your imagination will have made it out to be on the long drive there. If anything, you are going to come home tired... but that is going to be because you drove 2 hours to get there, sat in the chair for 5 hours and then 2 hours back home. That's a nine hour day, so no matter what you would be doing for 9 hours straight, you are going to be tired.

And let's hope that that's exactly how the chemo treatments go for you... that the worst part of it is how tired you are because of the 9 hours it takes you to go and get your treatment and get home. When you get home, have some yummy comfort food! Heck, you might want to think of that in the future... to have your favourite comfort food already prepared and ready to pop into the oven when you get home... even if it's just a small, light meal. Comfort food in your own home will be wonderful medicine :)

Huggggggs,

Cheryl

Late
    Oh Geez, not only am I late in responding, it wasn't today that is your first day but it's already done and over with! I swear there is something crazy going on with my computer since I posted the above last night and it only showed up this morning. Not only that... I changed my picture last night but it still hasn't changed. That one I don't understand... whenever I change my avatar picture here on the support forum it takes at least 24 hours to display the new one. I just assumed that it is a computerized system but maybe someone is actually having to approve each change a member makes to their profile??

Anywho... you are doing just fine and I'm sooooo glad the "terror" of that first visit is over for you and you can see for yourself that your imagination (as is all of ours) is a lot more scary that reality :) Also, I agree with an above post that said the side affects may get more annoying and of longer duration as time goes on BUT the good news is you will be over the terror and each treatment is one more close to the end that you'll find you adapt and don't really notice it being any different other than you'll be excited that you are getting close to the end of treatments. Of course, you may laugh now, but once the treatments are finished, there's this psychological adjustment period where you will be bummed out that they are over! But trust me... THAT will pass :)

Huggggs,

Cheryl
  • CherylHutch
    3dogsmom said:

Hi Donna! I stayed up pretty
    Hi Donna! I stayed up pretty late last night reading all about you and the many words of encouragement. I know this sounds silly, especially since I didnt post any comments in the past, but like reading a good book, I feel I know and can relate to you, the main character. Anyway, I want you to know that I'm really proud of you! Of course, chemo is terrifying! I too had a 5 day round of chemo. My oncologist hospitalized me for my first round because he thought I would become very ill. He wanted to monitor me closely for dehydration and other side effects. (I am very thin and had already lost 8 lbs from stress) Any how, I was fine and never had a problem with either round.

I was asked by a friend to record my story/journey. I really had a difficult time doing it and instead provided her with a top ten list, David Letterman style. I want to share it with you. Later, I'll give you my list of what not to say to a person going through cancer treatments. A sense of humor is needed for that one.

I'm praying for you! Leann

10. If you know someone with cancer, don’t avoid them. Sending a card, e-mail or occasional text message means more than you know, even if it goes unanswered. It’s comforting to know that people care and are thinking of you.

9. Allow friends and family to help with meals, errands, cleaning the house, etc. This is your gift to them. They love and support you and feel compelled to help in any way they can. You are not alone….remember, this is their fight as well.

8. Cancer is a very personal experience and there is justification for everything you’re feeling, whether you understand it or not.

7. Don’t think of cancer in terms of “stages”…..it’s too overwhelming. Just focus on the fight and give it all you’ve got.

6. Beware of doing too much research as it can be very scary. Researchers report on case studies and statistics and do not take li festyles into consideration.

5. Try to stay positive and keep your sense of humor. Laughter really is great medicine.

4. Your hair will grow back. In the meantime, savor the feeling of a hot shower on your bald head…..there is nothing like it and you will miss it when it’s gone.

3. You will find strength and courage in faith, family and friends.

2. Cancer is not synonymous with death, repeat it and believe it.

1. Cancer is a journey. Recognize the blessings that lay in your path.

3DogsMom...
    I LOVE your list of 10 instead of a journal/diary. Every single one of those statements is sooooo true, so it's great to see them all in writing in one spot. What an excellent list... and one that would be great to do up a little handout card so that you can actually hand them out to family/friends who seem nervous about not knowing what to say to you when they hear you are going through a rough time or treatments!

Hugggggs,

Cheryl
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342

Late
    Oh Geez, not only am I late in responding, it wasn't today that is your first day but it's already done and over with! I swear there is something crazy going on with my computer since I posted the above last night and it only showed up this morning. Not only that... I changed my picture last night but it still hasn't changed. That one I don't understand... whenever I change my avatar picture here on the support forum it takes at least 24 hours to display the new one. I just assumed that it is a computerized system but maybe someone is actually having to approve each change a member makes to their profile??

Anywho... you are doing just fine and I'm sooooo glad the "terror" of that first visit is over for you and you can see for yourself that your imagination (as is all of ours) is a lot more scary that reality :) Also, I agree with an above post that said the side affects may get more annoying and of longer duration as time goes on BUT the good news is you will be over the terror and each treatment is one more close to the end that you'll find you adapt and don't really notice it being any different other than you'll be excited that you are getting close to the end of treatments. Of course, you may laugh now, but once the treatments are finished, there's this psychological adjustment period where you will be bummed out that they are over! But trust me... THAT will pass :)

Huggggs,

Cheryl

Hey There!
    I come on and see these 2 separate posts of yours Cheryl and had to laugh! I thought I was reading it backwards or something lol!

Yes, it went ok, I"m not going to say this is a ball of fun, that's for sure, and I think the nurse said once the nurse comes to take my fanny pack tomorow, that's when I may end up feeling the queasiness and all, and is that what happens?? the more you go for treatments, the more worse it gets? The nurse said at the first twinge of any kind of nausea take the pills, no matter what, and also the "chemo diarrhea" once it hits, I may need to take like 12 Immodium ID's! since it won't be the normal diarrhea, but chemo diarrhes, I am getting alittle queasy here and there, but am taking the pills.

I love your pic you have on now as your avatar, you just look like such a beautiful, fun-loving, sweet person! I'm not sure how long the pics do take to change, I didn't know they took abit.

I'm so looking forward for the nurse to get the fanny pack though, I find this abit annoying definitely, but I just hope it doesn't get worse as the treatments go on.

Thanks to all for these comments, they really did help me!

Hugsss!
    ~Donna
  • CherylHutch
    Shayenne said:

Hey There!
    I come on and see these 2 separate posts of yours Cheryl and had to laugh! I thought I was reading it backwards or something lol!

Yes, it went ok, I"m not going to say this is a ball of fun, that's for sure, and I think the nurse said once the nurse comes to take my fanny pack tomorow, that's when I may end up feeling the queasiness and all, and is that what happens?? the more you go for treatments, the more worse it gets? The nurse said at the first twinge of any kind of nausea take the pills, no matter what, and also the "chemo diarrhea" once it hits, I may need to take like 12 Immodium ID's! since it won't be the normal diarrhea, but chemo diarrhes, I am getting alittle queasy here and there, but am taking the pills.

I love your pic you have on now as your avatar, you just look like such a beautiful, fun-loving, sweet person! I'm not sure how long the pics do take to change, I didn't know they took abit.

I'm so looking forward for the nurse to get the fanny pack though, I find this abit annoying definitely, but I just hope it doesn't get worse as the treatments go on.

Hugsss!
    ~Donna

Home Care Nurse
    Oooooh, I hear you on looking so forward to the nurse coming to unhook you! Even though it's just a couple of days, the annoyance of carting that little baby bottle-like bottle around really drove me nutz. I was thrilled when the nurse arrived... and those home care nurses are angels! Hahaha... I wore my chemo bottle on a belt. It fit nicely in one of those water bottle holders that joggers or runners use, that slip on to a belt... but still, it was a total pain since I only owned ONE belt... and it was this silly multi-striped fabric belt that went with absolutely nothing I owned!! (I have since gone out and bought a plain black belt should I ever need to go through this again!) :) It was NOT a good fashion statement, let me tell you :)

Hmmm... now, again, everyone is different, but I didn't find I had a problem with chemo diarrhea. There were a couple of times that I had a bout of it, but then diarrhea was not normal for me at the best of times so I have no idea if this was really bad or just a normal bout. For me, when it happened, I took 2 Immodium and if that didn't curb it, I took 2 more. I think the most I took were 6 over the course of about 4 hours and that did the trick.

Nausea... I would get a little queasy here and there, but no particular pattern (on chemo or after the pump came off). In all fairness, I had more nausea and actual vomiting pre-diagnosis when I was in pain but no one knew what was wrong. For no reason (or none that I knew about at the time) I would up and have to vomit. I didn't feel sick, didn't have a temp., just a "excuse me... be right back" and that was it. Once I started chemo, I would have a few "oh oh, I think I feel queasy" but the anti-nausea pills never did anything for me so I gave up on them and used a puff or two of natural products and one puff took away any queasiness.

So, just like this first chemo adventure didn't turn out to be as bad as you thought it was going to be, keep that attitude regarding the possible side affects you might have. Yes, the affects can be accumulative BUT I was told that whatever you experience on your first and/or second treatment, that is what you can probably expect for the others. In my case, I was lucky and had very few side affects... and if I did, then I certainly don't remember them now, which means they didn't have a lot of impact on me. My worst that I can remember is that darn sensitivity to the cold, as well as the neuropathy in my feet/hands. I also have gotten leg pain but that has come after the treatments, so we still are not sure what is causing that.

So, you are right... chemo is not a ball of fun and certainly not a recommendation for a recreational drug ... but it's also not as scary as it was 10-15 years ago, for the majority of us. There still are some who have a really bad time of it, or a combination of radiation/chemo... and my heart goes out to these people.

Huggggs,

Cheryl
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member

Late

Huggggs,

Cheryl

a thought
    I thought my avatar wasn't getting updated until somebody would comment on my new picture. Turns out my browser, Firefox, wasn't updating the page information so when I submit a new photo I hold down the CTRL key and click the refresh button and I see the new picture. Perhaps it's really your browser that's suspect? I know the website doesn't have a delay in posting them cause I post new pictures all the time :)
    mary
  • CherylHutch
    msccolon said:

a thought
    I thought my avatar wasn't getting updated until somebody would comment on my new picture. Turns out my browser, Firefox, wasn't updating the page information so when I submit a new photo I hold down the CTRL key and click the refresh button and I see the new picture. Perhaps it's really your browser that's suspect? I know the website doesn't have a delay in posting them cause I post new pictures all the time :)
    mary

That worked!
    Well, how about that... I emptied the cache in my Firefox preferences and voila... the picture is now there :)

Thanks, Mary!

Huggggggs,

Cheryl
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member

That worked!
    Well, how about that... I emptied the cache in my Firefox preferences and voila... the picture is now there :)

Thanks, Mary!

Huggggggs,

Cheryl

you're welcome!
    Ain't technology wonderful!
    mary
  • drmrgirl47
    drmrgirl47 Member Posts: 129
    Shayenne said:

Hey!! I DIDZ IT!!!!!!

Hugggssss!
    ~~Donna

YAY!!!
    Hi Donna,
    You did it!!! See, not as bad as you thought it would be. You said they gave you your own room with a bed, tv, computer and chairs; boy was that nice. My chemo office was awful. The waiting room was always crowded. Then you go in the chemo room. There were around 8 reclining chairs with patients in them. Family and friends had to wait in the waiting room. One tv. No food available, only what you bring in yourself. And to me, it smelled awful. I couldn't believe that Long Island had such a sh---y place to go for treatment. Thank God, I didn't have to sit there as my chemo consisted of a quick push into the vein and out I ran. I found it so depressing there and dreaded every single time I went. Some people were so very sick. I felt there should have been more privacy. I still hate going there as I have to go every 6 months for a CEA level check. The nurses were wonderful to me though and that helped alot. Anyway, enough of me whining. I am just so happy you got through the day and am praying you have an easy time with your treatments. Sounds like you have a good appetite. I never lost mine through all the chemo and radiation...hahaha My husband still doesn't know where I put it all....take care, Annette
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Shayenne said:

Hey There!

Hugsss!
    ~Donna

Chemo accumulation....
    I think over a period of time it keeps accumulating in your body but in order to erradicate any lingering critters it needs to stay as long as possible. As Mary stated to me in another post the Leucouvrin I take is to keep it in the system longer thus the reason I was sluggish longer. As usual the women are right again...LOL...But as you proceed in the journey it may get a little worse but know that with each treatment you are getting closer to being done and taking care of business.....Hang in there hun, your doing fine, you now know what to expect. 1 down 11 to go...........God Bless ya...
  • 3dogsmom
    3dogsmom Member Posts: 8

3DogsMom...
    I LOVE your list of 10 instead of a journal/diary. Every single one of those statements is sooooo true, so it's great to see them all in writing in one spot. What an excellent list... and one that would be great to do up a little handout card so that you can actually hand them out to family/friends who seem nervous about not knowing what to say to you when they hear you are going through a rough time or treatments!

Hugggggs,

Cheryl

Im glad you liked my top 10
    Im glad you liked my top 10 list. I was supposed to write my story for a cancer calendar that my friend is organizing. I didnt want to be in the calendar AT ALL, however she talked me into it. Great idea about printing out some cards. I may do that.
    Thanks!
    Leann
  • sheri22
    sheri22 Member Posts: 273
    Shayenne said:

Hey!! I DIDZ IT!!!!!!

Hugggssss!
    ~~Donna

dont wait on those side affects
    Donna Dont wait on those side affects I just had round 2 of chemo Monday took my buddy pack off Wed just a little tired and a little nauseaus woeked Thurs though took phenegren and kept working keep the phenegren handy and as far as appetite I think I eat too much now
    just listen to your body when you feel tired stop and rest my prayers are with you ,
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    betina61 said:

2 days late to answer
    sorry Donna I'm 2 days late to answer you so your first chemo day was yerterday, I'm sure everything went fine, let us know.

My 2nd Day....
    When I was home, the 2nd day with my fanny pack, on Thursday, I experienced some awful nausea, I couldn't sleep the whole night, and Friday morning, couldn't eat or drink a thing, it was scary.

When the nurse came by yesterday afternoon and unhooked me, I started feeling a little better, and had a popsicle. She told me to drink alot of fluids, to get the stuff out of my system, and said I may feel better in a day or 2. She was right, I felt alot better today, and actually ate a couple popsicles, and some soup and crackers. Man, it wiped me, and now I'm back to being scared of my 2nd treatment, gosh I hope it doesn't get worse, the anti-nausea pills didn't seem to be working at all, but I just kept taking them anyway. I didn't throw up since I had nothing to throw up, but the nausea is the worse feeling in the world! I was just able to now get on the computer since Wednesday, since I wasn't feeling well :(