bloody nose and becoming steril

Options
Julie 44
Julie 44 Member Posts: 476 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I am 45 years old and have stage 3 colon cancer with 9 lymph nodes involved. I am on my 7th treatment cycle. Just wondering if anyone has had a problem with nose bleeds when you blow your nose? It isn't alot but it is everytime I blow my nose......Also I don't want anymore children but read that chemo can make you steril. With no need for birth control and causes early menopause.Has anyone heard of this too???? Thanks Julie

Comments

• msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    bloody nose
    HERE!!!!!! Yes, you get in the habit of hiding the tissue so it doesn't freak everybody out! At times I would have to hold pressure at the top of my nose with kleenex inside the nostril to stop the bleeding, but it always stopped and I was no worse for wear! It was like the entire mucosal lining of the esophagus to the sinuses would slough off and it just wasn't very pretty! Using Simply Saline often through out the day helped a lot and I would coat a q-tip with neosporin plus pain relief when it got real bad. As far as menopause, I can't really help you with that one cause I had to have a total hysterectomy before I turned 46 when I had a recurrence on my right ovary. I do hear that it plays havoc with the cycle, but I have also heard that women have gotten pregnant after.
    mary
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Options
    nosebleeds and menopause
    HI,
    Are you taking Avastin? Avastin is what causes a lot of nosebleeds. It took awhile of being on it. I'm currently on it for the 2nd time. Both times, it was after about 4 months that I really started getting nosebleeds and would have to blow bloody chunks out (sorry for being so graphic) in the morning for about the first hour or so I'm awake.
    It can also cause you to bleed easily & hard to stop bleeding when you cut yourself- so be careful.

I went into menopause within two cycles of Folfox. I had my last period ever on the first day of my chemo. A year and a half later, I've not had another & I'm 42. Hormonal testing by my primary care Dr. after I finished chemo the first time confirmed that I'm in menopause. I have heard that in some women, periods can start up again after you're done w/ chemo. I was paranoid about getting pregnant during chemo, so we still used birth control (but not the Pill anymore, like I had been using). You should get hormone tested after you're done if you believe you're menopausal.

Take care!
    Lisa
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Options
    nose bleeds
    I have found that after taking Erbitux for many years (3 I think) I am starting to get these ulcer like things in my nostrils and sometimes I get some blood when I blow my nose. I did Avastin for 5 months a few years ago and did not have trouble with that back then
  • hoagiemom
    hoagiemom Member Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    PhillieG said:

nose bleeds
    I have found that after taking Erbitux for many years (3 I think) I am starting to get these ulcer like things in my nostrils and sometimes I get some blood when I blow my nose. I did Avastin for 5 months a few years ago and did not have trouble with that back then

Oh Yes
    I have Stage III and two years NED.... I remember the getting nose bleeds I actually asked the same question. It is normal and it will go away as soon as the chemo is done. congrats on round # 7 and before you know it you will be done.. Good luck Michelle
  • daydreamer110761
    daydreamer110761 Member Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    hoagiemom said:

Oh Yes
    I have Stage III and two years NED.... I remember the getting nose bleeds I actually asked the same question. It is normal and it will go away as soon as the chemo is done. congrats on round # 7 and before you know it you will be done.. Good luck Michelle

FOLFOX and nose bleeds?
    since ya'all were asking - I've been getting them, not bad like ya got hit, but just when you blow the nose there it is. today my nose on the outside felt sore, and there it was, took a bit longer to stop it. has anyone on folfox had this?