I didn't take your advice

Options
emrose
emrose Member Posts: 136
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I asked "am I crazy?"

I was seeking opinions on my desire to try to get pregnant before my husband starts chemo. Some said go for it! Most said "I'd wait"

Thank you for all your opinions!!! We figured we only had one month to even try, so why not. The odds were against us. Well - it was meant to be!! I'M PREGNANT with our first child!!

My husband starts chemo next month. At some point this summer, he'll be 5 months into treatments and I'll be huge! Then - when the chemo is all said in done - a little over a month later, we'll have a baby!

I know. It's crazy. I'm terrified. I'm excited. I'm...well...hormonal!! He's happy, and we are ready to start a family. I pray the pregnancy and the chemo both go well. I pray the cancer never comes back. I pray the baby is healthy.

I have a lot to worry about. But I have even more to be thankful for. I'm ready for this. I truly feel that it was meant to be, and I will be the best wife and mother I can be. I'm only 27 and sometimes it hits me - my husband was diagnosed with cancer... And i'm pregnant??!? But I can't help but feel at peace, and think positive and amazing things for the future.

Thanks for being here! I'll keep you posted!

Comments

• CherylHutch
    CherylHutch Member Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Congratulations!!
    Both you and your husband are starting all sorts of NEW beginnings now... and like you say, what was meant to be was meant to be!! This is exciting news... for both of you!! Like we all say here... make plans for the long term and don't short-change yourself by thinking of the short-term when it comes to the beast. Both of you show this beast that it has nothing on you!!

I am so happy for both of you... and when he's having a down day, all he has to do is look at you and know that you are carrying a son or daughter. When you are having a down day, you just have to feel inside and know that you are carrying you and your husband's future :) Because of that alone, I'm willing to bet neither one of you has a bad time in the next 9 months... you'll both be too busy planning for this baby :)

Hugggggs,

Cheryl
  • MoonDragon
    MoonDragon Member Posts: 183
    Options
    Yay! Congratulations!! Good
    Yay! Congratulations!! Good for the two of you for not letting cancer get in the way of living your life!!!

Hugs!

Jorie
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Babies are awesome gifts!
    Enjoy the pregnancy, and I know this will help the both of you through what lies ahead! Babies are proof that there is a future and that the future is full of uncertainty! I hope your pregnancy goes well and what a wonderful thing to look forward to!
    mary
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    Take care of YOU, too!
    You DO have a bit on your plate. But, really, unless there are complications, pregnancy is a natural and normal condition! I worked up to delivery with both daughters. Be sure, while taking care of hubby that you take care of YOU...get sleep, cut down on the worry...

You have given hubby and inspiration to get him thru the treatments...something to look forward to for the future. And to fight hard to make sure he IS in the future!

Hugs, Kathi
  • Kathleen808
    Kathleen808 Member Posts: 2,342 Member
    Options
    Beautiful!
    What a beautiful gift for both of you! Congratulations! The joy of your child and the thoughts of your new family will carry you through!
    Aloha,
    Kathleen
  • jsabol
    jsabol Member Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to you both!
    One of my veteran buddies here used to always say "I may have cancer, but cancer doesn't have me!" You have to make each day count; this was important to you both, and will reap many rewards.
    I had infertility issues before my 2 kids, so we hoped beyond hope to get pregnant, and we did! Kids are such a gift; this one will light the way into the future for you both. I am now approaching 5 years out; wishing the same to hubby!
    Congrats, Judy
  • keepnthefaith
    keepnthefaith Member Posts: 36
    Options
    And baby makes three....
    Congratulations. You and your husband will breeze through the chemo months in anticipation of the birth of your first child. Children are truly from God and never a bad thing - His timing is perfect.
  • And baby makes three....
    Congratulations. You and your husband will breeze through the chemo months in anticipation of the birth of your first child. Children are truly from God and never a bad thing - His timing is perfect.

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Congrats
    I was one that said I'd wait, but I'm still very excited for you! Please post pictures along the way and especially when then new little one arrives.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • emrose
    emrose Member Posts: 136
    Options
    tootsie1 said:

Congrats
    I was one that said I'd wait, but I'm still very excited for you! Please post pictures along the way and especially when then new little one arrives.

*hugs*
    Gail

Thank you
    thank you for all your comments!! I'm glad you don't think this is a mistake! I do think it will be nice to have fun ultrasound dr appts in between the yucky chemo appts. It is something to keep my husband motivated, and an amazing gift to look forward to! I'm having so much fun thinkng about the baby and planning for our future that the cancer is not all I think about anymore!! :)

I will keep you all posted through the chemo and pregnancy journey we are embarking on!
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Options
    I'm happy for you!
    Hello,
    I'm really quite happy for you! This will be an emotional time, as being pregnant brings out the emotions in us anyhow. Yes, you have a lot going on, but I'm so very glad for you that you have this wonderful happy news in the midst of the more difficult news with having your hubby go through chemo. I fully believe your husband will be around a long time and will be glad to enjoy a beautiful new life as a father. Congratulations!!!
    Lisa