Saw the mails on dental work......it is the Avastin that causes problems;
    it retards healing, nothing to do with infection....but slows down healing
    of any kind so I think any serious dental work outght to be delayed but
    cleaning might be ok. I had a crown on a front tooth that broke and now
    I would have to get an implant so I am going around snaggle toothed and
    don't know when I will get implant.....they are so expensive and take
    several months to be fitted, heal, etc.

Avastin and healing
    You are so right, the Avastin interferes with healing and my dentist always checks with my onc before doing anything major. My onc has to delay my Avastin to work around dental work, but only needs 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after. In fact, I have Avastin delayed for tattoos as well! He doesn't mind, it is MY life anyhow!
    mary
  • CherylHutch
    CherylHutch Member Posts: 1,375
    Options
    msccolon said:

Avastin and healing
    You are so right, the Avastin interferes with healing and my dentist always checks with my onc before doing anything major. My onc has to delay my Avastin to work around dental work, but only needs 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after. In fact, I have Avastin delayed for tattoos as well! He doesn't mind, it is MY life anyhow!
    mary

Avastin and healing
    Hmmmm.... well, I haven't been on Avastin yet, so in my case that isn't the drug that has affected my teeth. AND, when it comes to chemo (5FU and Oxy were the two I were on, as well as the oral one that starts with the letter C... something like cebatacine), the last time I was on any of them was at the end of October, 2007. Soooo, I've had a nice long break from chemo and it's now, 16 months later, than I'm really noticing the problems. Well, it's now that I'm having to have all the dental work done.

Maybe I'm just a late bloomer and it's taken a good 12+ months for the damage to kick in?

As for me telling my dentist that while I was on chemo I guess I wouldn't be able to see her, that was probably my own ignorance and misunderstanding something I read. Because she had asked me what chemo I was going to be on and when I told her, she did say that with those drugs I would still be able to come see her. ;)

Hugggggs,

Cheryl