Here I go again!!!

Options
butterfly23
butterfly23 Member Posts: 256
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi everyone!!! I am 39 yrs old, I have been in remission for 2 months now, I had 4th stage colon cancer, 12 rounds of 5fu and surgery in Oct. We were supposed to start preventative chemo in March, Change of plans! I found another swollen lymph node in neck which is where this all started last year! I will be starting chemo on Wed. again!!! YUCK!!! I didn't mind so much when I thought this was preventative chemo now I feel like it's starting all over again... Here comes round 2 of my fight!!! I'm putting my gloves on:)
Thinking of all of you always!!!
Stay strong and POSITIVE THINKING ALWAYS!!!
Karyn

Comments

• lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Options
    same situation
    Hi Karyn,

I found myself in your shoes back in August. I've been fighting stage IV since I was diagnosed in Aug. of '07. I did all the Folfox/Avastin rounds, radiation/chemo, then a liver resection and thought I was all clear. Three months later, I was scanned and activity and nodules were found growing again in my lungs, so back on chemo I went.
    I was shocked, saddened, and angry at first when I found out I had to start back on chemo again. I felt like that for a few weeks until God gave me back the positive attitude and will to be a fighter again! I've now been back on chemo for 5 months. I've been scanned once during that time and am due for a scan again in about another 8 weeks. I pray I'll be done with it then!
    Best wishes and although it's tough and is a major bummer, you can do this! We're all pulling for you & I'll be here to listen when you need it. In fact, your postive and fighting attitude are an inspiration to me- I needed that this morning as I get ready to go get my blood drawn again in prep for my chemo tomorrow. What are they going to be giving you this time? I'm getting Camptosar (irinotecan), Avastin, and Xeloda. I initially was put on Erbitux with the Camptosar and Avastin, but was found to have the k-ras mutation so Erbitux wouldn't work for me (too bad it was found out after I had been on it for 7 weeks and had already suffered a HORRIBLE acne rash). I'm doing okay on the current chemo cocktail. I hope that you will do well on whatever you're taking also. Best wishes!

God bless,
    Lisa
  • butterfly23
    butterfly23 Member Posts: 256
    Options
    lisa42 said:

same situation
    Hi Karyn,

I found myself in your shoes back in August. I've been fighting stage IV since I was diagnosed in Aug. of '07. I did all the Folfox/Avastin rounds, radiation/chemo, then a liver resection and thought I was all clear. Three months later, I was scanned and activity and nodules were found growing again in my lungs, so back on chemo I went.
    I was shocked, saddened, and angry at first when I found out I had to start back on chemo again. I felt like that for a few weeks until God gave me back the positive attitude and will to be a fighter again! I've now been back on chemo for 5 months. I've been scanned once during that time and am due for a scan again in about another 8 weeks. I pray I'll be done with it then!
    Best wishes and although it's tough and is a major bummer, you can do this! We're all pulling for you & I'll be here to listen when you need it. In fact, your postive and fighting attitude are an inspiration to me- I needed that this morning as I get ready to go get my blood drawn again in prep for my chemo tomorrow. What are they going to be giving you this time? I'm getting Camptosar (irinotecan), Avastin, and Xeloda. I initially was put on Erbitux with the Camptosar and Avastin, but was found to have the k-ras mutation so Erbitux wouldn't work for me (too bad it was found out after I had been on it for 7 weeks and had already suffered a HORRIBLE acne rash). I'm doing okay on the current chemo cocktail. I hope that you will do well on whatever you're taking also. Best wishes!

God bless,
    Lisa

Thank-You Lisa!
    I sure is a

Thank-You Lisa!
    I sure is a punch in the stomache when you here that news! I was VERY positive the 1st time around and I still am, but like you said I am ANGRY, I feel like I didn't get to enjoy remission long enough!!!! My prayers are with you, thanks for writing me!
    God Bless!
    Karyn
  • kristasplace
    kristasplace Member Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Hi Karyn! I think you're
    Hi Karyn! I think you're very positive too! I so dread the thought of having to go through chemo again! Actually dread the thought of going through any of it again! I still cannot watch Shrek III because i watched it so many times just after my resection surgery so i would laugh, that now it reminds me of being sick and in pain, and i can't bear to watch it again.

I think you and Lisa both are real troupers, and seem like you'll be able to overcome all of it. I will learn from your examples, for sure.

Many hugs,
    Krista
  • kimby
    kimby Member Posts: 797
    Options
    Me too!
    I'm so sorry to hear your news. I am also back...well, never really off I guess. I'm 45 now, 43 at diagnosis 8/07 and have shown progression on every chemo we've tried. I'm almost out of chemo options (currently on mitomycin, avastin and xeloda) and my liver is inoperable. I start radiation on the liver this week and I am hopeful.

It is so hard going back to chemo once you've been off if you don't expect to go back so soon. REAL bummer!! I cried the night before and as I was walking into the cancer center for that first cycle of the second round. I think it was much harder for me than the original diagnosis.

I have gotten used to living with canSer. It really is a good place to be...living with canSer NOT dying from it. We can co-exist in this body as soon as I convince it that it only lives if I do! CanSer is an unwelcome guest and stinks after 7 days...LOL...but I am comfortable now. I hope you get to NED and can dance, dance, dance! You have my prayers for NED but also for the coming days. The day to day living.

Kimby
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Options
    kimby said:

Me too!
    I'm so sorry to hear your news. I am also back...well, never really off I guess. I'm 45 now, 43 at diagnosis 8/07 and have shown progression on every chemo we've tried. I'm almost out of chemo options (currently on mitomycin, avastin and xeloda) and my liver is inoperable. I start radiation on the liver this week and I am hopeful.

It is so hard going back to chemo once you've been off if you don't expect to go back so soon. REAL bummer!! I cried the night before and as I was walking into the cancer center for that first cycle of the second round. I think it was much harder for me than the original diagnosis.

I have gotten used to living with canSer. It really is a good place to be...living with canSer NOT dying from it. We can co-exist in this body as soon as I convince it that it only lives if I do! CanSer is an unwelcome guest and stinks after 7 days...LOL...but I am comfortable now. I hope you get to NED and can dance, dance, dance! You have my prayers for NED but also for the coming days. The day to day living.

Kimby

we'll keep supporting each other!
    We'll just keep supporting each other! I'd never wish this on anyone else in a million years, but it sure has helped going through it to know that there are others who truly understand because they've been there (or still are there). I can't wait until we can all share in our NED status!!!!

Blessings,
    Lisa
  • sheri22
    sheri22 Member Posts: 273
    Options
    chemo again
    Karyn sorry to here your going back into chemo again just stay strong keep them gloves on good luck
  • maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member
    Options
    sheri22 said:

chemo again
    Karyn sorry to here your going back into chemo again just stay strong keep them gloves on good luck

chemo again and again
    Hi Karyn....sorry to hear you are starting again. I think everyone agrees....no 2 is almost worse than the first time....and you are right you really didn`t get enough down time. I got 5 months between my first colon surgery and then the 5FU...then it went after the 5mon break to major liver lesions....surgery and about 8 months of xeloda....then I got a 2 year break and back to liver....another liver resection in Nov and chemo started today! funny you should mention it.

Hang in there kiddo ...keep the gloves on for sure.....there are lots of us here.

Thinking about you and sending warmest hugs
    Maggie
    ps I am the old one in this pic:):)