Starting Chemo Tomorrow

Tonia11
Tonia11 Member Posts: 57
edited March 2014 in Stomach Cancer #1
My husband starts chemo tomorrow. He's getting oxiplatin and epirubicin via IV and Xeloda pills orally every day. Some people have said he will get very sick while I have co-workers who had cancer and they say they continued to work thru their chemo. He's a professor and he's on leave so he doesn't have to go to work. We have two boys (ages 10 & 6). I'm so worried about how this will effect them. We are going ask his oncologist about taking the herbal supplement AHCC to help with the side effects from chemo.

Any other advice?

Comments

• Tonia11
    Update
    My hubby's chemo treatment went okay. However he had a very rough night with a lot of vomiting. But his oncologist has since given him several medications to help with that and he seems to be doing better. He got a blood transfusion on Tuesday, so he's not as fatigued.
  • Tomissimo
    Tomissimo Member Posts: 37
    Tonia11 said:

Update
    My hubby's chemo treatment went okay. However he had a very rough night with a lot of vomiting. But his oncologist has since given him several medications to help with that and he seems to be doing better. He got a blood transfusion on Tuesday, so he's not as fatigued.

Chemo or with radiation?
    Glad to hear he is not feeling as fatigued. Is your husband also going through Radiation Treatment as well? radiation treatment unfortunately gets worse as its used more and seemed to top out for me about a week to week and a half after a 2 wk treatment (wk 3 to 3.5)

I had nausea problems as well with my chemo and took the typical Zofran, but also had Ativan and a steriod to help with nausea as well.
  • Tonia11
    Tomissimo said:

Chemo or with radiation?
    Glad to hear he is not feeling as fatigued. Is your husband also going through Radiation Treatment as well? radiation treatment unfortunately gets worse as its used more and seemed to top out for me about a week to week and a half after a 2 wk treatment (wk 3 to 3.5)

I had nausea problems as well with my chemo and took the typical Zofran, but also had Ativan and a steriod to help with nausea as well.

He is only doing chemo for now. And only 3 rounds with a treatment every 21 days. He also is taking Xeloda pills daily. After that they will do another round of scans and tests to "re-stage" the tumor. He's taking Kytril for nausea and it works pretty good. But we only have samples. After those run out he'll be taking Zofran.