port and swimming

Kathleen808
Kathleen808 Member Posts: 2,342 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi,
As **** recovers from surgery he is trying to look forward to things. One thing we are wondering is can he swim in the ocean with a port? If you don't have a port what do they do? New IV each time for chemo? Who decided on whether or not someone gets a port?
Take care.
Kathleen

Comments

• beachinmom
    beachinmom Member Posts: 73
    Port required for Pump....
    My onc has always said no problem w/ swimming. I personnaly would wait until my little scabby was off to swim in a pool or ocean, but that is just me. Obviously, can't swim w/ the pump, but no problem after.

Also, you asked about what they do w/ out the pump. If your hubby is on 5fu given over 46 hours on the pump, there is no other way to give that than the port. That is why most of us have ports.

Hope that helps.
  • taraHK
    taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
    swimming is fine
    No problem swimming with the port. I have swum in ocean, pool -- also no problem with hot tubs yea!!

Decision on whether to get a port or not should (in my opinion) be decided together by patient and doc. But these days it seems most do get one.

I have had chemo 4 times now. The first time I started with IV infusion (in my arm). My veins got pretty fried so I switched to a port. Had a port for #2 and #3. For this last round, I was just going to do oxaliplatin drip 6 times, so my onc and I thought we might try IV infusion. That was a mistake -- the drip really stung and the effects lasted several days. So I had a port put in. I must add that some people have their chemo thro IV drip and no problems.

Good luck to you both

Tara
  • MoonDragon
    MoonDragon Member Posts: 183
    I love my port!
    My port wasn't an option for me as my veins are very small and would collapse or roll during chemo and they would have to start over in a new site. I would sometimes have 5 sticks before the session was over. I've chosen to keep my port even though my chemo is over just because it's so convenient!

:)

Jorie
  • mykidsmommy
    mykidsmommy Member Posts: 76
    an idea
    Hi -

My port was in my chest - and we are a boating family - in the Colorado river no less, so I got this stuff called "2nd skin" - it is a very thin clear band aid - and it's wide so it covers the port and I felt like it kept germs out - seemed like a good idea.
    A port is a good thing - amy arms - most arms - could not handle the amount of "toxic" stuff - and after a few hours on the drip - your arm is so very sore - so the port helps with that.
    Good news - my port is our and now lives in my jewelry drawer. A little reminder.
  • mykidsmommy
    mykidsmommy Member Posts: 76
    an idea
    Hi -

My port was in my chest - and we are a boating family - in the Colorado river no less, so I got this stuff called "2nd skin" - it is a very thin clear band aid - and it's wide so it covers the port and I felt like it kept germs out - seemed like a good idea.
    A port is a good thing - amy arms - most arms - could not handle the amount of "toxic" stuff - and after a few hours on the drip - your arm is so very sore - so the port helps with that.
    Good news - my port is our and now lives in my jewelry drawer. A little reminder.
  • Kathleen808
    Kathleen808 Member Posts: 2,342 Member

an idea
    Hi -

good idea
    Thanks. We are in the water a lot and I know the ocean will be a big part of ****'s healing.
    Also, what you wrote to Donna was so good to read. It really helps to read posts from people who have been there. I read your post to my husband.
    Aloha,
    Kathleen