My Job...

Shayenne
Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I went to visit my work yesterday, since my hospital stay last week, and everyone was really happy to see me. They gave me a card that they all signed and it had over 200 bucks in it, I just started bawling, and said they didn't have to do that. I also found out that I had to be there for a year to do that Family Medical Leave Act thing, where I could take off I'm not well, and all, but I only been there for 7 months, so this may hurt my job position, but they are actually pulling people from their other offices to do my job temporary, trying to work around me, and I feel so bad. I think maybe I should just quit for now, since I don't know how chemo is going to affect me, where I would be taking off alot or not, and maybe they'd take me back later? Has anyone found it very hard to work through your first chemo treatments? is it something you get used too?

Comments

• Mike49
    Mike49 Member Posts: 261
    Everyone is different
    I have continued to work, I take of 3 days out of every two weeks, these are the Wednesday thru Friday I actually get chemo or wear my pump. On Friday I finish everything and recover over the weekend. I go back to work the following monday and so far I have done pretty well. It depends though, I am stage three, and I get Folfox=4 and Avastin on the Fridays. Some days I don't have much energy but most of the time I am ok. I have an office job, not outdoors, construction, I don't think that would be possible.

Good luck, in the end the decision you make will be right for you.

Mike
  • daydreamer110761
    daydreamer110761 Member Posts: 487 Member
    Mike49 said:

Everyone is different
    I have continued to work, I take of 3 days out of every two weeks, these are the Wednesday thru Friday I actually get chemo or wear my pump. On Friday I finish everything and recover over the weekend. I go back to work the following monday and so far I have done pretty well. It depends though, I am stage three, and I get Folfox=4 and Avastin on the Fridays. Some days I don't have much energy but most of the time I am ok. I have an office job, not outdoors, construction, I don't think that would be possible.

Good luck, in the end the decision you make will be right for you.

Mike

work is what keeps me sane!
    I guess i"m lucky, my fiance is also my boss, and they worked around things. I have to say that it's one of the things that keeps me sane. I work at a desk, so things aren't that bad. I take the hospital day off, and work full to half days the rest of the time. There are days where I am more tired than usual, but I leave early and go take a nap, and also am able to help from home some days. There are many people here that keep their jobs, and some don't it's up to you. would your boss work with you?
  • CherylHutch
    CherylHutch Member Posts: 1,375
    Work
    Everyone is really different, so it's something you have to figure out how you want to do it.

I have not been working full time for 2 years, but then I consider my full time job to be to heal and give myself the best opportunity. That is easy for me to say/do because I do have the Long Term Disability Insurance through work. If I didn't have that, then I would just have to make it work that I could work and support myself... and I really do feel for all of you that have to do that.

Now, having said that... they say the chemo effects are "accumulative", meaning you can get more and more tired as time goes on. Well, when I was in my 6th - 9th treatments, I worked (volunteered) at my theatre job from noon - anywhere from 8pm until midnight... and loved every minute of it. So here I should have been tired and should not have done well around large crowds of people... and I was in my hayday and felt just fine!

So, maybe you want to give it a try and see how you do? If it's not working for you, then you can make the decision, but why not try it out first?

Hugggggs,

Cheryl
  • pamness
    pamness Member Posts: 524 Member
    I didn't work through my chemo, but I have a friend that did
    Hi:

I had a very hard time with chemo, but I am not/was not the norm. I have a younger friend with rectal cancer who commuted 1 hour each way during pre operative trial chemo with 7 days of 5FU for 6 weeks, radiation and avastin once a week - took a little time off during surgery - and worked almost continuously during 8 rounds of folfox after the surgery with the 2 hour commute. She also had her company move during the chemo trial and found a new job and continued to work. She finished chemo this past Monday and will have reconnective surgery, (at the last moment they decided to to an illeostomy) when her blood counts are back. In March or April.

I am continually amazed at what people on this site are able to do. I didn't find this site until I was done.

Don't underestimate yourself. I will be you can do whatever you set your mind to.

Pam
  • pamysue
    pamysue Member Posts: 105
    I work with the public,
    I work with the public, social work, so also with a lot of sick people. I wanted to get through chemo as quickly as possible, so I only worked from home. Does your job offer short term disability? Have you been there long enough to qualify if so?

I was happy to not miss one treatment off schedule and be done as soon as possible. I also found out just how much I can do from home. Monday will be my first day back in the office when we are open. I am 6 weeks out of my (hopefully) final surgery.

If you can afford it, don't work yourself sick. Make sure you have something to concentrate on other than your treatment, but keep your body strong and make YOU your #1 priority. Good luck, hon.
  • dorookie
    dorookie Member Posts: 1,731 Member
    Talk to your Boss
    See what your options are. Maybe they are willing to work with you and have you work only a few days a week, thats if you feel up to it. Be honest with them and tell them you just dont know how the chemo is going to affect you. If you quit your job are you covered insurance wise by your hubbys job? Like everyone has said we are all different. When I finished my first round of Chemo I went back to work to soon, and I work in a very high stress environment (law enforcement) and I honestly believe that had something to do with the cancer coming back. Only you will know what your body can and cant do, but before you just up and quit, talk to your boss, you might find that they are very willing to work with you, cant hurt to ask, worst they can do is say no, right?

Good Luck
    God Bless
    Beth
  • Shayenne
    dorookie said:

Talk to your Boss
    See what your options are. Maybe they are willing to work with you and have you work only a few days a week, thats if you feel up to it. Be honest with them and tell them you just dont know how the chemo is going to affect you. If you quit your job are you covered insurance wise by your hubbys job? Like everyone has said we are all different. When I finished my first round of Chemo I went back to work to soon, and I work in a very high stress environment (law enforcement) and I honestly believe that had something to do with the cancer coming back. Only you will know what your body can and cant do, but before you just up and quit, talk to your boss, you might find that they are very willing to work with you, cant hurt to ask, worst they can do is say no, right?

Good Luck
    God Bless
    Beth

Thanks all!
    I'm a Rehab Secretary, at a hospital (physical therapy dept) a desk job, so it isn't like I'll be doing alot of strenuos work. They said to just keep coming in when I can, they pulled someone from another office to work the later hours on Tues and Thurs, and maybe I can work Mon, Wed and Fri, but I think if I'm going to be too tired, I shouldn't just do it. Do you get more and more sicker, tired and unenergetic as the treatments go on? I thought maybe the more treatments, the more your body gets used to it, and maybe start getting better...but you don't feel good till all the treatments are done then? I thought the first round would have me feeling the worse..so it just gets worse and worse?

I am covered by my hubbys insurance, he will start working his long hours in the spring, since highway construction gets laid off in the winters, that's why it's nice having him home with me, but soon once he starts working, I'll be here alone with the kids till he gets home, I don't want him finding another job, since we need that insurance now. The guy from Human Resources said that they would work around this, and have before...

I don't really want to go back yet, I do want to concentrate on getting better, and maybe just do some meetings and volunteer work if I am able to do it, while kids are at school.. I want to go back to picking my kids up from school, and just being a stay at home mom again for now I think, alot of hours were spent working, and I don't want miss anything more going on at the kids school as well.

Thanks all for you replies! I may work part-time if I can, I'll maybe go in tomorrow and see if I'm able to do that.

Hugsss!
    ~Donna
  • pamysue
    pamysue Member Posts: 105
    Shayenne said:

Thanks all!
    I'm a Rehab Secretary, at a hospital (physical therapy dept) a desk job, so it isn't like I'll be doing alot of strenuos work. They said to just keep coming in when I can, they pulled someone from another office to work the later hours on Tues and Thurs, and maybe I can work Mon, Wed and Fri, but I think if I'm going to be too tired, I shouldn't just do it. Do you get more and more sicker, tired and unenergetic as the treatments go on? I thought maybe the more treatments, the more your body gets used to it, and maybe start getting better...but you don't feel good till all the treatments are done then? I thought the first round would have me feeling the worse..so it just gets worse and worse?

I am covered by my hubbys insurance, he will start working his long hours in the spring, since highway construction gets laid off in the winters, that's why it's nice having him home with me, but soon once he starts working, I'll be here alone with the kids till he gets home, I don't want him finding another job, since we need that insurance now. The guy from Human Resources said that they would work around this, and have before...

I don't really want to go back yet, I do want to concentrate on getting better, and maybe just do some meetings and volunteer work if I am able to do it, while kids are at school.. I want to go back to picking my kids up from school, and just being a stay at home mom again for now I think, alot of hours were spent working, and I don't want miss anything more going on at the kids school as well.

Thanks all for you replies! I may work part-time if I can, I'll maybe go in tomorrow and see if I'm able to do that.

Hugsss!
    ~Donna

I could feel your need to be
    I could feel your need to be with your children when I read,
    "I don't really want to go back yet, I do want to concentrate on getting better, and maybe just do some meetings and volunteer work if I am able to do it, while kids are at school.. I want to go back to picking my kids up from school, and just being a stay at home mom again for now I think, alot of hours were spent working, and I don't want miss anything more going on at the kids school as well."

If you are lucky enough to be able to be with them, do it. I did not find the treatments to get easier, just the opposite. But (again) everyone is different. The more Oxliplatin I got in my system the sicker I got. Each treatment seemed to be harder to get past. I did make myself eat and drink and walk.

Blessings, Donna!
    Pam
  • Shayenne
    pamysue said:

I could feel your need to be
    I could feel your need to be with your children when I read,
    "I don't really want to go back yet, I do want to concentrate on getting better, and maybe just do some meetings and volunteer work if I am able to do it, while kids are at school.. I want to go back to picking my kids up from school, and just being a stay at home mom again for now I think, alot of hours were spent working, and I don't want miss anything more going on at the kids school as well."

If you are lucky enough to be able to be with them, do it. I did not find the treatments to get easier, just the opposite. But (again) everyone is different. The more Oxliplatin I got in my system the sicker I got. Each treatment seemed to be harder to get past. I did make myself eat and drink and walk.

Blessings, Donna!
    Pam

I'm Sorry..
    I'm so sorry to hear how it made you sicker. I did hear from some people that said it will make you sicker before you can get better, I am really afraid of it, and tomorrow is my first oncology consult with my doctor, who I am meeting for the first time, and actually looking forward to it. I just want to get it over with. I'm not starting chemo tomorrow as I thought, I just found it this was just a consult, which may take about 2 hours, and yeah, I am finding life is precious now, and may not be here to long, and want to make sure I spend most of it with my kids, I do get discouraged alot, and am thinking this is going to be a rough road for me.

Though, we went out for Chinese Food a couple nights ago, and I got this fortune cookie that said "You will overcome many obstacles" which actually put a smile on my face.. pretty weird timing for that.

I hope you do well in future treatments though, I will be thinking about all again tomorrow when I'm at the doctors, and hope to ask the right questions. I know the only question I won't be asking is "How much time do I have?" because I just really don't want to know.

You will be in my prayers pamysue, are you on a treatment that is at least better for you?

Hugss,
    Donna
  • VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    Shayenne said:

I'm Sorry..
    I'm so sorry to hear how it made you sicker. I did hear from some people that said it will make you sicker before you can get better, I am really afraid of it, and tomorrow is my first oncology consult with my doctor, who I am meeting for the first time, and actually looking forward to it. I just want to get it over with. I'm not starting chemo tomorrow as I thought, I just found it this was just a consult, which may take about 2 hours, and yeah, I am finding life is precious now, and may not be here to long, and want to make sure I spend most of it with my kids, I do get discouraged alot, and am thinking this is going to be a rough road for me.

Though, we went out for Chinese Food a couple nights ago, and I got this fortune cookie that said "You will overcome many obstacles" which actually put a smile on my face.. pretty weird timing for that.

I hope you do well in future treatments though, I will be thinking about all again tomorrow when I'm at the doctors, and hope to ask the right questions. I know the only question I won't be asking is "How much time do I have?" because I just really don't want to know.

You will be in my prayers pamysue, are you on a treatment that is at least better for you?

Hugss,
    Donna

Donna...
    As I read your posts, I feel that you think this is an automatic death sentence. NOT SO! There have been many, many advances in treating colon and rectal cancer in just the past 4 or 5 years. You once said, "I know I am terminal". How do you know? Was it from the doctor, or are you just projecting that, because you are stage 4, it is hopeless? Believe me, I am not treating your diagnosis lightly, I just want you to know that there is always HOPE. Hang onto life with all you have. Yes, the chemo can be rough, but it keeps us alive.

Now, repeat after me "I am going to kick some Butt"

Many prayers and hugs,

Vicki

PS...if I am off base here, just tell me to butt out....no pun intended.
  • MoonDragon
    MoonDragon Member Posts: 183
    Like everyone is saying,
    Like everyone is saying, chemo affects people differently. It kicked my butt, what was left of it anyway, :) and I was unable to work. I thought this was normal till I started reading other's posts and found that a lot of people work through chemo or go part time. Don't give up just because you don't think you're going to be able to make it. Don't underestimate yourself, you might just surprise yourself. See how you feel. Also, don't be afraid, embarrassed or guilty because others are giving to you. Being able to give to you gives them a chance to be blessed for giving from the kindness of their hearts. If you stop their giving, you rob them of a chance to be blessed. :P

Hugs!

Jorie
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member

Like everyone is saying,
    Like everyone is saying, chemo affects people differently. It kicked my butt, what was left of it anyway, :) and I was unable to work. I thought this was normal till I started reading other's posts and found that a lot of people work through chemo or go part time. Don't give up just because you don't think you're going to be able to make it. Don't underestimate yourself, you might just surprise yourself. See how you feel. Also, don't be afraid, embarrassed or guilty because others are giving to you. Being able to give to you gives them a chance to be blessed for giving from the kindness of their hearts. If you stop their giving, you rob them of a chance to be blessed. :P

Hugs!

Jorie

Amen, sister!
    Just had to say, you are spot on about letting people give!
    mary
  • Shayenne
    msccolon said:

Amen, sister!
    Just had to say, you are spot on about letting people give!
    mary

Thank you all!
    I really needed the encouragement, thanks so much for that, I know I get discouraged, and am so sorry, but you're all right, and I won't know how it's going to be till I finally do it, so I will try to make sure I am fighting this with all my heart, I think I need to really get some anti-anxiety meds as well, I hope the dr. will treat my mood swings..one minute I'm fine, the next I'm just in tears, when does that stop.. or does it ever..

I hate to be a burden to anyone, not used to having people do things for me, but I will let people help, I've gotten so many calls from friends who will be there when I need them, and I know there will be times when I'll need to have them take my kids or something, I hope I just can cook abit for them, they may light the house on fire if they try..lol..

Bless this forum, I feel so much better when I come here, thanks for lifting me.. again.. you all are so wonderful!

Vicki... I am going to kick some butt!!!!

Hugssss!
    ~Donna