NURSING STAFF PROBLEMS----CAPTAIN HOP

Options
captainhop
captainhop Member Posts: 156
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I gotta vent a bit here, so pardon me while I YELLLLLLLLLLLLL

Hop's surgeon was in yesterday and said he wanted him up and walking twice a day....put him on a liquid diet........well, they (nurses) didn't get him up at all yesterday and didn't bring him even a glass of water. He's getting bed cramps from laying in the bed so much.. ..then to top it all off, last night he couldn't take it any longer, so sat on the side of the bed. A nurse came in and threw a hissy fit because he didn't call someone to help him with support... He calls and they're "too busy right now". THEN THE NURSE THREATENED TO TIE HIM TO THE BED. CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT.

That was the final straw for me so I went out and had a few choice words with the nurses and I'm afraid I wasn't too kind. In fact they probably saw for the first time in their lives, 96 pounds of rumbling hell. Even told them the head nurse needed an "attitude adjustment" and a "personality change".

A few minutes later the medical doctor came in and I told him what all was going on and he said, ""WHAT?""...no, no, that's not going to happen and said he couldn't believe they had said that and that they hadn't walked Hop. In no uncertain terms, he assured us he WOULD take care of the situation AND let the surgeon know what was going on. Said Hop couldn't get his strength back if he didn't walk.; He was really upset. ---MISSION ACCOMPLISHED---Now the right people know exactly what's going on. Maybe my luv will start to feeling better. I SURE HOPE SO

Thanks for listening to me vent!!!!!!
Marygale

Comments

• Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Options
    Sick em girlfriend..........lol
    We have to vent to feel better ...it looks as though it wasn't wasted either....Good for you Girl, its a shame that this had to happen but it did allow you to vent off some frustration and get things resolved at the same time.....Good for you......God Bless ya....
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    Sigh...you need to be a squeaky wheel....
    I just kept bugging the nurses if I needed something. I think I had and easier time, because my surgeon was the Chief of Surgery and Oncology...and a bear, to boot! I only complained when necessary, but got results...good for you that you told Hop's doctor....walking is critical! Shame on those nurses that they didn't follow thru!

Hugs, Kathi
  • beachinmom
    beachinmom Member Posts: 73
    Options
    Good Job!!
    I would have done the same thing!!! I had problems w/ my nursing staff too. I eventually had my surgeons get me the head nurse only. The only time I didn't have her was when she was off. You definately have to stay on top of them.
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Options

Good Job!!
    I would have done the same thing!!! I had problems w/ my nursing staff too. I eventually had my surgeons get me the head nurse only. The only time I didn't have her was when she was off. You definately have to stay on top of them.

Going Home
    As soon as they see that Hop can urinate without the cath,do without the morphine, and they know that his colon is operating as usual (normally farting tells them this..please excuse being frank here) and he can hydrate himself then they will probably send him home. Being there is no colostomy(thank goodness) waiting for an ostomy nurse won't be an issue this time(normally they are quick anyway). Hurry Home bud........God Bless ya'll
  • Faith4Cure
    Faith4Cure Member Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Go ahead and vent!
    Hop is so lucky to have you on his side! We do what we have to do, right? Anything for our guys who are going through this! I am sure he will be feeling much better soon. When they let him go home, he will improve much faster. Thinking of you both and praying for a quick recovery.

Faith
  • MoonDragon
    MoonDragon Member Posts: 183
    Options
    Good for you!!!
    Thank God you were there to intervene! I had some of the same problems. Mine was mostly hygene care. I went home with bloody rashes from not having my dressings changed on time when they would leak. In terms of a bath, they would bring the tub and a cloth and leave. If I was too weak to bathe myself, I was outta luck until my husband realized what was going on and had a few choice words with the nursing staff. It makes you wonder why exactly they went into nursing in the first place!! I'm really glad you stepped in.....or charged in!! :)
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Go, Girl!
    Marygale,

You're awesome! Hop's got the best nurse he needs in you.

When I was in still in the hospital after my resection, they wouldn't let me get up to go into the bathroom, so they put me on one of those stupid potty chairs in my room. The nurse was going to be "right back." Well, about 20 minutes later, my husband walked in the room to find me crying, too weak to get back in bed alone, and thoroughly humiliated. Suppose my minister or someone else had come in!

Shortly after Bill got me back in bed, my precious doctor walked in to find me sitting there shaking and crying. After finding out the source of the tears, this kind and Christian man said, "Hmm...we'll have to do something about that." All I know is that very shortly after that, the Director of Nursing paid a visit to my room. Steve's my hero!

I hope you don't have any further trouble, and that Hop gets to come home soon.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • kmygil
    kmygil Member Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Different experience
    I can't believe the attitude! My nurses were bullies about getting me up & walking, and I am eternally grateful. You definitely did the right things. It's a shame that you had to go that far to get them to do their jobs! Still praying for you both,

Kirsten
  • traci43
    traci43 Member Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    You go girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Let'em have it! Hope Hop is up and walking now. the nurses didn't move my mom after hip surgery and she got a bed sore. They've got to move around! Traci
  • daydreamer110761
    daydreamer110761 Member Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    traci43 said:

You go girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Let'em have it! Hope Hop is up and walking now. the nurses didn't move my mom after hip surgery and she got a bed sore. They've got to move around! Traci

It makes a person wonder
    I was fortunate enough to have my fiance and a best friend with me after my resection - one is an ex-EMT (master sergeant in the air force), the other is a pharmacist. They were persistant in getting me up and walking, asking questions that I never would have thought of, etc., and almost always there with me. He was with me in ICU after surgery and refused to leave even when I fought with the IPAP machine and they told him to.

I had one night after they had left where the gi bucket was too full and things were getting backed up and i was getting sick. Another night that after things started "flowing" they flowed too much and I couldn't get out of bed and to the bathroom fast enough, needless to say I had a few quite embarrassing moments, fortunately, at night, and It was brought to the attention of the head nurse - not by me, but my cheering sqaud. Most of my nurses were attentive and came when I called, and I rarely called anyway. Next time I want a vacation - I'm going to the holiday inn - better room service at a cheaper price!

It just proves that it's important to have someone with you in those places. I'm happy that Hop is up and moving tho - you go girl!