metastatic anywhere?

Options
jillpls
jillpls Member Posts: 238
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
HI, can CC metastasis go anywhere or just the lung, liver, gut area? Does it go to the bone or brain? My shoulder has been so sore it wakes me up at night. I thought it was a sore muscle but now I'm thinking the joint is sore since I have been so stiff from the chemo. My friend has lung cancer that spread to the bone and brain so now I'm wondering if CC can go there too??? Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Comments

• CherylHutch
    CherylHutch Member Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Mets
    The most commmon areas for CC metastasis is the liver and lung... but once cancer spreads it can be systemic, which means it can travel through the lymph nodes or blood stream and end up anywhere. My CC actually settled in my right adrenal gland, but not my left. As my radiologist said to me just yesterday, once CC has metastasized, there are active cancer cells throughout the body and it's anyone's guess where they will settle and take root. Mind you, just as many of them will die before ever settling and taking root.

As for the pain in your shoulder... did you have (or do you have) a port installed? I had a port installed and it was used for the 8 months I was getting chemo. Around the last month or so of chemo, I noticed my shoulder was "aching".. on and off and for no particular reason. As time went on, it got worse and worse, even after I had finished the chemo. The pain would keep me awake at night, it was that bad. My oncologist decided to have the port removed because maybe it was rubbing against my shoulder or collarbone. Well, I'd say it took a good 4 months or longer after it was removed for the pain in my shoulder to go away. It did eventually go away so I have no idea if it was the port or not, but it seems to have been caused by the port.

Huggggggs,

Cheryl
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    stiff shoulder
    another thought on the shoulder pain. Way back when I had what some older people refer to as "frozen shoulder" syndrome. The shoulder is a joint designed to be moved and often. I am a computer programmer by trade and thus spend HOURS on end doing nothing but typing and mousing; leaving my shoulder in one position for extended periods of time. Tissue grew over the joint and it was very sore when I would then go and do aerobic exercise or weights. The solution was exercises that required me to tear the tissue that had grown in the joint and to get it moving normally again; this took about a year. This obviously isn't what is going on with you, but it could be from extended periods of holding your shoulder in place, at least I did lay around alot while on treatment and got very stiff necks from it. Plus, the chemo has in me aggravated cartilage breakdown in my knee and hand joints which are very painful. I think Cheryl has some similar issues. Talk to your doc and have xrays done of your shoulder. It won't show soft tissue damage, but it would relieve your anxiety over a possible recurrence in the joint (which I don't think I have EVER heard of with cc but i could be wrong and it won't be the first time!)
    mary
  • jillpls
    jillpls Member Posts: 238
    Options
    thank you for your help in replying
    I will ask my dr for xrays but it is getting better. It's not the shoulder where the port is installed but I'll keep that in mind. I do however do a lot of computer stuff since that is my trade of work. Last night I played the wii golf, and the swinging motion hurt. But then last night it felt much better so it may be the tissue building up. Thanks again for your help. God bless you both on your journey
    Jillpls
  • pamness
    pamness Member Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    jillpls said:

thank you for your help in replying
    I will ask my dr for xrays but it is getting better. It's not the shoulder where the port is installed but I'll keep that in mind. I do however do a lot of computer stuff since that is my trade of work. Last night I played the wii golf, and the swinging motion hurt. But then last night it felt much better so it may be the tissue building up. Thanks again for your help. God bless you both on your journey
    Jillpls

I hope you find that the pain is not caused by mets from cc
    But I know about the Wii - the boxing caused me some real pain in the shoulder blades.

Who would have thought. I am a little embarrased to say it took three days to go away. And I thought I had been excercising??

Pam
  • tmd
    tmd Member Posts: 39
    Options
    brain mets
    My wife had mets to the brain from cc. She pass away 01/29/08. She lived 6 years with the cancer and finally ended up in the lungs and brain. Found in brain 08/08.

My prayers are with you.