ileostomy reversal

Options
tiny one
tiny one Member Posts: 465 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I had my ileostomy reversal on Dec 21,07. I take lomotil which helps with the frequency issue. I discovered that if I take alleve cold and sinus with lomotil that I don't have any BM's for most of the day. This enabled me to travel and go to dinner and then to shows, which usually last around 2 hours. Has anyone else had this similar effect? I had no side effects from doing this either. Also when traveling Poise pads are really good, their bigger and absord more than a regular pad. I might add that my bathroom issues have been good this last week. It might be due to the balloon dialation that the DR did. Never give up or get discouraged.

Comments

• MoonDragon
    MoonDragon Member Posts: 183
    Options
    Learning something new..........
    Wow, that's interesting that a combination of a diahrrea drug and a totally non-related drug can have that affect!

What is balloon dialation might I ask?

Glad to hear that this week has been better!!

Jorie
  • tiny one
    Options

Learning something new..........
    Wow, that's interesting that a combination of a diahrrea drug and a totally non-related drug can have that affect!

What is balloon dialation might I ask?

Glad to hear that this week has been better!!

Jorie

balloon dialation
    They did a sigmoidoscopy. A balloon dialation they insert a balloon in the anal area and inflate it. This is to stretch open some of the scar tissue. This was done under sedation.
  • MoonDragon
    MoonDragon Member Posts: 183
    Options
    tiny one said:

balloon dialation
    They did a sigmoidoscopy. A balloon dialation they insert a balloon in the anal area and inflate it. This is to stretch open some of the scar tissue. This was done under sedation.

That's an interesting
    That's an interesting procedure. My onc wanted me to see my gastro about having it done as he thought it might help with the diahrrea. I never asked my gastro as I was already having trouble controlling things at times, I couldn't imagine making a bigger exit! lol
  • kristasplace
    kristasplace Member Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Balloon dilation
    Hi Tiny! I know you had this procedure done, and you didn't mention if they sedated you in you reply to my post. Did they sedate you at all? I am also having a lot of problems since they did that to me. A few days ago i started getting a lot of backflow. That used to happen once in a while, but this was very painful, and plentiful. I couldn't pee without pushing either, which isn't too much of a surprise with my radiation cystitis, but it was really bad this time too. And the cramping...I almost went to the ER! Did you have any of these problems?

Many hugs,
    Krista
  • tiny one
    Options

Balloon dilation
    Hi Tiny! I know you had this procedure done, and you didn't mention if they sedated you in you reply to my post. Did they sedate you at all? I am also having a lot of problems since they did that to me. A few days ago i started getting a lot of backflow. That used to happen once in a while, but this was very painful, and plentiful. I couldn't pee without pushing either, which isn't too much of a surprise with my radiation cystitis, but it was really bad this time too. And the cramping...I almost went to the ER! Did you have any of these problems?

Many hugs,
    Krista

balloon dialation
    They did a sigmoidoscopy with balloon dialation under sedation. I believe they used fentanyl and versed. My surgeon was going to do a proctoscopy, but he did a digital rectal exam and stopped. Radiation had made me thicken up and narrowed the rectal area. He knew he couldn't do the scope on me then. I have vaginal shortening from radiation. The balloon dialation was to try and break open some of the scar tissue. I'm not sure what you mean by backflow. Haven't had hardly any problems with cramping either.
  • Denise1966
    Denise1966 Member Posts: 90
    Options
    tiny one said:

balloon dialation
    They did a sigmoidoscopy with balloon dialation under sedation. I believe they used fentanyl and versed. My surgeon was going to do a proctoscopy, but he did a digital rectal exam and stopped. Radiation had made me thicken up and narrowed the rectal area. He knew he couldn't do the scope on me then. I have vaginal shortening from radiation. The balloon dialation was to try and break open some of the scar tissue. I'm not sure what you mean by backflow. Haven't had hardly any problems with cramping either.

scar tissue
    I just had a DRE last week and was told that I have quite a bit of scar tissue and that when I have my colonoscopy, my surgeon will more than likely have to dialate me. Is this normal? I have been pretty nervous about this. Does the dialation help?
  • tiny one
    Options

scar tissue
    I just had a DRE last week and was told that I have quite a bit of scar tissue and that when I have my colonoscopy, my surgeon will more than likely have to dialate me. Is this normal? I have been pretty nervous about this. Does the dialation help?

scar tissue
    I have scar tissue and my surgeon did balloon dialation when he did a sigmoidoscopy. This was done under sedation. My scar tissue they believe is from radiation. I had an ileostomy for 10 months and then a reversal. Depending on your curcumstances it may be normal for you. I think the procedure helped a little. I still have frequent bathroom issues, which I can control with lomotil. I tend to have soreness and pain when I go frequently. Make sure you're going to have good sedation if their going to dialate you, I did and wasn't aware of the procedure at all.