Ports and Mammograms

Options
MoonDragon
MoonDragon Member Posts: 183
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I'm having a routine mammogram coming up and I have a port. Does anyone know if this will be affected by the port? I know it depends on just where the port is located but does anyone have any experiences or forewarning they'd like to share? :)

Thanks!

Jorie

Comments

• KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    Had my port for 2 years....
    Mammo'ed and even treated for breast cancer with it in...no problem.

The only trouble I had was that the placement of the port was directly in the way of the 'squish' portion of the mammo....I just told the tech to be careful...and watch for scraping!!!

Hugs, Kathi
  • KathiM said:

Had my port for 2 years....
    Mammo'ed and even treated for breast cancer with it in...no problem.

The only trouble I had was that the placement of the port was directly in the way of the 'squish' portion of the mammo....I just told the tech to be careful...and watch for scraping!!!

Hugs, Kathi

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • MoonDragon
    Options
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

Peck, Peck, Peck
    Nana, when did you have your port put in? I was told it would be a very minor, painless surgery to insert the port. I was in major pain for about 3 days and couldn't lift my arm for almost a week. That's been one of the reasons I've kept it. One, I'm chicken of the pain to take it out and two, I'm chicken of the pain to put it in again if I need it again! lol I really can't imagine what a mammogram is going to feel like but I'm about to find out on Friday. I usually imagine the worst on purpose so that when it's not that bad, it's great compared to what I thought it would be. I'm sure I'll be fine.....now where's my chicken seed? LOL
  • tiny one
    tiny one Member Posts: 465 Member
    Options

Peck, Peck, Peck
    Nana, when did you have your port put in? I was told it would be a very minor, painless surgery to insert the port. I was in major pain for about 3 days and couldn't lift my arm for almost a week. That's been one of the reasons I've kept it. One, I'm chicken of the pain to take it out and two, I'm chicken of the pain to put it in again if I need it again! lol I really can't imagine what a mammogram is going to feel like but I'm about to find out on Friday. I usually imagine the worst on purpose so that when it's not that bad, it's great compared to what I thought it would be. I'm sure I'll be fine.....now where's my chicken seed? LOL

port
    I had a mediport put in, in 07. It was very uncomfortable for the first day then by the third I could do most anything I wanted. The DR removed mine in his office with a local. The numbing shot was uncomfortable. I could tell he was tugging to remove it, but I didn't feel pain when he did this. They took mine out as soon as possible after I finished treatment at my request. I wanted this reminder gone. I never had a mammogram done with mine in. If it starts to be painful don't let them continue. Maybe they could ultrasound instead. Please let everyone know how this went. Someone I know had this question also, because they still have their port.
  • MoonDragon
    Options
    tiny one said:

port
    I had a mediport put in, in 07. It was very uncomfortable for the first day then by the third I could do most anything I wanted. The DR removed mine in his office with a local. The numbing shot was uncomfortable. I could tell he was tugging to remove it, but I didn't feel pain when he did this. They took mine out as soon as possible after I finished treatment at my request. I wanted this reminder gone. I never had a mammogram done with mine in. If it starts to be painful don't let them continue. Maybe they could ultrasound instead. Please let everyone know how this went. Someone I know had this question also, because they still have their port.

Friday
    Thank you, everyone for your input! I'm scheduled for Friday and I'll keep you posted.
  • traci43
    traci43 Member Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    No problems for me
    I've had 2 mammograms with my port and no problems. The technician is really careful once I mention my port. I even had a super squeeze mammogram because of a fat deposit that they were checking on and no pain. I've been lucky in tht I've had no problems with my port other than it took a long time for the scar to flatten out. I figured that was because I was on avastin when they put it in. Once I finished chemo it smoothed right out. Good luck to you, hope things go well. Traci
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • MoonDragon
    Options
    Update
    Had the mammo with my port with no real problems. The tech did have to re-do the picture 4 times on the side with the port as the port kept getting in the way and the pictures came out badly. She readjusted the camera angle and things went fine.

I did have to laugh, though. The very last thing she said to me before each take was, "don't move." I'm standing there with my head against the machine, my arm slightly behind me and my breast squashed so flat that it's pulling me into the machine and I asked, "Where do you expect me to go with my breast nailed to the wall?" We both laughed. It was good to laugh!
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options

Update
    Had the mammo with my port with no real problems. The tech did have to re-do the picture 4 times on the side with the port as the port kept getting in the way and the pictures came out badly. She readjusted the camera angle and things went fine.

I did have to laugh, though. The very last thing she said to me before each take was, "don't move." I'm standing there with my head against the machine, my arm slightly behind me and my breast squashed so flat that it's pulling me into the machine and I asked, "Where do you expect me to go with my breast nailed to the wall?" We both laughed. It was good to laugh!

She told me not to BREATHE....lol!
    So I said "Just don't yell FIRE! and run from the building without releasing me FIRST!!!!"

Hugs, Kathi