Doctor's Report

Options
saundra
saundra Member Posts: 1,370 Member
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
My CA-125 last week was 51 as compared to the 48 of last month. My oncologist said that a difference of 3 points was within the margin of statistical error and not to worry. For the first time he acknowledged the chemo causes the joint pain and wrote a prescription for naproxin sodium (aleve) for 500 mg taken two times a day. He also ordered a complete bone scan, x-ray, and density test. I think the Anti-estrogen, Femara that I am on causes bone loss. At least I am getting the pain addressed as well as the bone density or loss checked. Before he did not pay much attention to my aches and pains. He OK's me to make plans to travel to Japan in March to see my son and family. So I am pretty happy about that.

I will continue on the Femara at least until I get back from that trip. Saundra

Comments

• 1trublonde
    1trublonde Member Posts: 18
    Options
    Your Trip
    Will you be in Japan in time for the Cherry Blossoms??????? I hear they are spectacular:-) Its always good to hear that pain has been acknowledged, as we all experience different things in different ways. During my chemo my Dr advised me to use anti inflamatory medicine, especially when I got the Neulasta shots. My bones would ache for a few days, but the motrin seemed to help. Do you know when the scan will be??? Hopefully all done before your trip???
    Happy Packing:-) Julie xoxox
  • saundra
    Options

Your Trip
    Will you be in Japan in time for the Cherry Blossoms??????? I hear they are spectacular:-) Its always good to hear that pain has been acknowledged, as we all experience different things in different ways. During my chemo my Dr advised me to use anti inflamatory medicine, especially when I got the Neulasta shots. My bones would ache for a few days, but the motrin seemed to help. Do you know when the scan will be??? Hopefully all done before your trip???
    Happy Packing:-) Julie xoxox

Scan
    CT and bone scans on 2/4/09. The Cherry Blossoms bloom the last week in March usually, so yes we should see some. Have not seen my son,daughter in law,and granddaughter since 7/07. Saundra
  • groundeffect
    groundeffect Member Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    CA-125
    My last CA-125 reading was 85, up from the 78 it was the month before. I hope you're not losing bone density! I'm going to ask my family practice doc if she thinks I should have another bone scan. I had one about 8 years ago they could compare it to.

I would love to go to Japan to see the cherry blossoms. I've seen the cherry blossoms in Washington, DC in full bloom - magnificent!
  • saundra
    Options

CA-125
    My last CA-125 reading was 85, up from the 78 it was the month before. I hope you're not losing bone density! I'm going to ask my family practice doc if she thinks I should have another bone scan. I had one about 8 years ago they could compare it to.

I would love to go to Japan to see the cherry blossoms. I've seen the cherry blossoms in Washington, DC in full bloom - magnificent!

Bones
    The anti estrogen pill I am on has the bone thing as a side effect. Drat it all. It has brought my CA125 down since October from 84 and is so easy....only hot flashes and loss of bone. The pill is Femara.
    We'll see what the CT shows next month. Saundra
  • LPack
    LPack Member Posts: 645
    Options
    bone pain
    Saundra,

Someone's doctor finally admitted to chemo causing joint pain. Thanks for sharing that. Also, this past weekend our daughter and family was in. She brought me a booklet to read that she has received from her genetic counselor (remember she is BRACA 2). I read it and found out that because I have had a hysterectomy that I will have joint pains also because I am no longer producing estrogen.

So, between no estrogen and chemo there will be joint/bone pain. I have had the full body bone scan (all good) and two years ago had the bone density (also good), but I am going to request another bone density next family doctor office visit.

Have a wonderful trip to Japan and with your family. Don't you just love the Blessings of life? My husband and I are actually going with our church to Texas on a missions trip the end of February. We will be helping with building, cleaning, cooking, etc. My husband retired last September and we can now do things together. God is good all the time.

Love,
    Libby
  • saundra
    Options
    Hey, Libby
    Where in Texas will you be? Most of our churches mission trips are to Canada and the NW part of US.
    We do lots around the Rio Grande in South TX across the Mexico border too. Midland is on I-20 so if you go thru W. Tx on that you must stop by. Let me know.

Our son in Japan will be preaching while we are there in a church they planted NW of Tokyo 13 years ago. He said some might be in English so we plan to go hear him. We'll hear him but not understand the part in Japanese.

My oncologist said that if my pain got too bad he would prescribe a mild pain reliever. For now we are going to try 500 mg a day of Naproxin Sodium. That is Aleve. I have been taking 200 mg so this will be over twice as much. The 200 mg did help some with the hands.

Saundra
  • LPack
    Options
    saundra said:

Hey, Libby
    Where in Texas will you be? Most of our churches mission trips are to Canada and the NW part of US.
    We do lots around the Rio Grande in South TX across the Mexico border too. Midland is on I-20 so if you go thru W. Tx on that you must stop by. Let me know.

Our son in Japan will be preaching while we are there in a church they planted NW of Tokyo 13 years ago. He said some might be in English so we plan to go hear him. We'll hear him but not understand the part in Japanese.

My oncologist said that if my pain got too bad he would prescribe a mild pain reliever. For now we are going to try 500 mg a day of Naproxin Sodium. That is Aleve. I have been taking 200 mg so this will be over twice as much. The 200 mg did help some with the hands.

Saundra

Galveston
    Saundra,

We will be flying and going to Galveston for the mission's project for one week. Some will be staying in a church facility, but we will stay in a local motel for comfort < :) > and just to make sure I get to sleep!!!!

I am just so glad to be able to serve in this way.

I take tylenol (1000 mg) for my pain but not consistently. I will ask my onco in March what she recommends other then the tylenol.

I am not location savvy, so is Galveston far from where you are?

Thanks,
    Libby
  • saundra
    Options
    LPack said:

Galveston
    Saundra,

We will be flying and going to Galveston for the mission's project for one week. Some will be staying in a church facility, but we will stay in a local motel for comfort < :) > and just to make sure I get to sleep!!!!

I am just so glad to be able to serve in this way.

I take tylenol (1000 mg) for my pain but not consistently. I will ask my onco in March what she recommends other then the tylenol.

I am not location savvy, so is Galveston far from where you are?

Thanks,
    Libby

Just about 700 miles or so.
    Just about 700 miles or so. Too far for us to drive. Have fun. Saundra
  • LPack
    Options
    saundra said:

Just about 700 miles or so.
    Just about 700 miles or so. Too far for us to drive. Have fun. Saundra

another time
    Okay! Then maybe another time. Love, Libby :)