Radiation is Next (menright update)

Options
menright
menright Member Posts: 256 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I just finished a CT scan and found that the chemotherapy is shrinking the colon tumor and the spot on the liver. These are good signs. I had hoped they would disappear but I guess that was too much to ask for.

Now I enter a 5-week regimen of daily radiation coupled with Xeloda. This should shrink things down and prepare me for surgery after a month long rest for the body to heal. Wish me luck with the radiation. I have read some scary stories about side effects.

I wonder about the chemo after surgery. It seems very likely to be necessary. How long (6 months?) and which type (Oral or IV) are the questions I have. Any thoughts from those who are NED.

The battle rages on.

Mike

Comments

• MoonDragon
    MoonDragon Member Posts: 183
    Options
    Hi Mike,
    Congrats on the

Hi Mike,

Congrats on the tumor shrinkage!! Even babysteps are milestones! I had surgery first as my colon was perforrated and then chemo and radiation. I started with Xeloda which wasn't good for me and was switched to 5FU/Oxypilatin/Leukovorin and radiation simultaneously. Both the chemo and radiation gave me diahrrea. I did have radiation burns from the rads that was quite severe but Silvadene cream had me back up and running quickly. Seriously, that's some GOOD stuff! I was blistered so badly that I couldn't wear clothes for almost a week. My hubby called the doc, they got me on board with Silvadene and I kid you not, I was able to wear clothes within 2 days and the pain relief was amazing! You may get hit kinda hard with the diahrrea if you're having chemo and radiation at the same time. I ended up on an Opiate based rx's because it was so bad and none of the Lomodil type stuff worked, and that was a huge help so no matter what the side effect, there's something for it.

Good luck to you and hang in there!

Jorie
  • MoonDragon
    Options
    Hi Mike,
    Congrats on the

Hi Mike,

Congrats on the tumor shrinkage!! Even babysteps are milestones! I had surgery first as my colon was perforrated and then chemo and radiation. I started with Xeloda which wasn't good for me and was switched to 5FU/Oxypilatin/Leukovorin and radiation simultaneously. Both the chemo and radiation gave me diahrrea. I did have radiation burns from the rads that was quite severe but Silvadene cream had me back up and running quickly. Seriously, that's some GOOD stuff! I was blistered so badly that I couldn't wear clothes for almost a week. My hubby called the doc, they got me on board with Silvadene and I kid you not, I was able to wear clothes within 2 days and the pain relief was amazing! You may get hit kinda hard with the diahrrea if you're having chemo and radiation at the same time. I ended up on an Opiate based rx's because it was so bad and none of the Lomodil type stuff worked, and that was a huge help so no matter what the side effect, there's something for it.

Good luck to you and hang in there!

Jorie
  • VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    Options
    I agree
    I should have told you before about Silvadene. I started out with a strong Lidacaine cream, but as time went on they added Silvadene. And I lived on Vicodin (I am allergic to anti-inflammatory drugs.) And Sitz Baths...those are the best. My radiation doctor told me to add either Mylanta or Milk of Magnesia to the hot water...boy what a difference! It was like sitting in silk. I didn't have too much diarrhea at first...more constipation. But that changed later as well.

After surgery, I am told I will have 'mop-up' chemo for six months. I can do this.

You can do this also, Mike. Yes, we share the bad side effects. But also know that my tumor is much, much smaller thanks to the radiation/chemo mix I got. Whatever it takes to get Fred outta there, I am up for.

Know that you are cared for and that we are praying for you.

Your bud, Vicki
  • MoonDragon
    Options
    VickiCO said:

I agree
    I should have told you before about Silvadene. I started out with a strong Lidacaine cream, but as time went on they added Silvadene. And I lived on Vicodin (I am allergic to anti-inflammatory drugs.) And Sitz Baths...those are the best. My radiation doctor told me to add either Mylanta or Milk of Magnesia to the hot water...boy what a difference! It was like sitting in silk. I didn't have too much diarrhea at first...more constipation. But that changed later as well.

After surgery, I am told I will have 'mop-up' chemo for six months. I can do this.

You can do this also, Mike. Yes, we share the bad side effects. But also know that my tumor is much, much smaller thanks to the radiation/chemo mix I got. Whatever it takes to get Fred outta there, I am up for.

Know that you are cared for and that we are praying for you.

Your bud, Vicki

???
    Ok, Vicky, I have a stupid question for you. Was the Mylanta or the Milk of Magnesia in the water to help your burns or was it for the diahrrea/constipation? It sounds like a great idea, but I'm not sure what it does???

:)

Jorie
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Good signs
    Mike, I was just thinking about you this morning. Glad to know you're hanging in there! I'm so happy for you that there's been shrinkage. Woohoo!

I don't have anything to offer on the radiaion or chemo questions, but I just want you to know that you continue to be on my prayer list. Take care of you, okay?

*hugs*
    Gail
  • VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    Options

???
    Ok, Vicky, I have a stupid question for you. Was the Mylanta or the Milk of Magnesia in the water to help your burns or was it for the diahrrea/constipation? It sounds like a great idea, but I'm not sure what it does???

:)

Jorie

For the burns
    It constricts the skin and promotes healing - nurses say Mylanta is best (NOT MINT! -OW!!) but I found both to be soothing. Maybe it helped the other issues by osmosis, I don't know. But it was recommended for the burns.

Vicki
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Options
    post op chemo
    Mensright,
    I am doing the post op 6 month regimen as we speak. I will in a week will be starting my 9th of 12. Almost there. I am on 5fu leuk/oxil/...

Honestly, its been nasty, but it has to be done. Why would we go through all we go through and not finish up. The 6 months is an option only you can decide on and its very tempting to say no. In all honesty I went to the Dr yesterday to tell him that I didn't want anymore chemo, I was tired of being sick all the time(nausea) and I wanted to stop. He said OK. He said Im not a cheerleader so its completely your decision. Damn, not even a "aw cmon you can finish" just a blatant up to you . So, I guess what I am saying is that the only cheerleaders you will have in keeping up with the post op regimen are the ones you have in here. I am finishing my last 4 treatments because I don't want to look back and say "I wonder if I had finished " that scares the crap out of me. I also ask him when it was over what was I to do to continue my checkups. He said that there would be no scans or anything. Just simply routine bloodwork to keep a check on CEA. and to monitor anything that looked suspicious. at 3 month intervals for a year then 6 month intervals and so on. up til 5 years then you are considered cancer free. So, I have 2 sessions of chemo 1 Dr followup then 2 more chemo sessions and a follow up and then the ides of March hit......In all honesty the post op chemo is the worst part of it all for me and only because of the nausea. You may be the lucky one that nausea isn't a concern at all. If you are then post op will be easy for you. Just look at it as 1 year of body overhaul and then a remaining life as NED.....Thats your goal bud..its mine also.

Post op preparations...
    Nausea meds...Compazine,Zofran, Anzemet,Emend
    Emotional meds...Flourextine(prozac). It helps to prevent dwelling on what you are going through and gives you the ability to smile again when theres nothing much to smile about...
    Dr Awareness...let him know everything. constipation,nausea,tingling feet or hands,sore throat. They have the meds to take care of it all.
    Most of all don't be afraid to ask questions. Your onc and his assistants will provide you with everything you want to know....But ya gotta ask......God Bless ya bud...You'll do fine...
  • MoonDragon
    Options
    VickiCO said:

For the burns
    It constricts the skin and promotes healing - nurses say Mylanta is best (NOT MINT! -OW!!) but I found both to be soothing. Maybe it helped the other issues by osmosis, I don't know. But it was recommended for the burns.

Vicki

Wow, I wish I'd known about
    Wow, I wish I'd known about that! I had diahrrea so bad I bled and cried every time I went potty, I wonder if the Mylanta around the area on the outside would have nutralized the acid from the diahrrea and made me more comfortable that way too??? Hmmmm something to play around with! Thank you for sharing that!