Hope for numerous lung mets

Options
maggyfrance
maggyfrance Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hello,

I´d like to respond to the "colon cancer went to the lungs" posting. I´m stage 4/liver mets that have been resected. There´s a doctor in Germany, Dr. Axel Rolle, who specializes in removing multiple lung mets and/or deep-seated ones with a special laser specifically created for that purpose.

I live in France and travelled to Germany a few weeks ago for the surgery. Luckily for me, the 1 cm nodule which was located deep in the center of my lung was benign. The doctor was able to cut out this nodule along with two other benign ones without performing a lobectomy or a wedge resection. The laser carefully cuts and closes the site at the same time. The surgery is called "laser lung muscle sparing surgery". I believe that it has recently been approved in Canada and the US is waiting for FDA approval.

I hope this helps.

Good luck and keep the faith.

Comments

• msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    awesome news!
    You Europeans are always blazing the trails for us! We are so slow in getting treatments approved, but when they come, you blessed souls have done all the hard work for us! Good luck with your continued recovery!

P.S if France and Germany aren't in Europe, i am just showing my geographical ignorance!
    mary
  • kmygil
    kmygil Member Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    msccolon said:

awesome news!
    You Europeans are always blazing the trails for us! We are so slow in getting treatments approved, but when they come, you blessed souls have done all the hard work for us! Good luck with your continued recovery!

P.S if France and Germany aren't in Europe, i am just showing my geographical ignorance!
    mary

HAH!
    Just LOL!
  • CherylHutch
    CherylHutch Member Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Thanks for the info!!!
    Thanks, MaggyFrance!! That is wonderful, wonderful news!! Although I'm still a candidate for the RFA procedure and will be getting that done this week for 2 of my nodules that are cancer... I am definitely going to ask my oncologist about this laser lung muscle sparing surgery... in case we need it down the road :)

Thanks for the great news... and congratulations on your results!!

Huggggs,

Cheryl
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Options

Thanks for the info!!!
    Thanks, MaggyFrance!! That is wonderful, wonderful news!! Although I'm still a candidate for the RFA procedure and will be getting that done this week for 2 of my nodules that are cancer... I am definitely going to ask my oncologist about this laser lung muscle sparing surgery... in case we need it down the road :)

Huggggs,

Cheryl

size of nodules for having RFA
    Hi Cheryl,

What are the sizes of the nodules you're having RFA on? I have several in my lungs and all are, thankfully, under 1 cm. I was already told I'm not a candidate for cyberknife on them due to their small size. I'm currently doing chemo, but wonder if RFA is something to consider or not worth it with the small size. Let me know what you know about RFA requirements. Also, do you stay in the hospital for RFA? You can see, obviously, I'm ignorant on this procedure.

Thanks in advance,
    Lisa
  • maggyfrance
    maggyfrance Member Posts: 3
    Options

Thanks for the info!!!

Huggggs,

Cheryl

Thanks and good luck with your procedure Cheryl.
    Is RFA the traditional procedure or something else?

I'm currently recovering and I'll keep you in my prayers. Whatever the surgery it's still a journey. Be strong.

Maggy
  • feniks
    feniks Member Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm new on this forum but been on another forums for the past year.This morning i read about this laser and told to my wife this is good if it's true.She is dx in april 2008,with rectal cancer and mets to the lungs,who's wiped with FOLFOX6+avastin.Now they are back and we are so worried.She now taking Tomudex,not approved in the USA,hope it's work.Did he realy cost 16000 euros?We also live in Europe,Czech republic.
  • rayjay
    rayjay Member Posts: 5
    Options
    feniks said:

I'm new on this forum but been on another forums for the past year.This morning i read about this laser and told to my wife this is good if it's true.She is dx in april 2008,with rectal cancer and mets to the lungs,who's wiped with FOLFOX6+avastin.Now they are back and we are so worried.She now taking Tomudex,not approved in the USA,hope it's work.Did he realy cost 16000 euros?We also live in Europe,Czech republic.

colorectal metastasized to lungs
    Oct 07 my wife started chemo and radiation to shrink 4.5 cm rectal tumor. Resection with ileostomy in Jan 08, followed by chemo again and then ileostomy reversal in Aug 08. (wish it had never been reversed)
    Now we are told it has metastasized to both lungs and cannot be operated on. Largest nodule is 1.5 cm.
    She is going to have a port a cath put in this week and begin chemo on April 14 for 3 to 6 months. 5fu plus Avastin I think they are called. We were told there is no cure in her situation.
    Chemo Dr said think in terms of years, not months, but wouldn't say how many years may be possible, like 2 or 5 or ??.
    Is there somewhere here or elsewhere on the internet that I can find out an average survival time so I can try to plan doing things she has wanted to do, but now we'll have to do before it advances too far.
    I am closing my business in April to be with her through this misfortune.
  • feniks
    feniks Member Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    rayjay said:

Oct 07 my wife started chemo and radiation to shrink 4.5 cm rectal tumor. Resection with ileostomy in Jan 08, followed by chemo again and then ileostomy reversal in Aug 08. (wish it had never been reversed)
    Now we are told it has metastasized to both lungs and cannot be operated on. Largest nodule is 1.5 cm.
    She is going to have a port a cath put in this week and begin chemo on April 14 for 3 to 6 months. 5fu plus Avastin I think they are called. We were told there is no cure in her situation.
    Chemo Dr said think in terms of years, not months, but wouldn't say how many years may be possible, like 2 or 5 or ??.
    Is there somewhere here or elsewhere on the internet that I can find out an average survival time so I can try to plan doing things she has wanted to do, but now we'll have to do before it advances too far.

?
    Nobody knowns what is going to happen.Chemo could do a miracle.Don't lose hope and look for average survival time.My advice if you can go and see another onc.
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    rayjay said:

time?
    Nobody knows how much time we have and I think you would be doing yourself and your wife a great disservice if you decided to put your lives on hold in case she lives for another 10+ years! The advancements in our treatment is moving so fast, did you hear about the tissue regeneration study being done at Wake Forest Hospital, where they are regenerating entire organs from just a few of the person's own cells? Admittedly nobody is ever heard on their deathbed wishing they had spent more time at the office, but there has to be a balance between preparing for death and living! Death is a human state, we will all die at some point, but to live your life only in preparation of that day is a horrible waste of energy and love. Back away from your computer if you are looking for statistics on how long your wife will live!!!!! Statistics by their definition are dated by the time they become published; your wife, along with the rest of us, is becoming part of future statistics, and we hope to be responsible for making those statistics much more user friendly! Live today as if it is your last, but don't burn your bridges! Love your wife, enjoy the time you guys have together, and who knows, she may outlive you!
    mary