back to colon after liver mets??

Options
maglets
maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Just to re-cap I was Stage 3 of transverse colon in 2005,lymph nodes invovlement, surgery and 5FU. In 2006 I had 7 liver mets and a huge re-section with 8 months of xeloda. Sept 2008 another liver met, another smaller liver re-section. I was to start xeloda plus oxi on Tues.....thought I would be with you Cheryl but the onc called for bone scan and yet another colonoscopy....chemo will have to wait. Two questions???

has anyone experienced re-occurence in colon after twice in liver????

should I have asked for a port for the oxy....i have nothing

Thanks, Mags
hurry up and wait

Comments

  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    From what i've read, it's very rare for colon cancer to recur in the colon. Usually it spreads to other organs/places. But, i like that your onc is wanting to be extra sure; get the scans so you can breathe easier.
    mary
  • maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member
    Options
    msccolon said:

    From what i've read, it's very rare for colon cancer to recur in the colon. Usually it spreads to other organs/places. But, i like that your onc is wanting to be extra sure; get the scans so you can breathe easier.
    mary

    thanks
    oh thank you for saying that Mary....the surgeon I saw yesterday said he really wasn't too worried....easy for him to say. When we asked what he would do if he found a lesion....he just said...please don't ask that question....it would change everything.

    I got a colonoscopy booked for next Friday the 23rd....the bone scan came back Normal.

    In Sept before the liver resection I had a PET scan....we were told that the PET would not show anything happening in the colon but then the surgeon yesterday said that's not true...a PET scan will detect something in the colon...

    I don't know...just keep truckin on I guess

    Mags
  • angelsbaby
    angelsbaby Member Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    maglets said:

    thanks
    oh thank you for saying that Mary....the surgeon I saw yesterday said he really wasn't too worried....easy for him to say. When we asked what he would do if he found a lesion....he just said...please don't ask that question....it would change everything.

    I got a colonoscopy booked for next Friday the 23rd....the bone scan came back Normal.

    In Sept before the liver resection I had a PET scan....we were told that the PET would not show anything happening in the colon but then the surgeon yesterday said that's not true...a PET scan will detect something in the colon...

    I don't know...just keep truckin on I guess

    Mags

    my husband too
    He had a tumor in the asending colon resection done chemo mets to the stomach liver and kidney and new tumor in the transvese area now. wasn;t there during first resection it appeared two months after chemo stopped.

    michelle
  • VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    Options
    I am no expert...
    I have rectal cancer. My doctor told me that colon cancer usually spreads to other organs, but rectal cancer can recur in the same spot. But I am having that spot cut out, so not much chance...especially with more chemo after.

    Good luck!

    Vicki
  • kmygil
    kmygil Member Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Hi Mags,

    From what I have read, recurrence does not seem to recur that often in the colon--it usually goes somewhere else to make your life difficult. I wouldn't worry too much about that aspect of things; it's the nomadic nature of colon cancer that is worrysome. I like the fact that your doctor is being so meticulous. A lot of doctors aren't to the detriment of their patients. We'll keep praying and sending hugs your way.

    Kirsten
  • maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member
    Options
    kmygil said:

    Hi Mags,

    From what I have read, recurrence does not seem to recur that often in the colon--it usually goes somewhere else to make your life difficult. I wouldn't worry too much about that aspect of things; it's the nomadic nature of colon cancer that is worrysome. I like the fact that your doctor is being so meticulous. A lot of doctors aren't to the detriment of their patients. We'll keep praying and sending hugs your way.

    Kirsten

    thanks again
    ahhhh thanks you guys. You would think after four solid years of fighting the beast I would be getting the hang of it....;.not so....every re-occurence is like starting over. I liked the the discussion of chemo and the smells and all the reminders that can bring the fear and nausea all back....it is so true....

    ever since the surgery in Nov I have been anticipating the new chemo with not much enthusiasm....lately I have been working on imagining the infusion as a very positive step..

    thanks for the hugs and right back at you
    mags
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    maglets said:

    thanks again
    ahhhh thanks you guys. You would think after four solid years of fighting the beast I would be getting the hang of it....;.not so....every re-occurence is like starting over. I liked the the discussion of chemo and the smells and all the reminders that can bring the fear and nausea all back....it is so true....

    ever since the surgery in Nov I have been anticipating the new chemo with not much enthusiasm....lately I have been working on imagining the infusion as a very positive step..

    thanks for the hugs and right back at you
    mags

    subsequent chemo not as bad
    I found that subsequent chemo wasn't nearly as bad as my first experience. Don't know if it was a little of knowing that I survived the first time around (yea, am I the only one positive I was just going to croak off at any second, no real reason, but i DID have cancer?!!), knowing that since it recurred it was a battle for my life instead of maybe unnecessary, wisdom from past experience, or a combination of all! Besides, our battle scars only prove to make us stronger and more determined to stare the beast down and let it know it's NOT GOING TO WIN!!!!!
    mary
  • MoonDragon
    MoonDragon Member Posts: 183
    Options
    VickiCO said:

    I am no expert...
    I have rectal cancer. My doctor told me that colon cancer usually spreads to other organs, but rectal cancer can recur in the same spot. But I am having that spot cut out, so not much chance...especially with more chemo after.

    Good luck!

    Vicki

    Ya Got Me
    I had rectal cancer in 2000 and had a resection. It occurred again in the very same place as the incision from the first resection in 2007 so then they called it colon cancer as the part where the incision is was actually further up the colon at one time. I don't know what to think. I've also had Gallbladder cancer which is supposed to be rare. The cancer was on the inside so my oncologist said it wasn't a met. Usually the Gallbladder is fed from the Liver and cancer would come from there but my scans haven't shown any activity. It'll be interesting to see what shows up at a later date.....hopefully nothing!!

    Hang in there!

    Jorie
  • dixchi
    dixchi Member Posts: 431
    Options
    sharing
    Just to compare notes: I was diangosed with colon CA in 2004 at stage 2, no lymph node involvement; no chemo recommended as a result. In 2008, I was found to have a large tumor
    on my liver which required resection. I also was put on Folfox, a combination of oxilaplatin,
    leucovorin, 5FU, avastin for 12 treatments. I had four treatments before surgery and 8 after surgery. Just finished my last treatment on Dec. 9 and since my CEA was back below 2 which
    is considered normal for me and the CT and PET Scans showed no other tumors, the chemo was
    stopped. This month I go in for a CEA check and port flush. By the way, as much as I dreaded
    getting a port I have found it to be problem free and completely comfortable, maybe more so
    for getting infusion treatment over a 46 hour period which my chemo was. Now the protocol
    will be getting a CT scan every two months and continuous CEA check. I go in on Tuesday
    so anxiety prevails until I hear what the CEA count is. The surgeon and the oncologist are
    not on same page as to how many CT scans; surgeon says every three months and onc says evry
    two months; any which way, they are keeping a very close eye on me and I am happy with that.
    On smells I did notice a strong odor in my bathroom when I was on the 46 hour infusion and
    I have also noticed a stronger body odor even now since chemo; I did not notice it so much
    in the treatment room. Am looking for a new deodorant since my current one smells too
    much like the chemo odor, lol.
  • maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member
    Options
    dixchi said:

    sharing
    Just to compare notes: I was diangosed with colon CA in 2004 at stage 2, no lymph node involvement; no chemo recommended as a result. In 2008, I was found to have a large tumor
    on my liver which required resection. I also was put on Folfox, a combination of oxilaplatin,
    leucovorin, 5FU, avastin for 12 treatments. I had four treatments before surgery and 8 after surgery. Just finished my last treatment on Dec. 9 and since my CEA was back below 2 which
    is considered normal for me and the CT and PET Scans showed no other tumors, the chemo was
    stopped. This month I go in for a CEA check and port flush. By the way, as much as I dreaded
    getting a port I have found it to be problem free and completely comfortable, maybe more so
    for getting infusion treatment over a 46 hour period which my chemo was. Now the protocol
    will be getting a CT scan every two months and continuous CEA check. I go in on Tuesday
    so anxiety prevails until I hear what the CEA count is. The surgeon and the oncologist are
    not on same page as to how many CT scans; surgeon says every three months and onc says evry
    two months; any which way, they are keeping a very close eye on me and I am happy with that.
    On smells I did notice a strong odor in my bathroom when I was on the 46 hour infusion and
    I have also noticed a stronger body odor even now since chemo; I did not notice it so much
    in the treatment room. Am looking for a new deodorant since my current one smells too
    much like the chemo odor, lol.

    protocol
    I was on CEA every three months and then 3 mos after that a CT scan so it was a 6 month rotation...my CEA moved up to about 4 before the second liver resection and then the radiologist could see the liver lesion.I was nervous every single time. I think the bathroom has a funny smell since the liver resection too.:) In Canada we have to pay for PET scans but the CEA and CT scans are covered.
    Thanks for sharing....
    Mags
  • dixchi
    dixchi Member Posts: 431
    Options
    maglets said:

    protocol
    I was on CEA every three months and then 3 mos after that a CT scan so it was a 6 month rotation...my CEA moved up to about 4 before the second liver resection and then the radiologist could see the liver lesion.I was nervous every single time. I think the bathroom has a funny smell since the liver resection too.:) In Canada we have to pay for PET scans but the CEA and CT scans are covered.
    Thanks for sharing....
    Mags

    Insurance
    I am 67 and am on Medicare and have through my job retirement supplemental insurance which
    covers what Medicare doesn't with about a $1000 in copay and deductible that I have to pay.
    It is going to be interesting what our new President does in any overhaul of Medicare and
    Social Security, hope it is better and not worse. My supplemental insurance has a cap of
    $3 million and with colon cancer being recurrent, I hope I don't run out of supplemental,
    (a small laugh here)! Read recently that Medicare covers about 1.5 million people who
    have cancer which has got to be a major financial drain since the treatments are so expensive.
    Both PET scans and CT scans are covered. So far I feel fortunte in the coverage that I have.
    Ca is not an inexpensive disease.
  • CherylHutch
    CherylHutch Member Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    maglets said:

    protocol
    I was on CEA every three months and then 3 mos after that a CT scan so it was a 6 month rotation...my CEA moved up to about 4 before the second liver resection and then the radiologist could see the liver lesion.I was nervous every single time. I think the bathroom has a funny smell since the liver resection too.:) In Canada we have to pay for PET scans but the CEA and CT scans are covered.
    Thanks for sharing....
    Mags

    Pay in Canada?
    Mags... where are you again (I know you've told me) that you have to pay for PET scans? I'm in Vancouver and I get my PET scans done right at BCCA (BC Cancer Agency) and I don't have to pay for them. I'm not sure if the payment is covered by my BC Medical Insurance or by the Cancer Agency.... I'm thinking since I have them done at the Cancer Agency, they are paying for them.

    Hugggggs,

    Cheryl