Lynch Syndrome

deanna14
deanna14 Member Posts: 732
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Are any of you familiar with Lynch syndrome? If so, please share your experience.

Comments

• JoanC
    JoanC Member Posts: 231
    Lynch Syndrome
    Hi Deanna,
    I just came across this ,,,maybe it will help.
    Hereditary nonpolyposis colon cancer: There are 4 different genes involved in this syndrome. They are called MLH1, MSH2, MSH6, and PMS2. An abnormal copy of any one of these genes reduces the body's ability to repair damage to its DNA. This results in a very high risk of colon cancer. Women with this syndrome also have an increased risk of developing cancer of the uterus (endometrial cancer) and ovarian cancer. The lifetime risk of ovarian cancer in women with hereditary nonpolyposis colon cancer (HNPCC) is about 10%. This syndrome causes up to 1% of all ovarian epithelial cancers. An older name for HNPCC is Lynch syndrome.

(((Hugs))))
    Joan
  • deanna14
    JoanC said:

Lynch Syndrome
    Hi Deanna,
    I just came across this ,,,maybe it will help.
    Hereditary nonpolyposis colon cancer: There are 4 different genes involved in this syndrome. They are called MLH1, MSH2, MSH6, and PMS2. An abnormal copy of any one of these genes reduces the body's ability to repair damage to its DNA. This results in a very high risk of colon cancer. Women with this syndrome also have an increased risk of developing cancer of the uterus (endometrial cancer) and ovarian cancer. The lifetime risk of ovarian cancer in women with hereditary nonpolyposis colon cancer (HNPCC) is about 10%. This syndrome causes up to 1% of all ovarian epithelial cancers. An older name for HNPCC is Lynch syndrome.

(((Hugs))))
    Joan

Thank you.
    Thank you for the information. I was diagnosed in July with Stage III Endometrial cancer with mixed serous papillary cancer, mets to one pelvic lymph node. Do you mind sharing where you found this information. They are going to refer me to a genetic counselor at some point. I finished radiation in December and start chemotherapy tomorrow. I don't have any biological children, but would like to be able to find any information I can to share with my nieces and nephews. Thanks again.
  • JoanC
    JoanC Member Posts: 231
    deanna14 said:

Thank you.
    Thank you for the information. I was diagnosed in July with Stage III Endometrial cancer with mixed serous papillary cancer, mets to one pelvic lymph node. Do you mind sharing where you found this information. They are going to refer me to a genetic counselor at some point. I finished radiation in December and start chemotherapy tomorrow. I don't have any biological children, but would like to be able to find any information I can to share with my nieces and nephews. Thanks again.

Lynch Syndrome
    Deanna,
    click on cancer info then Stories of hope then Medical updates thenon right side of page you can enter ovarian caner then prevention and early detection and finally "Do we know what causes Ovarian Cancer...half way down the article is the info I sent you.
    OR you can try copy and paste the link below.
    Hope this helps
    (((Hugs)))
    Joan

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/CRI/content/CRI_2_4_2X_Do_we_know_what_causes_ovarian_cancer_33.asp?sitearea=
  • deanna14
    Thank you Joan!
    Thank you, I will try to find that later this evening. I am off to have a port a cath placed and have my first chemotherapy treatment today. I'm ready to get it started!
  • BonnieR
    BonnieR Member Posts: 1,526 Member
    deanna14 said:

Thank you Joan!
    Thank you, I will try to find that later this evening. I am off to have a port a cath placed and have my first chemotherapy treatment today. I'm ready to get it started!

Hugs N Prayers
    Dear Deanna, pray all went well and you have minimal, if any, side affects. Hugs Bonnie
  • deanna14
    BonnieR said:

Hugs N Prayers
    Dear Deanna, pray all went well and you have minimal, if any, side affects. Hugs Bonnie

Thank you Bonnie.
    Had my port placed yesterday that went straight to chmeo which well. They were able to use it for my chemo. I slept through most of my treatment and I am still having difficulty staying awake when I sit down. I guess it is the benadryl that I am taking for the flushing.
    Prayers back to you Bonnie and I hope this finds you feeling well. God Bless you.
    Denaan
  • LPack
    LPack Member Posts: 645
    deanna14 said:

Thank you Bonnie.
    Had my port placed yesterday that went straight to chmeo which well. They were able to use it for my chemo. I slept through most of my treatment and I am still having difficulty staying awake when I sit down. I guess it is the benadryl that I am taking for the flushing.
    Prayers back to you Bonnie and I hope this finds you feeling well. God Bless you.
    Denaan

benadryl
    Denaan,

That benadryl is pretty potent. I felt like I was being put under the first time the administered through my port. I scared the nurse! And each time after I thought I would be visiting, reading, etc. during chemo but I was pretty drowsy everytime.

Everything sounds good for you. Will keep up the prayers.

Teal hugs, prayers and smiles.

Libby