Lobular insitu cells found in remaining breast-should I have a mastectomy?

Options
sbraysusan
sbraysusan Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have had a mastectomy in my right breast and at the time of surgery(11/07) there were lobular in situ cells found in my left breast. I have since had chemotherapy and I am now on arimidex. I have chosen to carefully monitor my right breast with mammograms and MRIs but somehow I feel at times like my left breast is a ticking time bomb and that I should be more aggressive and just have a mastectomy. My oncologist says it is my decision and that he would not advise me either way. Somehow that does not put my mind at ease. Does anyone out there have an opinion on the subject?

Comments

• young_one
    young_one Member Posts: 67
    Options
    Well, it is a personal
    Well, it is a personal decision and you will find many opinions on the subject. I had both sides done at the same time because I knew I would feel exactly how you feel right now. I didn't have any cancer in the other breast but I couldn't stand the stress of worrying about the right one when the left one had tried to kill me. I will tell you this, I don't regret my decision one bit. I wouldn't change any of it. But you will find women who had one done that will tell you the same thing. It all depends on your level of comfort, your body image, your phase of life, and your stress level over the remaining breast. Another survivor I know has a way of making these kind of decisions. She sits quietly in a quiet place, closes her eyes and says aloud the choices that she has one at a time. She says that usually her body will tell her the right answer. She will "feel" the calm when she says the one that is right for her. I haven't ever tried it but it works for her.
  • sbraysusan
    sbraysusan Member Posts: 3
    Options
    young_one said:

Well, it is a personal
    Well, it is a personal decision and you will find many opinions on the subject. I had both sides done at the same time because I knew I would feel exactly how you feel right now. I didn't have any cancer in the other breast but I couldn't stand the stress of worrying about the right one when the left one had tried to kill me. I will tell you this, I don't regret my decision one bit. I wouldn't change any of it. But you will find women who had one done that will tell you the same thing. It all depends on your level of comfort, your body image, your phase of life, and your stress level over the remaining breast. Another survivor I know has a way of making these kind of decisions. She sits quietly in a quiet place, closes her eyes and says aloud the choices that she has one at a time. She says that usually her body will tell her the right answer. She will "feel" the calm when she says the one that is right for her. I haven't ever tried it but it works for her.

Thank you so much for your quick reply and thoughtful response. I will try as you suggested what works for your friend. As I find myself wondering about it more and I guess stressing about it, I think in my heart I know the answer, but maybe I am afraid. But then again, at this point, I have dealt with much and I know that I am strong and have the support of many(including my wonderful husband) that will see me through anything.
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    This is a decision that only
    This is a decision that only you can make but I personally would opt for peace of mind. Only you can make the decision that will give you that. Hugs, Lili