PLEASE EXPLAIN THE DIFFERENCE IN

Options
captainhop
captainhop Member Posts: 156
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Oh my, I am really confused now....Could someone please explain to me the difference between a Colostomy and an Ileostomy?

Thanks in advance,
Marygale

Comments

• msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    easy one!
    colostomy originates from the large colon, ileostomy originates from the small intestine. The stool is much looser in the small intestine.
    mary
  • captainhop
    Options
    msccolon said:

easy one!
    colostomy originates from the large colon, ileostomy originates from the small intestine. The stool is much looser in the small intestine.
    mary

EASY ONE
    Thanks, Mary. That's simple enough. I'll remember it that way.

Marygale
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Options

EASY ONE
    Thanks, Mary. That's simple enough. I'll remember it that way.

Marygale

Different ostomies
    As it progresses from the stomach to the rectum the small intestine takes most of the minerals and good stuff and moisture. The large intestine or colons business is mostly to complete in the stool making process by removing mostly all moisture from the stool. That is the reason that dependent on where the ostomy is depends on the type of prosthesis you use. An ostomy bag is actually considered a prosthesis.
  • captainhop
    Options
    Buzzard said:

Different ostomies
    As it progresses from the stomach to the rectum the small intestine takes most of the minerals and good stuff and moisture. The large intestine or colons business is mostly to complete in the stool making process by removing mostly all moisture from the stool. That is the reason that dependent on where the ostomy is depends on the type of prosthesis you use. An ostomy bag is actually considered a prosthesis.

DIFFERENT OSTOMIES
    Thank you, Buzzard, for explaining. Appreciate it.

Marygale