Ordering replacement parts.

Options
tasha_111
tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Where do I start looking to replace the pair of rolled up socks that have been living in my bra? Prosthesis? is that the right name for 'Falsies'? Becoming uncomfortable and running out of socks! Any help much appreciated. Julia

Comments

• mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    Julia, google prosthesis and
    Julia, google prosthesis and see what comes up. There should be a store that sells them. You can also check a lingerie store, they may have some. Hugs, Lili
  • zahalene
    zahalene Member Posts: 670
    Options
    lol...tash....'replacement parts'....
    Many of the department stores we are familiar with (Sears, JC Penney, etc.) have prosthesis available but we have to ask to see their specialty catalogs and then order, as they probably aren't going to have them in stock.
    Also, call any 'undies' store (can't spell that fancy word....lol) in your area and ask if they can order mastectomy products for you.
    You are going to want one or two special bras to hold the prosthesis too if you don't already have them. A regular bra can't hang on to a prosthesis unless you do a lot of pinning or sewing.
    You are going to encounter different kinds of prosthesis....everything from foam inserts to 'natural' ones that attach gently to the skin. I wouldn't jump right in to the expensive types at first. I bought 2 pricey silicone ones which now permanently reside in my undies drawer. :( I eventually found mid-range ones that work better for me. Also check with the ACS in your area. They help with the cost of prosthesis and mastectomy bras.
    Hugs.
  • Wibby
    Wibby Member Posts: 27
    Options
    Ask Onc. or Surgeon for a Prescription
    When I was ready to get a prosthesis, I asked my surgeon where to get one. He said that I wasn't ready yet and that he would write me a prescription when I was. The next week I had chemo and asked my onc about a prescription. She was very surprised that my surgeon didn't think that I was ready so wrote me a prescription. The next day I went to a hospital pharmacy in my area and was able to get a prosthesis and two mastectomy bras through my insurance. The pharmacy has a woman who "fits" bc survivors with prostheses. She was wonderful. I've never had a bra fit so well! It took me a while to get used to wearing a bra again as I'm very tiny and was ok with loose shirts and no bra. However, I wear it full time now and wear tight-fitting shirts with no hesitation. I tried knitting a few prostheses using a pattern for "knit *its" I found on line. I couldn't seem to get the size right and when I did, I didn't find them as comfortable as the silicone one. I don't even know it's there most of the time. The other thing I like about the silicone prosthesis is that if someone accidentally brushes up against me, it feels like the real thing!

Good luck with your search!
    Libby
  • sylviaw
    sylviaw Member Posts: 19
    Options
    socks
    So sorry you have not had some good support on finding what you need. The other posts are right about recommendations from your surgeon. However, missing that, try www.maddoxshop.com, they are in Dallas and ship anywhere. They filed for my insurance and the check was sent to me directly. However, you do have to pay up front with them and they are not cheap, about $380.00. You might be able to find someone who will bill them directly and not require payment first, but I could not. Hugs from me.
  • tasha_111
    Options
    sylviaw said:

socks
    So sorry you have not had some good support on finding what you need. The other posts are right about recommendations from your surgeon. However, missing that, try www.maddoxshop.com, they are in Dallas and ship anywhere. They filed for my insurance and the check was sent to me directly. However, you do have to pay up front with them and they are not cheap, about $380.00. You might be able to find someone who will bill them directly and not require payment first, but I could not. Hugs from me.

Socks
    Hi and thank you for all your helpful suggestions. I will try to get in touch with the Canadian cancer society on monday..and ask my doc when I see him wednesday (forget the onco, Mr. Charisma-Bypass Does NOT answer questions...LOL) I'll either give you a success story or be back on here begging for socks.. Thanks again all.. julia X
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Here's another option
    The American Cancer Society has a free catalog of items sold by "TLC". They have bras, prostheses, swim suits, surgery camisoles, wigs, hats........Look on the website and order the free catalog. Your Chemo nurses or Oncologist may have good options too, as well as the suggestions you already from the other posts.

best wishes, seof
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Doctors!
    It continues to amaze me that some surgeons think their job is done if they just do surgery on a women and don't provide information on how to live afterward! (You are not the first to have such a concern. It is altogether too common in my hometown.) There are lots of places actually to buy protheses and mastectomy bras. You can wear a regular prothesis as soon as your stitches heal and the swelling is down--usually about a month after surgery, but the surgeon can tell you for sure. Don't worry about embarrassing him. Ask if you aren't sure. Getting fitted for the right size bra is very important. Many women have never been fitted and wear the wrong size. Mastectomy bras have to hold up the prosthesis, so they have to be snug. That's the way bras are supposed to be: snug, not tight. But many women wear a bra that is too loose. I was used to a loose bra before I had surgery. The boutique that carried nothing but cancer products had a fitter that measured me with a tape measure and helped me find the right size and shape prothesis. Breasts vary in both shape and size. Larger women and folks with bad backs or sore necks often need lighter prostheses. Some are foam filled and some are totally foam. Some are actually filled with air. I am built small and love my solid silicone model. It tends to look very natural. When I weighed more, I needed a separate hollow back type for swimming. It didn't sag in my suit.

To find a special boutique where you could be fitted, you could try calling a nearby breast cancer clinic. Nearby might mean within a hundred miles. You could put the words "mastectomy bra"+ the name of your state in a search engine and look for the right store yourself. You could call a medical supply store in your area. If they sell wheelchairs, bedpans, and nebulizers, they may also sell mastectomy bras and be able to order prostheses. Some of those stores have a fitter. Some don't. Unfortunately, they aren't usually "women centered" places and their selection is very limited. It's finding your right size that is most important. You can order protheses and bras over the internet yourself once you know your size. I often mail-order from Jodee's. They don't have a website, but their operators are most helpful and they will send you a catalog free of charge. I just noticed that it says they will help you find a local dealer that could fit you. Their number is 1-800-821-2767. The bras range from 19.99 for a lounge bra to around 40.00 for a large variety of bras. The cheapest option for a prosthesis is a lounge pad (6.99) that you fill with polyester fiberfill. It is great after surgery, but you sound ready for a "real" one. Their catalog shows many options and they vary in price from under 100 to about 350. If you have insurance, it will probably pick up a lot of the cost of one prosthesis and two or more bras. Insurance will replace them every few years too. You will have to check your coverage to see what they will do. You may need to have your surgeon write out a prescription for what you need. But start shopping now and calling your insurance agent. Good luck!

C. Abbott
  • tasha_111
    Options
    cabbott said:

Doctors!
    It continues to amaze me that some surgeons think their job is done if they just do surgery on a women and don't provide information on how to live afterward! (You are not the first to have such a concern. It is altogether too common in my hometown.) There are lots of places actually to buy protheses and mastectomy bras. You can wear a regular prothesis as soon as your stitches heal and the swelling is down--usually about a month after surgery, but the surgeon can tell you for sure. Don't worry about embarrassing him. Ask if you aren't sure. Getting fitted for the right size bra is very important. Many women have never been fitted and wear the wrong size. Mastectomy bras have to hold up the prosthesis, so they have to be snug. That's the way bras are supposed to be: snug, not tight. But many women wear a bra that is too loose. I was used to a loose bra before I had surgery. The boutique that carried nothing but cancer products had a fitter that measured me with a tape measure and helped me find the right size and shape prothesis. Breasts vary in both shape and size. Larger women and folks with bad backs or sore necks often need lighter prostheses. Some are foam filled and some are totally foam. Some are actually filled with air. I am built small and love my solid silicone model. It tends to look very natural. When I weighed more, I needed a separate hollow back type for swimming. It didn't sag in my suit.

To find a special boutique where you could be fitted, you could try calling a nearby breast cancer clinic. Nearby might mean within a hundred miles. You could put the words "mastectomy bra"+ the name of your state in a search engine and look for the right store yourself. You could call a medical supply store in your area. If they sell wheelchairs, bedpans, and nebulizers, they may also sell mastectomy bras and be able to order prostheses. Some of those stores have a fitter. Some don't. Unfortunately, they aren't usually "women centered" places and their selection is very limited. It's finding your right size that is most important. You can order protheses and bras over the internet yourself once you know your size. I often mail-order from Jodee's. They don't have a website, but their operators are most helpful and they will send you a catalog free of charge. I just noticed that it says they will help you find a local dealer that could fit you. Their number is 1-800-821-2767. The bras range from 19.99 for a lounge bra to around 40.00 for a large variety of bras. The cheapest option for a prosthesis is a lounge pad (6.99) that you fill with polyester fiberfill. It is great after surgery, but you sound ready for a "real" one. Their catalog shows many options and they vary in price from under 100 to about 350. If you have insurance, it will probably pick up a lot of the cost of one prosthesis and two or more bras. Insurance will replace them every few years too. You will have to check your coverage to see what they will do. You may need to have your surgeon write out a prescription for what you need. But start shopping now and calling your insurance agent. Good luck!

C. Abbott

No further questions M'lud
    Wow Thank you all for such help. I'll start tomorrow with the suggested "Victims" lol. Cabbot, I have heard about your thoroughness but you covered everything! Thank you all again.. julia
  • Aortus
    Aortus Member Posts: 967
    Options
    tasha_111 said:

No further questions M'lud
    Wow Thank you all for such help. I'll start tomorrow with the suggested "Victims" lol. Cabbot, I have heard about your thoroughness but you covered everything! Thank you all again.. julia

Just showed this to wife Moopy
    Moopy was just wondering aloud (her mastectomy was 11/24/08) when she should start doing the bra/prosthesis thing, so I showed her this thread. Not so much for her to read it, but for her to know that when she had questions, she could get some thorough answers from women who had been there already. She was very impressed!

Joe
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    Aortus said:

Just showed this to wife Moopy
    Moopy was just wondering aloud (her mastectomy was 11/24/08) when she should start doing the bra/prosthesis thing, so I showed her this thread. Not so much for her to read it, but for her to know that when she had questions, she could get some thorough answers from women who had been there already. She was very impressed!

Joe

Hi Joe, please tell Moopy
    Hi Joe, please tell Moopy that usually 6 weeks after the mastectomy the surgeon should give her a precription for a prosthesis and mastectomy bra. I went to Nordstroms where I was fitted for bras and the prosthesis and was covered 100% by my insurance because Nordstrom was in network. Also, if she is small breasted, she should get a light weight one otherwise it will be too heavy for her shoulder. Hope this helps, Hugs, Lili