Femara and Glucosamine

Derbygirl
Derbygirl Member Posts: 198
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I started taking Femara a couple of weeks ago. Oncologist recommended that I also take Calcium + Vit D (have been taking this for 15 years) and Glucosamine/Chondroitin twice a day due to the possible side effects of muscle/bone aches and osteoporosis. There are so many choices for Glucosamine. Double strength, triple stength, sulfate, with Vitamin C, and so forth. Interested in your advice or recommendation on Glucosamine.

Comments

• Chellebug
    Chellebug Member Posts: 133
    I don't know
    I don't know what the dosage should be, but I think it's great that your oncologist is looking at the whole picture for you. You could call your onc to find out what dosage he/she recommmends? or you could ask the people at a health food/supplement store?
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Chellebug said:

I don't know
    I don't know what the dosage should be, but I think it's great that your oncologist is looking at the whole picture for you. You could call your onc to find out what dosage he/she recommmends? or you could ask the people at a health food/supplement store?

I haven't heard anyone
    I haven't heard anyone mention glucosamine on this site, but that doesn't mean no one is taking it. If you don't hear from anyone here try this page I pulled up for you.

http://community.breastcancer.org/posts/search?criteria=+glucosamine+joint+pain&author=&source=forum_78&date_range=6MONTHS&commit=Search

Someone here has mentioned that low vit d levels can cause joint pain when on AI's, it probably would be good to get that checked just to be sure you're in the normal range.
    I'm taking 2000IU/day and my levels are in the low normals.

Good luck to you
    jan
  • mgm42
    mgm42 Member Posts: 491 Member
    Joint Pain
    My onc told me that if I started to experience joint pain, she would recommend glucosimine/chrontdroitin. So far, my dexascan shows normal and the only discomfort I have is in my wrist and fingers, but no big deal, so I haven't talked to her about starting more supplements. Good luck. Hugs Marilynn