Hello from Holland!

Options
KathiM
KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
We (I) installed our new high-speed internet today (Sunday afternoon...lol). I LOVE it that I am connected!!!

As I have shared, I wasn't looking forward to this trip...so many memories from when my beau's mom was alive...

Our trip was good...when I checked in the night before, I changed seats...to seats in Business Class!!!! At no charge!!! It seems that KLM had moved all 'paying' customers to first class, and gave away the 10 seats (complete with fully reclining backs...) to a few of us lucky coach fliers. "Merry Christmas" we were greeted with..."And you all get the big seats this flight!". It was grand to have my own viewer (Watched movies, played video games...) and a true 'bed' to sleep on. The blankets were plush, I LOVED it!!! AND a window seat (each row only has 2 seats on each side of the plane). The ride was a bit bumpy, but I had many distractions, so it was O.K. On our descent to Amsterdam, I looked out to see a glorious day, sunny but VERY cold (30 degrees F). Then I looked down. There, in a field, the leftover crop had been sculpted to say "Welcom t'huis". I started crying...this means "Welcome Home" in dutch. We deplaned, breezed thru customs and the baggage area, and stepped almost immediately onto a train that whisk us to our destination. There, the caretaker for the house was waiting, arms open. We got to the house, and, instead of the lonely walk up the path to the door that I expected, there sat a dog and our housekeeper...with the door open and smiles all around, and tea and goodies waiting.

Tomorrow is fireworks buying (one BIG mat of firecrackers for all of you to chase away the bad spirits of 2008), and long walks in a beautiful park nearby. There are promises of ice for skating, and maybe even snow in the new year!!! We have our skates...wouldn't that be a hoot, ME on ICE SKATES!!!

I am wishing you all a very happy new year, and rest from the hassles this beast brings.

Hugs and Kisses,

Kathi

Comments

• CherylHutch
    CherylHutch Member Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Holland
    Wow Kathi!! I knew you had planned your last vacation, mud baths and all... but I do not recall reading that you were heading off to Holland. Or for how long??? You say you have your internet hooked up and that there may even be snow in the new year... so are you staying there for a long time??

I'm glad you got your internet hooked up and can stay in touch with us from there :):)

Happy New Year to you too!!!

Huggggggs,

Cheryl
  • trainer
    trainer Member Posts: 241
    Options
    Gelukkig Nieuwjaar! (Happy New Year)
    You are a never-ending source of surprises and entertainment for those of us who are stuck here in the mundane world of everyday routines. First Turkey with mud baths and now Holland for the holidays. Have a great time for all us Semicolons.-Mike
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Wow
    I'm glad you arrived safely. Hope you have a wonderful time! The biggest trip I've taken lately is from North Carolina to Virginia, so I'm really thinking you're living the exotic life. *smiles*

I loved the part about the field welcoming you. Sounds so sweet.

*Hugs*
    Gail
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Blessings all around!
    Sounds like you were indeed being watching by an angel! Have a good time and come back to the states soon!
    mary
  • VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    Options
    Hi Kathi!
    Boy am I jealous! I love Holland. I once stayed at a lovely B&B in Zeist,, and I didn't want to go home! Oh, the food. And nice, nice people. Funny story, when I checked in (I was traveling on business & was used to big hotels) I asked for a wake-up call. A few minutes after I went to my room, the manager came up and showed me how to work the alarm clock! He did not sleep in the same building as the rooms and he was a bit confused as to why he should get up and call me in the morning! LOL!

Have a great and Happy New Year!

Vicki
  • kmygil
    kmygil Member Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Wonderful!
    Hi Kathi! Enjoy your trip to Holland. I love your travelogue--it's like a new treat all the time. Be happy, be healthy. Enjoy!!!!

Hugs,
    Kirsten