Invited to speak

Options
tootsie1
tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I've just been invited by our local Relay for Life organizers to be a speaker at the kickoff event. They said they just need a short little bit on my "cancer experience." I want to do it, but I hope I don't stand there and cry. Cancer always makes me cry. Yikes. I'm not a shy person, but I don't want to mess this up. Help!

Gail

Comments

• Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Options
    Its ok to cry.........
    Crying gets peoples attention, fast...I cry every time I talk about it. Its a natural thing to be upset about a killer. I can say though that because of my new found disease that there was an outbreak of colonoscopies done where I work at. There were also 2 that were found pre cancerous and got real lucky that they went when they did. Although none but mine were cancerous there were a lot of scares. Thank God for my diagnosis because it saved 2 from going through the same thing as I have. Talk about early colonoscopies and the lives that they save. Talk about family histories and how they effect peoples health. How families with a history should go 10 years earlier than normal. You have so much to draw on in here that I feel you were picked as a blessing to be shared in someones life, and sharing that blessing will actually save someones life by speaking out about it. Each one of us in here have a story to tell. Simply tell yours and the upheaval that it brings into yours and your loved ones lives and that should be enough incentive to get people in to be checked.............God Bless ya........He is using you for this talk... :-)
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    how exciting!
    I spoke at my church during colon cancer awareness month (march) in 2005. It always means so much more when a survivor speaks and nobody will care about the tears (they won't be able to see yours through theirs anyhow!). You will do a good job and like Buzzard said, God will use you to reach someone He hasn't been having any luck in reaching! SOMEONE will get checked and be found to have precancerous polyps, have them removed, and won't have to join our club!
    mary
  • tootsie1
    Options
    msccolon said:

how exciting!
    I spoke at my church during colon cancer awareness month (march) in 2005. It always means so much more when a survivor speaks and nobody will care about the tears (they won't be able to see yours through theirs anyhow!). You will do a good job and like Buzzard said, God will use you to reach someone He hasn't been having any luck in reaching! SOMEONE will get checked and be found to have precancerous polyps, have them removed, and won't have to join our club!
    mary

Thanks
    Thank you both for the encouragement. I'm just praying that God will give me the right words to speak when the time comes. I DO want to encourage others to be tested. It's so important!

The event is Jan. 15. I'll let y'all know how I do.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Options
    tootsie1 said:

Thanks
    Thank you both for the encouragement. I'm just praying that God will give me the right words to speak when the time comes. I DO want to encourage others to be tested. It's so important!

The event is Jan. 15. I'll let y'all know how I do.

*hugs*
    Gail

We already know
    We already know how you'll do...............absolutely fine.......... :-)
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    You will do GREAT!!!!
    What an honor!!! And, everyone will be so blown away by your spirit, no one will notice a few tears...

I remember speaking at a Relay during luminaria. I spoke of the light that spreads throughout everyone in your support team, how it gathers and builds to shine for everyone to see....

(And I cried, lost my voice twice, and still got big hugs after...)

Hugs, Kathi
  • kmygil
    kmygil Member Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Crying
    Hi Gail,

If you were to speak to people about the victims of a serial killer, you would not feel self-conscious about crying. Well, cancer is a serial killer and a mass murderer. If just one person gets themselves checked out for this, you have spared a victim. Go ahead and cry, Gail.

Hugs,
    Kirsten
  • funnyguy
    funnyguy Member Posts: 89
    Options
    Go Get 'Em!
    So what if you cry...as others have said...someone will get checked and you'll save their lives!

I've seen this in action and believe you will make a difference.
  • tootsie1
    Options
    funnyguy said:

Go Get 'Em!
    So what if you cry...as others have said...someone will get checked and you'll save their lives!

I've seen this in action and believe you will make a difference.

It's coming together
    I've decided to end my speech with an essay I wrote last year right after I resumed taking care of my grandsons. I'll post it to my about me page. Thanks for all the encouragement.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • tootsie1
    Options
    tootsie1 said:

It's coming together
    I've decided to end my speech with an essay I wrote last year right after I resumed taking care of my grandsons. I'll post it to my about me page. Thanks for all the encouragement.

*hugs*
    Gail

Posted it
    I posted the story. Click on my "About Me" page and look under "expressions."

My grandsons are precious!

Gail