PET Scan- what's it like?

Options
trainer
trainer Member Posts: 241
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hello, fellow semicolons and a Happy New Year to you! In early February, 2009, I'll go in for my first PET Scan. It will be the first such scan for me and my first ONC checkup since my colon resection in October, 2008. After the surgery, the ONC took a baseline blood work-up, so they'll be doing another blood checkup for comparison. Since I've never had a PET Scan, I thought someone on this board might be able to share their experience with me.

FYI, I've been a busy NED the Nag since my resection and have convinced 54 people who're in the zone but never got a screening to "get 'r done." It's scary how many people out there have ignored this easy test. I should know, I was one of them. As you may or may not recall, I had my first screening done in September and cancer was found in a polyp. But it was found early and it was removed, then a resection and no evidence of disease was found.

So, I can't say I'm not a bit nervous about this next exam. Thanks for your input, it is very much appreciated.-Mike

Comments

• dixchi
    dixchi Member Posts: 431
    Options
    PET
    I've had a few of the PET scans and they are not bad. You have to not eat or drink anything
    for 6 hours before the test except 90 minutes before the test you drink 16-24 ounces of water.
    They also ask you not to do any strenuous exercise the day before; the reason being that it
    affects your glucose level. When you go in, they will take a glucose level to see what it is;
    then you will be injected with a small amount of radioactive material so the scan lights up
    areas of your body. You have to wait about 45 minutes after the injection and then the test
    is taken. You have to lie on your back for up to 45 minutes while the test is being done.
    In all, I would say it is not a difficult test to go through at all. The PET lights up
    everything even inflamed areas that are not CA; it lights up a torn rotator cuff I have so
    everything it detects is not CA.
  • taraHK
    taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
    Options
    A few other thoughts
    Dixichick has given a great description of the process. I'll just reiterate that it is not bad at all. You do have to have a needle inserted on the back of your hand. Also, when you lie down for the test, you have to put your hands above your head. Can get a bit achy -- make sure you are as comfortable as you can be before the test begins, because you can't move after the test begins. I ask for a blanket to be put over/arond my hands, for example (I'm a wimp with the cold!). But, the test is quiet and painless. If you will be having a 'contrast', they may do the test twice (after a brief rest) -- to see if there are any changes before and after the contrast. So don't freak out if they do that. Of course, it is not easy lying there -- wondering.....Try to keep the fears at bay! I try to use 'positive mental imagery' during the test. Do you know when you will get the results? The waiting is hard! I always push a little to see if I can get the results earlier :)

Best wishes to you
    Tara
  • taraHK said:

A few other thoughts
    Dixichick has given a great description of the process. I'll just reiterate that it is not bad at all. You do have to have a needle inserted on the back of your hand. Also, when you lie down for the test, you have to put your hands above your head. Can get a bit achy -- make sure you are as comfortable as you can be before the test begins, because you can't move after the test begins. I ask for a blanket to be put over/arond my hands, for example (I'm a wimp with the cold!). But, the test is quiet and painless. If you will be having a 'contrast', they may do the test twice (after a brief rest) -- to see if there are any changes before and after the contrast. So don't freak out if they do that. Of course, it is not easy lying there -- wondering.....Try to keep the fears at bay! I try to use 'positive mental imagery' during the test. Do you know when you will get the results? The waiting is hard! I always push a little to see if I can get the results earlier :)

Best wishes to you
    Tara

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • CherylHutch
    CherylHutch Member Posts: 1,375
    Options
    PET Scan
    Mike... you will sail through the scan! There is nothing painful or uncomfortable about it at all. Have you had a CAT scan done? Think of it as a CAT scan but it takes longer. With the CAT scan, you are laying on the bed and the bed moves into the scanner and out again. With the PET, it's the same type of machine only the inside is longer. Instead of moving in and out.. they put you in, then move you an inch or so, then stop while the scan takes the picture, then another inch while the scan takes a picture. They are basically taking pictures from head to thigh, so if you are a tall person it will take longer than a short person. You'll be in the machine anywhere from 30-45 minutes depending on how long you are :D

Prior to the scn you do get an IV prior to the scan so they can put the radioactive glucose stuff in you, and then you get put in a comfy reclining chair for about an hour. I thought this would be the perfect time to take a book to read or knitting to keep my hands occupied. WRONG! As was explained to me, just the movement of turning pages or using the knitting needles uses energy which, in turn forms glucose which then would light up the scan. You want to just go into na-na-land. Meditating is a good thing and totally relaxing.

Before you get the results back, I'll mention it here so you don't panic. The PET scan is looking for cancer cells which light up the PET scan because fast growing cells form a glucose substance, which the radioactive stuff will stick to.. hence why the area lights up. But, so does infection, and scar tissue. Before they hook you up with an IV there will be a questionaire to fill out, listing previous surgeries, infections, etc. IE: if you say you've had your appendix out and the scan lights up at the appendix scar, they aren't going to be too concerned about that.

I didn't tell them about a cyst I had had on my back, that had gotten infected and I had to have it drained about 3 weeks before the PET scan. To tell you the truth, I never even thought about it. Out of sight, out of mind. It no longer hurt and had healed. Well, that puppy lit up like a Christmas tree and while I was getting changed after the scan, the technician came our and said she wanted to look at my back, asking me if I had had any back trauma or infection recently. "Hmmm... no... oh wait, ya, I had an infected cyst". As soon as she saw the scar, she said, "Well that explains that... no problem!" :D

But the procedure for the scan itself... if anything, you'll be bored... but nothing else :)

Huggggggs,

Cheryl
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Claustrophobic?
    All I have to add is that if you tend towards claustrophobia, bring some ativan! I figured I'd tough it out the first time I was scanned (how bad could it really be?) and spent the entire time in the machine imagining myself freaking out and banging up against the inside of the machine! :). I tried to position myself so I could spend the least amount of time unable to see one end or the other, but it didn't really work. The table gets jammed up really close to the top of the machine, I suppose that's where the laser is, but SHEESH! I ALMOST told them they had to pull me out, but I was darned if I was going to wimp out after all I'd already been through! Needless to say, from now on I bring ativan and when they leave me to relax while the radiation courses through my veins I had ativan to the mix and I haven't had any problems since!
    mary