depression/Femara

Options
ohilly
ohilly Member Posts: 441
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Lately I have been very, very depressed. Maybe it's circumstantial: my mother died three months ago and I have had many other problems this year, but I started wondering if it could be the Femara? Has anyone had this side-effect from Femara, and if so, what did you do? I want to stay on the Femara because I believe it is the best I can do to help prevent a recurrence.

Ohilly

Comments

• mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    Discuss this with your
    Discuss this with your doctor. Though Femara may cause mood swings and such, if you are very depressed, it may be because of all the other extenuating circumstances you've been through. This year was a tough one for you. Hoping 2009 brings you health, peace and happiness. Hugs, lili
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Options
    I wonder.....
    Hi Ohilly, I agree with Lilli, definitely run this by your doctor. But it may be trickey to figure out if its the Femara or the events of the past year taking their toll on you. Maybe he will take you off of it for a short while and see if your depression improves or stays the same. Let us know what you find out, ok? Eil Hang in there.
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
    Options
    Eil4186 said:

I wonder.....
    Hi Ohilly, I agree with Lilli, definitely run this by your doctor. But it may be trickey to figure out if its the Femara or the events of the past year taking their toll on you. Maybe he will take you off of it for a short while and see if your depression improves or stays the same. Let us know what you find out, ok? Eil Hang in there.

depression/Femara
    Ohilly, I also experienced extreme depression while on Femara, and the oncologist told me that this was definitely a side effect of the drug. He changed me to Tamoxifen, and so far I have done better on this. The depression was dibilitating for me, and it really was more than I could wrap myself around. I did take a two week vacation from Femara, and found that my depression began to lift after about a week, so definitely think it was drug related. However, like Eli said, some of the events of the cancer itself will cause depression, as well as life events that took place in your life. Discuss this with your oncologist, and maybe he can give you something to take for the depression so that you can keep taking the drug. Don't give up yet, as this may be a temporary setback. Hugs your way.

Judy